JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
How much do I need?

How much you got? I'm an ammosexual.
Screenshot_20220208-181026_Opera.jpg

-Robert

I was always taught that this is a trick question; the answer of course is that you can never have enough!

My quantities fluctuate, but I have slowly reached a point where I can accumulate more than I shoot (all while increasing the frequency at which I am able to go shooting).

I don't foresee myself ever setting a hard cap on how much I stockpile; my finances and storage space being the only limitations!

My dad had a box of 50 .22lr in the cupboard, and a half box of 12 gauge. That was enough to have on hand for the farm. Until a disturbing incident happened, then it was several more boxes of buckshot, a few boxes of .44 mag, a bunch of 9mm. A couple hundred rounds was a bunch by his measure; I realize it's barely a range day warm-up for many of you all.

I have several thousand rounds of 8mm Mauser and 7.62x54R. I don't shoot those calibers much anymore, so it's a lot more than I need nowadays.
if you want to offload some of that 8mm, let me know

P1030599.JPG

Assuming a person is not prepping for TEOTWAWKI, even minimal ammo for hunting would be say 5 rounds per year to check the point of aim. I would not assume that just because I sighted it in once, that it is going to stay sighted in. I would at least check it each year before hunting season. The scope/mount could have been jarred severely enough that the POI no longer matches the point of aim.

So at least 5-10 rounds per year.

Given the shortages in ammo we have seen in the past, I also would not count on being able to get more when I wanted it, so I would have extra. And shortages can last for years.

That said, I probably have more hunting caliber ammo than I would ever use - e.g., 1500 rounds of .44 mag, which I will probably never use up. I didn't intend to have that much, but I stumbled across a decent deal on 800 rds so I went ahead and bought it. Worst case, I can sell/trade some of it later.

OTOH, I only have about 100+ rds of .45-70 and 100+ rds of .460 mag. That is maybe minimum for those calibers.

Overall, I have about 75K-80K rounds of ammo set back, about half centerfire, half rimfire - in 15 different calibers (including shotgun ammo).

Last Edited:
I like a 50 cal ammo can full per caliber. Last week I decided to shoot one of my 40S&W's so I grabbed the M&P 40 Shield and the 40 ammo can. Today I decided to shoot 45acp and 10mm. So you know it, I grab the 2 guns and their ammo cans and spent an enjoyable hour or two at the range. I did notice the 10mm ammo can is down to less that half full so I'll be filling it back up the next time I make that caliber.

Hmmm.

4 rounds to sight in and 1-2 to kill big game?

Thats fair.

But…. How are you training and getting dope for the rifle?

How many offhand, kneeling, sitting and prone reps you putting in?

Where does that rifle hit at 250? 325? 400?

Or is it just some hail mary bubblegum?

I tell everyone I know…. Buy /make a lifetime supply.

How many rounds do you use annually and how many years will you run the system.

Ammo and components NEVER get cheaper.

Ask my buddy who shoots a case of .410 a year how much he wishes he listened to me 5 years ago.

Nice "stash".

Imagine, What If.....
Say that this occurred in the US? LOL. US LEOs "finding" this amount of ammo? Really "finding"? No mention of an investigation or suspects or how it was "found".

How about.....
"I was using this metal detector and suddenly, I got a beep."

Aloha, Mark

Nice "stash".

Aloha, Mark

No doubt they will find the serial numbers on those weapons will say they were made in the USA. :s0092:

Now, will they back check and find out which defecting Mexican soldiers those weapons were issued
to? :rolleyes:

The Mexican Govt might just ask for the US Govt's help with tracing.
The DOJ will probably contact the BATF.
Then.....it will be discovered that the weapons were part of "Operation Fast and Furious".

Next............

CRICKETS.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....for the clueless.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR