JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As another poster already stated, everyone dies alone.

I have a neighbor who is in his early or mid-70's. I believe technically he's "retired". I have watched him work on cars, restoring them and building hot-rod type vehicles from the ground up putting in at least 40 hour workweeks the entire time he's been here. I have had some lengthy conversations with him about a lot of things. A year or two ago I saw an ambulance over at his house. I talked to him the next week, basically he'd had some faintness and they took him to the hospital.

He was talking about his health and said the doctor couldn't believe his age because of his physical condition. He attributed this to the fact he doesn't want to just sit around at the coffee shop with all "the old guys telling stories.." And he's still at it, working a full week doing a lot of manual labor.

We had another neighbor who was in her late 80s. She was reasonably active it seemed, then over the course of a couple months I heard she'd had a couple falls. She moved to a retirement home a short distance away. She was dead within a few months of the move. From what I've seen it appears if you're kind of sitting around waiting to die, it's going to happen sooner.

That's the truth.
Keeping your body moving, working out retaining some muscle to move your sack of bones around will be you going.

I work with a tech that does the same job as guys literally half his age. He's now in his upper 60s and still works everyday, barely takes a day off all year.
I asked him one day why he doesn't take some time off, told him we'd cover his work, but he said if he stays come even one day and doesn't move he can hardly get back going again.
He has been slowing down the last couple years and we all joke that well find him dead one day under a peice of equipment.
But the guy has nothing else, no retirement. Just work until he dies.

Because of him I've been seriously thinking about changing professions.

It is partly genetics and partly your state of health.

I've had some injuries that make it difficult to do physical work as much as someone half my age - if I had such a job I wouldn't last long. I know a guy who worked on the Boeing production line - his knees eventually gave out. Eventually physical work can wear you down.

But there is also other things - stroke, heart disease and so on. My mom was very active after retirement, but eventually her heart gave out after getting worse and worse (despite open heart surgery and a pacemaker) and having multiple strokes.

My grandparents worked on their farm until they couldn't anymore and then still kept busy.

I anticipate I won't live any longer than my parents and grandparents, which at best gives me about 20 more years, the last 5 to 10 years in a noticeable decline. If/when it gets to the point where I can't take care of myself (bed ridden/etc.), then I will elect for assisted suicide.

I spent a lot of time in the gym over the years. I've seen very healthy people die or have massive heart attacks.
People that are marathon runners, cyclists, and even the vegans!

Cancer, stroke, heart attacks, there is a lot in this life that will take you when it wants to. Live for each day, kiss and hug loved ones often, and don't be overly critical of what you do.
Don't eat like a rabbit because it's "healthy" death will find you eventually.
Might as well enjoy that big juicy bacan wrapped burger.

d7160b80a5290134100b005056a9545d.jpg

it's just that introverts require more time alone to recharge between intense social activities. Extroverts, on the other hand find alone time to be draining, and are energized by being around others.

Spot on.

For those that follow such things as the MBTI personality types, I am an ISTJ

Hmm, me too. Introverted: pegged out to the wall; solitude in nature or the workshop is my means of recharging. Sensory: pegged out, not an intuitive bone in the body. Thinking: pegged out, no feelings need be considered. Judgemental: just over the line from Perceptive. I tend to be judgemental with people and things; perceptive with ideas and concepts.

Romans 8:38-39
For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

1 Corinthians 15:51-57

Behold! I tell you a mystery. We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we shall be changed. For this perishable body must put on the imperishable, and this mortal body must put on immortality. When the perishable puts on the imperishable, and the mortal puts on immortality, then shall come to pass the saying that is written: "Death is swallowed up in victory." "O death, where is your victory? O death, where is your sting?"

I don't want to die alone, but sometimes I wonder if it would be easier for me to go, not seeing my loved ones see me suffer.

I have some health issues and have been tested for an absurd number of fatal diseases this year. (All negative so far.) And I don't think pondering mortality is unhealthy. I am considerably younger than some of y'all. However, I have had to stare that down this year.

I have young children. I do not want to go. I also wonder what the future holds for me.

I don't want to die alone, but sometimes I wonder if it would be easier for me to go, not seeing my loved ones see me suffer.

I have some health issues and have been tested for an absurd number of fatal diseases this year. (All negative so far.) And I don't think pondering mortality is unhealthy. I am considerably younger than some of y'all. However, I have had to stare that down this year.

I have young children. I do not want to go. I also wonder what the future holds for me.

Well, my surviving children don't even know where I am, nor do they care. (It makes no difference, regardless). What really matters is that I'm enjoying my time on the earth. (It is of no concern to anyone else).

Farg 'em.

What's your other choice? Taking the wife and kids with when you die?

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top