JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It's like finding the square root of Pi. One 50 cal ammo can per firearm and the correct number of firearms is just one more......
Only one 50 cal ammo can per firearm? Seems so, limited….

My wife used to get on me, telling me I didn't need any more ammo. Until the covid farce and empty ammo shelves in the stores. Now, no more questions…

I have a spreadsheet in order to keep track of my ammo, what I paid per round for each caliber of ammo, round nose, JHP, where and when….
my bed is a Captains Bunk with false drawers below. Behind the drawer fronts are ammo cans and wooden crates of Russian ammo
every year, I pull them out and am amazed on what I've stockpiled
I purchased 9mm NATO the first year of Biden and found I already had ammo cans of the stuff under the bed

Only one 50 cal ammo can per firearm? Seems so, limited….

My wife used to get on me, telling me I didn't need any more ammo. Until the covid farce and empty ammo shelves in the stores. Now, no more questions…
It is limited only by the number of firearms which I have 27 of and I'm on the look out for what's next.

Edited to add that's just my personal stash, not counting the 10,000 rounds a week I make for other people.

Last Edited:
my bed is a Captains Bunk with false drawers below. Behind the drawer fronts are ammo cans and wooden crates of Russian ammo
every year, I pull them out and am amazed on what I've stockpiled
I purchased 9mm NATO the first year of Biden and found I already had ammo cans of the stuff under the bed
that's why i keep an inventory - just a text file - but enough to know what i have

How much ammo...

Defensive SHTF Ammo Stash
Rifle: 1000 rnds
Pistol: 500 - 1000 rnds
Shotgun 500 - 1000 rnds

Ammo On Hand Stash For Practice Etc: This will vary for each person. At this point we have seen ammo shortages lasting at least 2 years. The current ammo shortage is at 2 years and still counting. So prior to this I would have said that a person should have at least a 2 year supply on hand, based on the number of rounds you shoot per month, and would use in a 2 year period.

But as I said, we're now at 2 years and still counting. So however long this current shortage lasts, will be the new benchmark. And if you really want to be safe...maybe...then add another 50% on top of it. So if the current shortage lasts for 3 years, then you should have a 4.5 year supply of ammo on hand.

And note your SHTF supply is completely separate from your "On Hand" stash. Also, if you plan/hope to hunt in a SHTF scenario, then you'll need to add ammo accordingly to support that.

Good luck! And may the odds be ever in your favor!

WOLVERINES!

I suspect that we have a strong representation of engineers here. Many of you guys are impressively detailed and organized.

To be honest, I have no idea how many rounds I have of many calibers, and I don't keep track of what I paid, at least in writing. I'm not knocking those who do- to each their own. It just doesn't really matter to me.

I probably should do a basic inventory of 22lr at least. I have a LOT of it. After the last shortage ended I went a little nuts when 22 ammo came back cheap and plentiful. I'd buy a brick here and there whenever I ran across it at a good price. No, I don't have a ton by some of you all's standards, you guys who buy it by the pallet, but I have enough to last many years at the smallish rate that we go through it.

I really thought about stocking up in a big way with primers at the same time, when they were fairly commonly had for $100 to $150 per 5k. It was available and I had the money at the time, but the only reason I didn't was because I didn't want to run afoul of local fire code.

I've been a few different states recently. Availability seems good in some places but prices are high. Local Bimart has the best prices (still high) but the selection is low.

I might be tempted to secure more x39 even though I probably have enough. I don't pretend to know the future.

back during ONE of the ammo crisis, I was working in Lexington, KT
locals told me of a gun shop out in NW KT, near the border of Illinois, Missouri and Ohio
they had a link for your phone that would notify you when ammo was in
So, my phone told me they had just received a load of ammo, I took a day off and drove out there
found this structure in the corn fields with a big parking lot and a bar across the lot
the parking lot had venders with cooked food, beer and something call "apple pie" in bottles
the semi trailer was still outback and the ammo was just on pallets in the warehouse, they didn't even unload the pallets
cars, trucks and U-Haul trucks in the parking lot with license plats from 5 states
it was like party central with BBQ, beer and pallets of ammo

How much ammo is enough?

EC5C0B57-17DA-4FF5-B905-D6A39A12EBF4.png

DDA407DC-64E2-44B4-9C84-504D6E223927.jpeg

3C520405-5381-4BCB-A786-291A1D143D41.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR