JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Great... first zombies, then crabs, then zombie crabs... this is sounding like a 1950s B-Movie From Hell.

I have a BOL available if trouble has the courtesy to stay this side of the Canadian border... assuming my gal doesn't break things off first (and assuming I can get to her folks' place in time). Though my goal is to design and build a house suitably fortified for Bug In and equipped to go off-grid self-reliant... maybe a guesthouse or two also so that I can offer "shelter in return for assistance" to a few trustworthy folks. :)

Last Edited:
These are pretty bullet proof (the hull is anyway, not so much the super structure), and one of few boats I would want to be on if I had to ride out a tsunami.

View attachment 304215
Here's a shot a one of those newer 47 MLB's as it went by us coming in to Illawco. They git up and go.

CIMG1451_zps63u4zoro.jpg CIMG1454_zpszfpuumys.jpg

Great... first zombies, then crabs, then zombie crabs... this is sounding like a 1950s B-Movie From Hell.

I have a BOL available if trouble has the courtesy to stay this side of the Canadian border... assuming my gal doesn't break things off first (and assuming I can get to her folks' place in time). Though my goal is to design and build a house suitably fortified for Bug In and equipped to go off-grid self-reliant... maybe a guesthouse or two also so that I can offer "shelter in return for assistance" to a few trustworthy folks. :)

Good question...if SHTF in lower 48 (not a natural disaster more political/civil dysfunction involving large amounts of violence or may or maybe ebolazikasarin disease).... how would Canada react to refugees from the states?

Brutus Out

Here's a shot a one of those newer 47 MLB's as it went by us coming in to Illawco. They git up and go.
Yes - the old 44s were somewhat slow and heavy. The CG needed a faster boat - for a while they tried surfboats and they did get out much faster to a rescue, but often they are going out to tow someone before they get into trouble (windup on a jetty or the beach, etc.) so the surfboats didn't work well for that as they couldn't tow very much. The 47s can - I think (don't know for sure as I don't know the specs on the '47) probably not as much as the '52 though (this is the Victory 52312 at Yaquina Bay- the boat I was an Engineer on):

13566990_1280798321930163_2610480314345101876_n.jpg

The '52 MLBs are even slower and significantly heavier, but much better in really rough seas. They have a round hull shape though and tend to wallow when sitting in a trough while trying to do a rescue, then when towing in following seas they have a consistent yaw and are even slower - all of this (slowness combined with the yaw and round hull) made us seasick a good portion of the time on long missions.

Yes - the old 44s were somewhat slow and heavy. The CG needed a faster boat - for a while they tried surfboats and they did get out much faster to a rescue, but often they are going out to tow someone before they get into trouble (windup on a jetty or the beach, etc.) so the surfboats didn't work well for that as they couldn't tow very much. The 47s can - I think (don't know for sure as I don't know the specs on the '47) probably not as much as the '52 though (this is the Victory 52312 at Yaquina Bay- the boat I was an Engineer on):

View attachment 304577

The '52 MLBs are even slower and significantly heavier, but much better in really rough seas. They have a round hull shape though and tend to wallow when sitting in a trough while trying to do a rescue, then when towing in following seas they have a consistent yaw and are even slower - all of this (slowness combined with the yaw and round hull) made us seasick a good portion of the time on long missions.
Great picture!

Great picture!
Yeah - when I saw it I grabbed it and made it a background on one of my desktops.

The Vic has been in service for something like 60+ years?

The 44s have been retired.

The 44300, another boat I was an engineer on and the first 44, is in the Astoria museum - most other 44s are either in private hands or in use by other agencies (some are used by sheriffs) and some are even used overseas. A few are on static display somewhere. Only two have ever been decommissioned due to damage during a storm - and one of those (maybe both), people died - but both (I think) still floated.

The 44300 was run over by a 600 foot freighter and it was still water-tight.

They are very tough boats.

