JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I know it's a hot button issue with some but if I had anything over 500 per weapon I'd cash in right now and take some profits. Some would call me an evil gouger but I'd get whatever someone is willing to pay. Eventually things will either get back to normal or things will get worse. It's up to the govt. not us pions. We the people can only temporarily inflate prices.
I'd stock up on more food with the cash.

I have over 500 for just my single shot 45-70.
WAY too low to even think of shooting let alone selling.

I don't shoot as much as I would like but there's ammo coming in again.
The dip stick at the PA wally world got all pissy with my buddy for looking in the ammo cart.He took what he wanted anyway
And I've already missed some deals because my money is going to my pickup.

my best stash is over 1500 of 22lr. Not nearly enough 380 or 45 to even practice with currently. Still building the ar so not much for that yet. Around 400 of 7.62x39. Couple dozen for the goose gun. It is however a semi auto. Would like to get a tube extension to give it 6 to 8 capacity. So I hope I get abetter job and shtf happens a few years down the road. As an old girlfriend used to say. "It is what it is.

Brutus Out

Nor can I. I do think giving round volumes could be, how do we say a security risk.
Keep SHTF required minimums for my situational design.
Keep practice up in alternative ways as well.

Now guys and gals, I do not know what the big deal is???

I have one box of FMJ and one box of HP's that's it, after all how much more do I need???? Ole Butthead in the Out House is going to take of us, don't ya know??

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

My minimums are defiantly higher than what most are referencing as theirs - but in reloading components that is. I have slowed up my own shooting, as I did in 2008 - and was a lot worse off than I am now and still weathered the storm. I am seeing both components and ammo starting to pop up here and there with increasing frequency, and I think it is happening quicker than in 08-09.

My problem is, I've shot up ALL my ammo, and since I don't have money to buy more, I gave all my firearms to friends and relatives.

Maybe someday I'll be able to buy myself a slingshot, that is, if they haven't outlawed rocks.

I like this post. Having a Bug-In plan with no Bug-out plan is poor planning.

Having a Bug-out Trailer parked in the garage would be the ideal.

Unfortunately the economy has raided almost everything I own down to near nothing.

Ammo storage is a real pain, and the logistics of it make things that much worse. How much ammo should you have? hell if I know, but you should have a hell of a lot more than 500rounds per weapon. If you take .223 as an example, 1000 rounds weighs about 28lbs, so 500 rounds weigh 14 pounds, can you carry 14 pounds? Now if you store 5000 rounds, how far can you carry 140lbs?

The next question, is how much shooting do you plan on doing? Do you only need to carry enough ammo to break contact? Will you be traveling cross country? How much can you move doing this?

The thing that seems to be done half way when it comes to survivalism and preparedness is logistics, everyone wants to store massive amounts of stuff, whether it's food, water, med supplies, pocket knives, ammo, guns, gasoline, vehicles. However this creates two new problems, the first is security (because now you have stuff that other people want) and the second is the raw logistical skills of picking up all your stuff and moving it. I remember what a chore this is every time I go hunting/camping/on business, there is inevitably something I forgot that I need at some level of importance, whether it's a patch kit for my air mattress or a sleeping bag liner, or a cold weather hat.

How much ammo you store should be based entirely on your emergency plans, which should factor in how many people you have, how many guns you (plural) have, what calibers you have, and what the level of skill your people have. The big question is, how much can you carry, and how many trips are you willing to make to get all your gear moved?

Bug out to where?

Imagine going camping on Labor Day weekend. Now multiply that by 10. Multiply by 10 again or maybe five. That's what it'll be like. Anyplace that's drivable is gonna have at least another person headed in exactly that direction.

Even if you own your own place to bug out to, chances are pretty good someone's going to take it over before you get there and you might just have to fight your way into possession of your own property if it wasn't defended before SHTF.

Add to that there's only so much you can take with you and the fact that some folks have families or other domestic situations and there end up being a lot of potential considerations against bugging out.

Now, if I was 23 years old, with a good mountain bike, a good backpack, and no family, that'd be different. But, I'm not.

My personal rule for deciding between "in" or "out" depends on how acute the emergency is.

A raging wild fire 1/2 away = bug out
Financial collapse = bug in

Basically I will leave for temporary durations where there is a high risk of remaining. For anything longer term, I'm better prepared to improvise if I stay at home with all my supplies, tools and local knowledge.

Suppose a situation lasts 6 months or longer. Things like yard equipment and BBQ grills could be real useful.

My personal rule for deciding between "in" or "out" depends on how acute the emergency is.
And where you live. I live in a rural area in-between two rivers, with unlimited water and wood for heat. What concerns me more than anything would be those that are bugging out and think they will easily make their way in woods/rural areas , and stumble into 'our' relatively secure area where, for the most part most have no plan on leaving. Salted Weapon brought out some pretty good logistical numbers with regard to bugging out I believe most never consider when cogitating the fantasy of 'bugging out'

Unfortunately the economy has raided almost everything I own down to near nothing.

Sounds like you need friends for when you need to "strategically relocate"

What concerns me more than anything would be those that are bugging out and think they will easily make their way in woods/rural areas , and stumble into 'our' relatively secure area where, for the most part most have no plan on leaving.

So what are your plans in the event someone needs help? Has children? Or seems shady, but offers to do whatever they can (work, sleep outside, etc)?

I won't be carrying thousands of rounds, we live at our retreat. During the LA riots, a Korean family under siege shot 2,000 round a day defending their store/home. Our little farm is fairly defensible, but without enough ammo, we'd be toast. We have a bunch (mostly 22LR) but also multiple cases for our center-fire weapons. We bought most of this in 2008 - today (at current retail) it has gone up 700%. Its not going anywhere.

So what are your plans in the event someone needs help? Has children? Or seems shady, but offers to do whatever they can (work, sleep outside, etc)?
I don't think that far ahead actually, and I am sorry for those who spent their lives living in an environment and creating a lifestyle without ever considering having to deal with economic/environmental eventualities. It is my humble assessment most of the people who post about their BO plans, etc. most likely were not thinking about it ten years ago, maybe five or just started. Personally I gave this consideration long ago and always made it a part of my foresight, and thinking. I have always orientated part of my lifestyle (and thinking) to the possibility of having to stay put for an extended period of time for whatever reason(s) and created a living situation around those considerations as opposed to what I would do in the event of being confronted with them and having to react.

Another great post.

The real question for me isn't whether I will make it to my destination safely and before others ... but what to do after week #1
I know I can survive a very very long time in the boonies with what I can carry.

90% of others that can make it up where I have in mind will get weak tired and dangerous within 1-2 weeks.
People have driven to the woods ... but few know the hardship of surviving there for more than a weekend let alone a month or 5 or a year.

Even with my experience and preps that is the real challenge.

Bug out to where?

Imagine going camping on Labor Day weekend. Now multiply that by 10. Multiply by 10 again or maybe five. That's what it'll be like. Anyplace that's drivable is gonna have at least another person headed in exactly that direction.

Even if you own your own place to bug out to, chances are pretty good someone's going to take it over before you get there and you might just have to fight your way into possession of your own property if it wasn't defended before SHTF.

Add to that there's only so much you can take with you and the fact that some folks have families or other domestic situations and there end up being a lot of potential considerations against bugging out.

Now, if I was 23 years old, with a good mountain bike, a good backpack, and no family, that'd be different. But, I'm not.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top