JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Not knowing the how long the empty shelves of ammo will persist or if prices will increase dramatically, (Think public safety tax on ammo) how much of your stash will you shoot up?
I'm well stocked on my .223 SHTF rifle but not so good on my 9mm handgun. I have 600+ .22 and a rifle and revolver that shoots that. The 9mm stash is so low that I won't shoot it now and I need the most practice with it! What is everybody's minimum given the current situation?

I'm at my minimum as well. The wife wants to go out for a shoot but I'm leaning towards no.

(Every serious firearm owner should have at least) 1k+ of everything for what they own as the min.
Of course, I'd love it if everyone was at 10,000+* rounds of their favorite, but right now that's kind of expensive...

Any lower? I'd train with airsoft.

Lower than that? Probably not this Low

*edit, or 50k+, if they have the space

Was looking at one today after seeing empty ammo shelves again. Almost bought but want to do some research 1st.

Buy decent if you want one. Mine is a KWA with a Li-Po battery. All metal, exact replica. But it was also $350 plus the battery and charger.

Haven't even scratched the surface.

I know it's a hot button issue with some but if I had anything over 500 per weapon I'd cash in right now and take some profits. Some would call me an evil gouger but I'd get whatever someone is willing to pay. Eventually things will either get back to normal or things will get worse. It's up to the govt. not us pions. We the people can only temporarily inflate prices.
I'd stock up on more food with the cash.

I don't have enough 45 at the moment for what I want, but I can't say I completely see the point of having 1000+ as a minimum. That's me though. Too much money to have tied up for what it is in my opinion. (not saying I don't want more than that. but it doesn't make sense monetarily for me)

I'd rather shoot and be proficient, having enough pistol ammo to defend myself on a daily basis, than have a whole lot and not be as confident of a shooter.

Rifle ammo is a little different, I have what I perceive as enough ammo for my AR

I've got some ammo canned up...I will only be digging into those when SHTF

500rnds of .223
500rnds of .40 S&W
500rnds of 12gauge

Along with other stuff buried, I will never be cracking into this "stash"

The key is to can it and forget it...then deal with the rest of your stock as if that's all you have.

I know it's a hot button issue with some but if I had anything over 500 per weapon I'd cash in right now and take some profits. Some would call me an evil gouger but I'd get whatever someone is willing to pay. Eventually things will either get back to normal or things will get worse. It's up to the govt. not us pions. We the people can only temporarily inflate prices.
I'd stock up on more food with the cash.
I would disagree on getting rid of the 500 rds. per weapon and cashing in.

You said so yourself, things will eventually get back to normal or could get worse.

A lot of good that CASH will do you, if things do get worse.

How much food do you really think you are going to buy with 500 rds. of ammo per weapon of a few calibers?

Be careful trying to profit today from something you might need later.

When I have to crack open my last tin of green tip then I know I'm in trouble. I'm a firm believer in 1k+ rounds of the stand-bys... .223, 9mm and .22LR.

250-500 of everything else (12GA, .308, 30-06, 300BLK, 10mm, .40, .45, 357/38SPL). And maybe a little .380 and .32 as well.

Crap, I need to consolidate.

Id never get below 5k rounds per main calibers that I own. 223 and 9mm. Every other pistol caliber keep at least 1k. Id like to stay above 500 rounds for all my magnum rifles like 7mm and 300RUM. I hope to god I never need 500 rounds of 300RUM. I figure worse case my hopefully future kids will never need ammo in their lifetime. But that's just my two cents. Even if ammo prices ever do come down with inflation they will slowly creap back up. No selling for this guy. Unless to help family or a new gun owner.

Last Edited:
Ammo storage is a real pain, and the logistics of it make things that much worse. How much ammo should you have? hell if I know, but you should have a hell of a lot more than 500rounds per weapon. If you take .223 as an example, 1000 rounds weighs about 28lbs, so 500 rounds weigh 14 pounds, can you carry 14 pounds? Now if you store 5000 rounds, how far can you carry 140lbs?

The next question, is how much shooting do you plan on doing? Do you only need to carry enough ammo to break contact? Will you be traveling cross country? How much can you move doing this?

The thing that seems to be done half way when it comes to survivalism and preparedness is logistics, everyone wants to store massive amounts of stuff, whether it's food, water, med supplies, pocket knives, ammo, guns, gasoline, vehicles. However this creates two new problems, the first is security (because now you have stuff that other people want) and the second is the raw logistical skills of picking up all your stuff and moving it. I remember what a chore this is every time I go hunting/camping/on business, there is inevitably something I forgot that I need at some level of importance, whether it's a patch kit for my air mattress or a sleeping bag liner, or a cold weather hat.

How much ammo you store should be based entirely on your emergency plans, which should factor in how many people you have, how many guns you (plural) have, what calibers you have, and what the level of skill your people have. The big question is, how much can you carry, and how many trips are you willing to make to get all your gear moved?

I've got some ammo canned up...I will only be digging into those when SHTF

500rnds of .223
500rnds of .40 S&W
500rnds of 12gauge

Along with other stuff buried, I will never be cracking into this "stash"

The key is to can it and forget it...then deal with the rest of your stock as if that's all you have.

I'm kinda with you on the 500 per weapon. You can only carry so much and nothing is going to go as plannned in a SHTF situation. Bugging in would mean to me things are not so bad yet. No problem with 1000 per but I'm a minimal prepper at the moment.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews