JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm about to build an AR10 for hunting and just wondering how many others hunt deer or elk with an AR10?

I know it will be a bit heavier, but my bolt gun wasn't all that light, and being a lefty using a right handled bolt gun kinda sucks.
Never found a lefty bolt gun I liked.

A 15 rather than a 10, not a bad week for a 15 year old girl, 1 blacktail and 1 Columbia whitetail buck, the whitetail was 138 yards and dropped like it was hit with the hammer of Thor, it never even flinched!! image.jpeg image.jpeg

I'm about to build an AR10 for hunting and just wondering how many others hunt deer or elk with an AR10?

I know it will be a bit heavier, but my bolt gun wasn't all that light, and being a lefty using a right handled bolt gun kinda sucks.
Never found a lefty bolt gun I liked.
I haven't yet but aquired one this year so was toying with the idea...

Something different and something my buddies are sure to bust chops about. Unless I bring home a trophy!

I can understand not wanting a RH bolt gun.

Most of the lefties I've met that hunt prefer a lever action or pump rifle. (Maybe not over a simi-auto though I'm not sure).

Probably cheaper to buy a used hunting rifle and personally I'd rather beat on one of those then a brand new AR10 and get a scratch on it lol:p.

Looks like I am taking this year off from buying tags so I'm envious regardless:cool:.

We need more threads like this out there.
It is good to show that the AR series of rifles are something other a "Weapon of War."
( To use the opposition's phrase of choice.)

Kinda like the "I'm the NRA" ads from the 80's or 90's.
The campaign showed everyday people of different backgrounds as NRA members.
We could start showing the AR series of rifles in use by "non-tactical" people or in a "non-tactical" role.*
Show folks hunting or competing in rifle matches ( like the National Matches ) etc ...

Many people are scared of the AR series of rifles , if we can show it is no different than any other semi auto rifle and show it in a positive light it might , go a long way in combating the anti gun rhetoric out there.

* I am not against "tactical rifles" or the even word itself.
I just feel that the way these rifles are sometimes marketed or the ad imagery can come off as frightening or dangerous to folks who don't really understand or care about firearms.
Perhaps some of the very features that are appealing about the AR series are its own biggest enemies ...
Again I am not against the AR in any of its varied forms or ownership of AR rifles.
Just wondering if at times we as gun owners provide "ammo" as it were , to be used against us.
Andy

Last Edited:
Neat stuff.
Hey, perhaps another thing you might consider would be one of the "WSSM" cartridges. Legend has it that all you need is a barrel and bolt for your AR. A few companies make complete rifles.. I'm pretty sure you have to reload for it now though.
Here's a .243 WSSM vs .243 Win.. the shorty goes around 100fps faster.
They go all the way up to .35 I believe.

243wssm-243win-1.jpg

That's what I call a good parent and a daughter to he proud of!

I agree with you Andy. ARs are so much more than a military rifle. Besides cops all carry them now too.

How many rifles are out there that shoot just as good or better and just as fast as the AR but no one talks about them.

The NRA needs to release a commercial like you said, but for AR owners. Show doctors, lawyers, fathers, farmers then have them holding their AR15.

I'm a lefty and hunted coyotes with an AR-10 in .243 win. at 12# it was a bit much but shot very well. now I use a AR-15 in 6.8 spc , but also have a couple of left hand bolt actions.

View attachment 303594 View attachment 303594 View attachment 303597
Ya this last fall she went for larger horns And yes she skinned it herself. And she used a 30-06 model 700 on this one. View attachment 303596
That's parenting at its finest. I've got a 7 year old girl and 5 year old boy that I hope to have some similar pics of in 6 to 10 years. Great work! The art of hunting is rapidly disappearing and it's awesome to see it being taught to youngsters. Again, great work!

A 15 rather than a 10, not a bad week for a 15 year old girl, 1 blacktail and 1 Columbia whitetail buck, the whitetail was 138 yards and dropped like it was hit with the hammer of Thor, it never even flinched!!View attachment 302625 View attachment 302626
If you look closely at this picture, you may notice she has 2 black eyes and a knarly gash in her forehead, that was from her 7mm-08 scoping her the weekend before, it slipped off her shoulder while shooting at a running buck, and wearing a slick nylon jacket, so she switched to her AR for the next weekend, it dropped that deer faster than any she shot with the 7mm-08. Speed kills!!

Okay got her built today. A lot lighter than I was expecting and I think it's even lighter than my Remington 700.
Still need to put a scope and mount on it.
I'm not overly happy with the handguard, I'm waiting for Aero to come back out with their handguards.
And the pistol grip I bought didn't work so I have the standard one on until I can pick up a Magpul.

image.jpeg

Okay got her built today. A lot lighter than I was expecting and I think it's even lighter than my Remington 700.
I'm not overly happy with the handguard, I'm waiting for Aero to come back out with their handguards.
And the pistol grip I bought didn't work so I have the standard one on until I can pick up a Magpul.

View attachment 303770

Would hand guard covers be of any help until you can source a new one? I'm thinking along the lines of these:

SR-556E® Handguard Covers (3-Pack)-ShopRuger (http://shopruger.com/SR-556E-Handguard-Covers-3-Pack/productinfo/90373/)

No idea on compatibility, but as an example.

View attachment 303770
That looks sweet, good hunting!!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top