JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Last year, after the election, I told everybody who would listen to "figure out how much ammo you're going to need the rest of your life and GET IT!" That is still good advise. If those "lame-duckers" decide to get revenge on the people who voted against them this last election, we will see shortages all over again.

"figure out how much ammo you're going to need the rest of your life and GET IT!"

Hm... Lets see, lets say 300rds of 5.56 and 9mm/mo, and 500rds of .22lr/mo. At 12 months/year and about 75 years to go (nothin' wrong with being optimistic...) that means I need at least 270000rds of 5.56, 270000rds of 9mm, and 450000rds of .22lr. :eek:

Guess I better get started, and hope no one bans ammo or anything crazy like that!

If it isnt a fire rated safe problem solved. Wonder why they store military ammo in sealed cans for years Hmmmmmm.

A fire-rated safe full of ammo is just a bomb with a longer fuse.

Those "sealed" ammo cans are watertight, but that doesn't mean they could build up much internal pressure before the top bows and the gases vent.

Heck, don't take my word for it - check what the safe manufacturers say.

A fire-rated safe full of ammo is just a bomb with a longer fuse.

Those "sealed" ammo cans are watertight, but that doesn't mean they could build up much internal pressure before the top bows and the gases vent.

Heck, don't take my word for it - check what the safe manufacturers say.

To CLARIFY the safe is NOT fire rated for that reason.

Back before this whole obama thing started. Every two weeks when I cashed my paycheck, I would stop by wallyworld pick up two boxes of .308 Win hunting ammo, a brick of .22LR (the 550 packs), two boxes of .45ACP, and sometimes a few boxes of .223.

When any of the normal calibers were in short supply, or if there was a good price, I would pick up .17HMR (which for a while was $8/box!), pellets, pellet rifles, 9mm, 12ga, 20ga. Whatever it was...

It usually cost about $50-60. Compounded over time, that purchasing decision means I now have more ammo than I know what to do with, possibly by several standard variations. When the shortages started hitting, other than the fact that i was buying a lot more pellets and other off calibers it didn't impact my shooting schedule at all. Since I usually shoot my reloads anyways.

As far as reloading after TSHTF goes... worst idea ever. Unless you have a powder mill, a primer assembly line, a big set of draw presses, a copper and a lead mine handy, you will soon be in the same situation everyone who did stock up on ammunition did. However, unlike them, you need to spend time that could otherwise be spent gardening, on watch, or sleeping making more ammo.

Reloading is a great way to make ammo for practice and storage now, but it will be a fatal strategy during an extended interruption of the civil order.

As far as reloading after TSHTF goes... worst idea ever. Unless you have a powder mill, a primer assembly line, a big set of draw presses, a copper and a lead mine handy, you will soon be in the same situation everyone who did stock up on ammunition did. However, unlike them, you need to spend time that could otherwise be spent gardening, on watch, or sleeping making more ammo.

Reloading is a great way to make ammo for practice and storage now, but it will be a fatal strategy during an extended interruption of the civil order.

Reloading after a SHTF is no worse than gardening afterwards!!! :s0112:

My current goal is 2k rounds per rifle and 1k rounds per pistol, plus 10k 22LR and 1k buckshot, and a small stash of match rounds for the high-power scope rifles and self-defense rounds for the pistols.

Let's just say I have a family that sees preparedness as paranoia and I'm pretty certain they'll come running to me some day for help.

Planning. All the ammo in the world does you no good at the first river crossing without a boat:D:D Really, the more things you stockpile makes your plans for you. Remember all the pictures that came out of Afganistan of the piles of ammo left behind by the enemy? Are you buying it to be left behind:s0112::s0112:

jj

Unless you are planning on walking around outside, among the peaceful throng, I would suggest stocking more rifle (Long Range) and shotgun (Close Range) than pistol (Can't Hit The Walls From Inside the House) in a situation like this.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top