JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I trust the medical community. I do not trust Hospital Administrators where there is a monetary incentive and I can't even put Politician and. Trust in the same sentence.

Back on topicish...

More and more states are closing sections of stores deemed "non essential". I'm glad this insanity hasn't hit Oregon yet. Probably just taking extra time to set up a proper bureaucracy to determine what goods are essential (bread and water) and what are not (pretty much everything else) for we the people.

Store run later today so will report back.

I trust the medical community. I do not trust Hospital Administrators where there is a monetary incentive and I can't even put Politician and. Trust in the same sentence.

I was sent this site back in the beginning. Haven't followed it much accept in the beginning. I got to looking around this morning again though.

Tell you what. It looks to me like the fuhrer in Salem needs to get on the stick and get to opening up some of these counties quickly!

Disclaimer:
For those few of you that misunderstand, and think that we are saying the guv should "Flip The Switch To ON!", please don't bother to respond. The VAST majority of us realize it can't/shouldn't be done that way.

As of May 2nd our local stores are doing OK... TP and other paper products are becoming more available, most everything else doing OK at local Safeway and Wally. Patchy availability of soups, canned veggies, rice and beans. It's picking up to the point that The Old Woman is buying some longer-term items like TP, paper towels, kleenex, rice and beans etc for storage against the next "emergency". She even found some canned meat products, probably soylent green or other mystery meat... fresh meats not so much. I must say she is good at stretching the food $$$. Never thought to see a looming famine in these United States...
Pleased to hear PRESIDENT TRUMP ordered the slaughter-houses and meat packagers back to work.

I was sent this site back in the beginning. Haven't followed it much accept in the beginning. I got to looking around this morning again though.

Tell you what. It looks to me like the fuhrer in Salem needs to get on the stick and get to opening up some of these counties quickly!

Disclaimer:
For those few of you that misunderstand, and think that we are saying the guv should "Flip The Switch To ON!", please don't bother to respond. The VAST majority of us realize it can't/shouldn't be done that way.

Agreed it needs to be more granular than state wide. Large western states that have large areas of low population densities are different than smaller (geographically) states with high population densities.

I think Brown did handle it well in the beginning and saved us a lot of grief, but I also think she will have issues giving up authoritarian control. At least we aren't dealing with the overreach that people are seeing in Michigan.

As of May 2nd our local stores are doing OK... TP and other paper products are becoming more available, most everything else doing OK at local Safeway and Wally. Patchy availability of soups, canned veggies, rice and beans. It's picking up to the point that The Old Woman is buying some longer-term items like TP, paper towels, kleenex, rice and beans etc for storage against the next "emergency". She even found some canned meat products, probably soylent green or other mystery meat... fresh meats not so much. I must say she is good at stretching the food $$$. Never thought to see a looming famine in these United States...
Pleased to hear PRESIDENT TRUMP ordered the slaughter-houses and meat packagers back to work.

The preparedness lesson is the one good thing that I hope comes out of this. If this were an event that broke the supply chain (like an earthquake) people would have rapidly found out that the local grocery store only keeps 3 days worth of stock at hand. What we are experiencing is trivial to an actual disaster, as bad as it is for folks with families that lost their jobs.

You might be - I am not. I am not going to buy anymore meat for a while. I've got plenty and I don't want to get infected.

Last Edited:
The preparedness lesson is the one good thing that I hope comes out of this. If this were an event that broke the supply chain (like an earthquake) people would have rapidly found out that the local grocery store only keeps 3 days worth of stock at hand. What we are experiencing is trivial to an actual disaster, as bad as it is for folks with families that lost their jobs.

Some people will learn. My daughter did. Hopefully some will remember the lesson. But many will not.

You might be - I am not. I am not going to buy anymore meat for a while. I've got plenty and I don't want to get infected.

There is a lot of misinformation about the EO. It's not about forcing plants to be open, it's about prioritizing Federal contracts. Lawyer Steve Vladeck explains below (more at the link):
1588436977557.png

TH,

Vegetarian or ...?

I have a LOT of meat in my freezer. I LOVE MEAT. :s0116:

I had two slices of bacon and two poached eggs on hash browns for breakfast this morning.

But years ago I cut down on my meat consumption. I may have meat once or twice a day, but not as much as I used to. I just don't eat multiple large portions like I used to. A little bit (relatively to how much meat I used to eat) goes a long ways for me.

This is what I've been telling my friends/family...
As bad and real as this is for those directly impacted (loss of job, sick relative, etc), it is an easy "practice run" for most of us.
We still have:
-An operating electrical grid
-Gas stations open
-Water service
-banks operating
-Internet/cable
-Heat, AC, lights...
Now imagine if any/all of those were removed from our day to day life. Chaos within hours!

Treat this like an easy practice run. Shore up your supplies, identify weaknesses, lay in whatever you think you'd need in a repeat (or worse) situation. Some day you'll either be glad you did, or slugging it out with those who didn't.

TH,

I see.

As I've grown long in the tooth, I split a steak with my wife instead of eating the entire thing and I no longer eat a whole chicken. A thigh alone is enough now.

I didn't consciously cut back on my meat consumption, but just didn't care to consume meat in mass quantities any longer.

Getting old does that to ya!

This is what I've been telling my friends/family...
As bad and real as this is for those directly impacted (loss of job, sick relative, etc), it is an easy "practice run" for most of us.
We still have:
-An operating electrical grid
-Gas stations open
-Water service
-banks operating
-Internet/cable
-Heat, AC, lights...
Now imagine if any/all of those were removed from our day to day life. Chaos within hours!

Treat this like an easy practice run. Shore up your supplies, identify weaknesses, lay in whatever you think you'd need in a repeat (or worse) situation. Some day you'll either be glad you did, or slugging it out with those who didn't.

That's the thing that gets to me, is this is a picnic compared to what it would be like if we had a Cascadian Earthquake - and yet people are coming unglued. Makes me wonder if conspiracy theorists would think the gov setoff a nuke in the ocean floor to cause such an earthquake. I know the grocery stores would be a mob riot and their supplies would last 5 minutes. The lines at the gas stations would be miles long - without cars (people would be standing in line with gas cans). :rolleyes:

Dude, thanks for posting this- I did not know about any of this. This puts a different light on that situation.. so much for liking my beef rare! In your debt for the heads up!

Sure has caused me to do some heavy thinking about a longer-term supply of food essentials. Stuff like soy and other beans along with rice which will store indefinitely if stored properly.

Lentils. Store just as long as beans, cook faster with less energy, tastier (IMO), nutritious, can be made into humus. Won't dry so rock hard over time that they can't be cooked - ran into that with beans.

Split peas too.

Do we really think that Covid 19 is viable on packaged meat surfaces after handling, shipping, storage, and shelf life?????????

If so, douse it with your fav whiskey prior to cooking, it will kill bugs and improve the flavor!!!

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top