JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Interesting so far. One guy I know is all het up over some You-tuber who "uses real-life statistics" and then bends them into pretzels. "So far in Afghanistan, only SIX US soldiers were killed by small arms fire due to full body amour, so in a SHTF situation small arms and ammo will be worthless...". How many rioters/looters do you see wearing US military full body ballistic armor?

"Statistics show that the average gun fight takes only 2.9 rounds per fight. So one box of 50 rds of defensive ammo will last you 16 firefights and if you think you can survive 16 firefights you are crazy!" OK, besides the idea of 2.9 letting you have a couple more fights, you apparently are not test firing the ammo through your guns to see if they function, shoot to point of aim, or how they work in a test medium for yourself.

Then accompanying the babbling he has a photo of a NYC rag article about how the NYPD gunned down an African who moved to NYC. Seems he had some no good nick following him (NYPD undercover) and ran home only to have the criminal type (read the Playboy series on Murder Inc. if you doubt it was a criminal type) following him, he gets home and is trying to get in the locked door (in an inset vestibule so the guy is trapped in a narrow box) and then MORE show up and fire 43 TIMES at the poor snot at FIVE FEET and hit him SIX TIMES! How wide was the vestibule? Four feet? 6 feet? Seems these armed and "trained police officers" needed more than 2.9 rds to EACH subdue an unarmed and trapped innocent victim from 5 feet away! And you think you can do better?! The list of stupidities just goes on and on and on, but you get the idea.

OK, former anti-gun/liberal/BLM supporter, now a new gun-owning, Donald supporting conservative, who finally figured that gun ownership is suddenly a great idea when one candidate is supporting/egging on the rioters/looters/arsonists/thugs, the police are ordered to do nothing (unless the jackbooted - or is that lightfooted? - mayor or other politico's home is being threatened behind the million-dollar 8 ft high fence they just had installed while they got their hair done at the beauty shop they ordered closed but had opened just for them and didn't wear a mask.) leaving you defenseless and if you DO defend themselves against a, oh I don't know, a child raper, murderer, another felon who is holding a gun on you while the other one is trying to beat you to death with a skateboard, or trying to burn a gas station down, YOU go to prison for life and they get free medical and SS payments for life for being "traumatized" because you fought back, well I believe two boxes of ammo per gun should do you fine.

I mean, I don't want you wasting money on something you don't believe in, like guns, ammo, an armed and free populous, police protection, law and order, the ability to walk the streets safely at night, or any other time for that matter, decent schools that actually TEACH something besides how to get in touch with your feelings, twerking (or what-ever it is), and how bad it is to live in (one of) the free(er) countries in the world and being controlled from womb (if you get out alive, and up to FIVE DAYS later if you do) to tomb (which they get to decide when that time is naturally, say five days after birth) is sooooo much better.

Last Edited:
I started stocking up on ammo, not for SHTF scenarios, but to keep me in ammo during retirement when I had more time to go shooting. Unfortunately as I got close to 65, I started having illnesses and injuries that prevented me from shooting as much as I had planned. I am slowly recovering and getting my bubblegume together. I retired early due to a migraine condition that left me so dizzy that I couldn't even drive for months. It is under control now, but took years to diagnose. Barring any other surprises, I am almost ready to go and plan on shooting at least 1000 rounds before the election - just to make sure all of my guns are sighted in and ready when I pull them out of the safe (or wherever they reside).

I did stock up on several calibers that would be useful for SHTF scenarios - vest or no vest. I also stocked up on reloading supplies, but like many find myself semi-short on SRP.

Let me ask this of anybody who prepares for civil unrest and thinks that a couple hundred rounds total is enough. Do you really think that you will only have a single encounter? why?

I'll ask you another first. Say you've got 200 rounds, and you ran out. How many people did you kill with those 200?

If the answer is one or two, you need to improve your accuracy. If the answer is 200, or 100, then you'd better quit while you're ahead. :)

Of course if your fighting boils down to getting a lot of lead in the air, like the military does, then 200 rounds will not be enough - but you are making a mistake. Militia groups can't fight like the military, because we have no large supply chain backing us up. "Shoot and scoot." 4GW is different than what the military does.

So more is better, yes, but don't despair if you don't have a case.

At that point, unless you know how to be self-sufficient in the forest or whatever, the only thing ammunition will give you is a postponement of your death.

Well, that, and taking a bunch of bastards with you when you die. That's got to be worth something. :D

Last Edited:
how much ammo is a "reasonable" amount
For an AR minimum is 210 rounds basic load out 7 mags worth.
At 500 rds that leaves enough practice ammo.

Now that Ive said that. Do as I say not as I do.
My main rifles are 30-06, I have over 12,000 Lake City virgin cases.
Along with the stuff to make them whole again.
Those cases can make 308, 45ACP, 25-06, 8mm-06 and a whole bunch more.
OR I can burn up my brand new national match barrel on the Garand and the Shilen barrel on the bolt gun.

when I worked in Portland back in 1990, a work mate bought a new Ruger 7mm Mag and a 20 rnd box of ammo
he used 4 rnds to sight it in, then used one round a year to get his Elk
I left the company, but ran into the guy 12 years later - asked how his rifle was doing
he told me he still has several rounds in his original box of ammo

So? How much ammo do you need?

my ammo supply is more a want than need - never know when one will want 1000 rnd of 7.62x54R or 8mm Mauser

Depends on the firearm and it's intended usage. If you are into preparedness then likely you want more than someone who is an occasional plinker and hunter. If you are thinking SHTF then a common recommendation is one semiautomatic AR/AK/etc rifle per person and 2,000 rounds minimum per person, plus one shotgun w/ 500 rounds, and 200 rounds per bolt action. Don't forget at least 10,000 rounds of 22LR and 1,000 rounds for each pistol.

For casual hunting and plinking a box or two of ammo for each cartridge and a brick of 22LR is dandy.

It's all about what you are looking to do.

My dad had a box of 50 .22lr in the cupboard, and a half box of 12 gauge. That was enough to have on hand for the farm. Until a disturbing incident happened, then it was several more boxes of buckshot, a few boxes of .44 mag, a bunch of 9mm. A couple hundred rounds was a bunch by his measure; I realize it's barely a range day warm-up for many of you all.

I have several thousand rounds of 8mm Mauser and 7.62x54R. I don't shoot those calibers much anymore, so it's a lot more than I need nowadays.

I have been on an ammo buying binge this winter, seems like every time I see something priced reasonably I am all over it. the safe is full, my dresser is full, ammo stashed in the pickup, ammo stashed in the shop. going to go shoot some of it Friday, then back on the hunt.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top