JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Top to bottom,,,62 "trade gun". its done nice, but it's a full Octogon rifled barrel, not a half round smooth bore like it should be. Lock it reliable and it's made with quality parts. It I remember right it's a Davis lock

.45 cal fast twist barrel half stock. Very heavy rifle, bullets only fast twist. Very accurate. Made by a maker in the mid west.

..58 cal Lehman Green River Rifle Works original, not a kit. If I can see it and it's not too far that rifle will hit it with a serious whack.

Have hunted and taken Elk several times on the east side of the state where it's nice and dry... I shoot a 54 cal gun that Cabela's has stamped their name on so I'm not sure of the brand...I found the most accuracy with 425 grain hornady great plains mini's...I found that you have to work a load up for each gun and practice using the same exact technique for loading every time..what works for one gun may not work for another.....I was surprised at how much a couple of grains difference would change the accuracy...in the end for my gun... 120grains of triple 7 with 3 tamps on the loading rod was the ticket....also a flamethrower nipple has eliminated all missfires..I can shoot milk jugs off hand at 200yds all day long with it and since I won't take a shot over 100yds I'm good to go

Love those Flame Thrower nip's and breach plugs, Really does the trick. Try dremmeling out the plug just a touch and then polishing the cone while blending out the rough lip! Man, that's like adding a couple grains in it's self! Also much easier to clean when polished, and for the nubes, use never seize on the breach threads every time you pull it!

Any Rifled Musket that the Civil War reenactors use would make a dandy hunting rifle.
Yep - I hunt with a Euroarms .58 Cal Springfield 'Zouave' and what I have demonstrated with it accuracy - wise has astonished dedicated centerfire shooters! The original sights are worthless but I changed mine out with a typical bead front with a folding rear with a standard 'U' groove blade and it works very well. The 425 gr HB Great Plains bullet has no equal in it!

I also hunt with muzzleloaders but Andy has covered the subject much better than I could have.

I have a project gun that I am working on. I stripped the metal parts from my TC Renegade stock and bought a maple, Pecatonica stock to put them on. I also have a Green Mountain 62 calibre 36" barrel. I hope to end up with a decent 62 calibre smooth rifle when all is said and done.

I still have the TC 50 calibre barrel (sights and all) and the stripped stock that I will gladly give away to anyone who wants to make the drive to Vancouver.

Hail Sithis

Hey Guys,

I was thinking about looking into hunting with a muzzleloader in the future and wanted to see of any of you do it? What do you think about it? Is it worth it?

And your opinions of rifles gear. Any information you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Just remember Oregons muzzleloader hunts are primitive, meaning open ignition and iron sights. If you want to hunt with a modern inline with a scope you'll have to hunt in a centerfire hunt. Also designated muzzleloader hunts aren't the best. Being in the central zones during the rainy season mostly.

Just remember Oregons muzzleloader hunts are primitive, meaning open ignition and iron sights. If you want to hunt with a modern inline with a scope you'll have to hunt in a centerfire hunt. Also designated muzzleloader hunts aren't the best. Being in the central zones during the rainy season mostly.

I'm 73 and have been hunting the Oregon coast range with a front stuffer for the last twenty years. Most of the time that is. I do carry a pill gun once in a while. :)
I don't hunt the muzzleloader seasons, but use mine in the regular centerfire seasons. My last Buck was with a 62 cal smoothbore. This year I'll try something a little different. Instead of going further back in time, I'm moving up to Civil war period. I'll be hunting with a 45/70 (Black powder loads ) under a 405 grain bullet. For back up I'll pack my 1858 Remington revolver packed with round ball. Still makin smoke.;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top