Last Edited:
I'm bugging in - my next place will be my full time BOL. It will be as far off the beaten path as I can get a broadband connection - I need that for work.

Unfortunately it won't be in any state that wants to disarm me.

Hey Heretic, you wouldn't know Ben bones or John kosta would you? A couple of old CG guys down here I know of.
not off the top of my head

I was in from '77 to '81 and was under Chief Haigh (sp?) and Gillespie (MKC) and Norman (Stormin' Norman) while at Newport, also a few others I can't think of, one pretty well known along the coast - I'll think of his name after I post this.

I am terrible with names, and that was 35+ years ago.

I got out because for a number of reasons but the primary one was I couldn't take not being able to tell them to take the job and shove it where the sun don't shine. Although I rarely do that, I always like the feeling of being able to at any given second. The military - even the least military of the military services - was just too constraining for me. I like my freedom.

Plus I knew I could do a LOT better outside the military, and I have.

While I was in I did my job with diligence the best I could, but it just wasn't for me and I don't regret not re-enlisting. Indeed, when I am stressed about things (usually my job), I used to have bad dreams about being back in the military. As I get closer and closer to retirement, and have more and more wherewithal, I have those feelings and dreams less and less. I can't remember the last time I had one - maybe a year or so ago.

This is a reset of what has been discussed. What this all comes down to is:

1. If SHTF is the result of a natural disaster that compromises transportation infrastructure in any way, you are not going any where.

2. If SHTF is the result of insurrection or anarchy that allows op fors or pirates to control any aspect of the transportation in any way, you are not going any where.

3. Having a BOL is like having a second home, albeit on a reduced scale. Most of us cannot afford a second home or location, much less what it would take to transit there under less than ideal security situations.

Staying home, staying secure there and has I have said before, if they get me there will be more than a few of them stacked up in front of me next to a pile of smoking brass.

This is a reset of what has been discussed. What this all comes down to is:

1. If SHTF is the result of a natural disaster that compromises transportation infrastructure in any way, you are not going any where.

2. If SHTF is the result of insurrection or anarchy that allows op fors or pirates to control any aspect of the transportation in any way, you are not going any where.

3. Having a BOL is like having a second home, albeit on a reduced scale. Most of us cannot afford a second home or location, much less what it would take to transit there under less than ideal security situations.

Staying home, staying secure there and has I have said before, if they get me there will be more than a few of them stacked up in front of me next to a pile of smoking brass.

Exactly correct on all counts, so if you think any of the above (or other) is likely enough that you are considering a BOL, you should consider moving to a location where you can better survive before that happens.

I can tell you that the "Felony Flats" area in SE Portland will get pretty interesting within a day or two, and even semi-rural areas near large cities will have a lot of uninvited guests in a shorter time than you would think.

You don't necessarily need a piece of property just a destination. You have a shipping container with supplies in it away from the pugetropolis portlandia areas.
Then a truck with a camper shell on up,whatever you can afford,to get out of dodge
I agree most would be better off staying home than moving. And you would need a crystal ball to know when the jump ship early (No no more CG talk;)).
But it wouldn't be bad for a back up plan. Or if you had a window of opportunity to bail.
Now this is if you live down town where the worst folks will end up.

As others have pointed out (I think), if the "destination" is not owned by you or someone who will welcome you, then don't count on it not already being occupied when you get there.

Also, the destination needs to have water (preferably a well with some kind of pump) and preferably a septic/sewer system. Without potable water - that is replenishable - you won't last long. A well is better because other water sources can be all too easily contaminated.

If the destination hasn't been setup to grow food, then what are you going to do when you run out of stored food? How can you be sure that your supplies will be there when you don't live there?

As others have pointed out (I think), if the "destination" is not owned by you or someone who will welcome you, then don't count on it not already being occupied when you get there.

Depending on the situation, I would imagine that even if you do own it, there is a good chance it could be occupied if it's uninhabited.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top