JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
back during ONE of the ammo crisis, I was working in Lexington, KT
locals told me of a gun shop out in NW KT, near the border of Illinois, Missouri and Ohio
they had a link for your phone that would notify you when ammo was in
So, my phone told me they had just received a load of ammo, I took a day off and drove out there
found this structure in the corn fields with a big parking lot and a bar across the lot
the parking lot had venders with cooked food, beer and something call "apple pie" in bottles
the semi trailer was still outback and the ammo was just on pallets in the warehouse, they didn't even unload the pallets
cars, trucks and U-Haul trucks in the parking lot with license plats from 5 states
it was like party central with BBQ, beer and pallets of ammo
Apple pie?

It sounds like the homemade drink in the JUSTIFIED series!

It was a VERY good show and we have it on discs. The newer set has CC for the hearing impaired on the discs too.

Cool story and thanks for sharing.

Cate

I did the spread sheet inventory for a bit but it was pointless for me as I am always shooting and purchasing more than I shoot, always having a net gain.

The answer for me I guess is MORE.

Not sure the liquor stores all carry it here in Oregon but there is an "Apple Pie Moonshine" that someone makes that is pretty good…
I know a fella up in the Gorge that makes it. Tastes like hot apple pie. It's dangerous.

I answered this ammo question before, but I can do it again.
It's not a number that exists.

I stocked up too much back when ammo was more readily available. When the availability went away and prices rose, I counted it up. I thought that having 22,000+ rounds of quality 5.56 was a tad on the high side so I sold some off to folks that were in need, along with the too much 9mm, .308 and .45 as well. I likely still have too much, but it's in the range of "not as crazy" quantity. Part of my rational at the time besides the fact that new shooters needed it was the shock that I'd have to move it all to the new homes my wife was eyeballing on the internet. It was good to cut some loose.

I stocked up too much back when ammo was more readily available. When the availability went away and prices rose, I counted it up. I thought that having 22,000+ rounds of quality 5.56 was a tad on the high side so I sold some off to folks that were in need, along with the too much 9mm, .308 and .45 as well. I likely still have too much, but it's in the range of "not as crazy" quantity. Part of my rational at the time besides the fact that new shooters needed it was the shock that I'd have to move it all to the new homes my wife was eyeballing on the internet. It was good to cut some loose.
I did something similar. I wish I hadn't sold anything, though.
I did so with the mindset that I could replace it later when inventory increased, or use the minimal profit I made in one case to buy more when the prices came down, but so far neither of those have really happened.

For a first time gun owner, once they've picked their weapon, how much ammo is a "reasonable" amount to keep on hand for practice, self defense, extra mags loaded, easily portable if needing to "bug out", or trading for the apocalypse, etc before you start getting "toilet paper hoarding" level absurd? 1K rounds?
I think that if you don't like the availability or prices of this current ammo market (well, since fall of 2020) crisis, you probably need enough to get you through the next one. I used to think having a year and a half of ammo (based on how much I practice) was good, but obviously this last ammo crisis proved me wrong... so I've upped it significantly. I've also found its really worth it to have a good stock to sell as well...

Not sure the liquor stores all carry it here in Oregon but there is an "Apple Pie Moonshine" that someone makes that is pretty good…
McMenamin's has an apple flavored Whisky that is really good if you like flavored whiskys. And they can ship it to your door in Oregon.

Who would've thought steel cased 7.62x39 would be the winner? If you stacked it high at 23-25 cents a round, it's like Bitcoin. You could by a house or yacht from the profits.

I've barely had time to shoot this winter/fall or whatever it is, and replaced what I shot at current prices. I also have somewhat of a ceiling. Not much more ammo than I could transport.

huxh6bg2oml81.jpg

Where did you find a case of .40 ? I need to do that as well !
White Birch Armory in Dover, NH. They have 180 grain as well for a few dollars more. Shipping was only $15

How much is enough? Well, I will say during this recent ammo shortage I reached my red line minimum for pistol and revolver ammunition. Seemed like I could always find .22 ammo so I actually shot more rinfire and kept my inventory at a satisfactory level. Shotgun and rifle not shot as much so ok there. I'm slowing recovering. I notice more ammo, at least on my on-line go-to's, although revolver ammo can still be scarce. Obvioiusly prices are inflated. Recently I "bit the bullet" and purchased a couple boxes of 9mm Speer Gold Dot, 124 grn +P, short barrel. I had not seen this in two years. I do track my inventory. I'm not where I want to be yet, but well off the 'red line'.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top