JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just got back from a shopping trip to the Oregon City WinCo, and have to say was pretty impressed especially for Saturday at Noon.
Observations:
  • The store was CLEAN everywhere. I worked in the business from High School through my 20's. I know all the tricks and shortcuts. This store is genuinely clean.
  • Most things were in abundant stock. You could even get toilet paper, paper towels, and many sanitizers. No hand sanitizer or wipes, but that's par for the course everywhere.
  • Produce is fresh and well maintained.
  • They have plans in place to keep people spaced at the checkout line (6 foot marks) and are capping how many people can be in the store. I don't know what the cap is, but when I left they had started to queue people up in front of the entrance and were letting one enter as one left.
I'm going to give them an overall A rating considering the sales pressure.

Customers:
  • Didn't see any wild eyed panic shopping like I have seen over the last few weeks.
  • People are NOT getting the social distancing message. Saw many kids running loose. Looked like what you would expect pre pandemic.
  • I only saw one other customer in the store wearing gloves. Because Mrs. 3M has a high mortality risk I also wear a mask and observe strict protocols. I got a lot of stares and even a smirk or two. Makes ni difference to me, just noting the prevalent denial.
How is your local grocer holding up? Please let us know.

I went to Costco yesterday and everything was orderly. I had pickup on prescription they now have thin plexiglass so people cannot make direct contact with employees.

At checkout the have strips of red tape on the floor to keep proper spacing of people. You cannot put anything on the conveyor until an employee tells it is OK.

Last Edited:
I'm making revolutions for a trip to my local Winco.

I'll post up an AAR when feet dry.

I went to Fred Meyer yesterday. Plenty of fresh produce and meats. Dairy looks good, but no eggs. Some shelves in the center store aisles looking pretty bare. Canned goods are hit and miss.

Some of the employees are a little grumpy lately. They have a new policy - if you bring in those wonderful reusable cloth bags you have to bag your own groceries.

Fred Meyers in Hillsboro on Corn Pass is pretty much normal. No panic buying going on. Just regular carts with days/week worth of goods in them. No TP, some items are scarce. Another week, I bet things would be pretty normal looking minus things like disinfectants and TP.

Went to Costco in Hillsboro off Brookwood and Cornell. Very different experience than three weeks ago when I last went. They are disinfecting everything almost as soon as you are done touching it. Signs at the entrance spelling out what is not in stock. Meats, dairy, and pretty much all foods are available. Paper products and diapers where gone. As were pretty much all disinfectant supplies.

I went to Fred Meyer yesterday. Plenty of fresh produce and meats. Dairy looks good, but no eggs. Some shelves in the center store aisles looking pretty bare. Canned goods are hit and miss.

Some of the employees are a little grumpy lately. They have a new policy - if you bring in those wonderful reusable cloth bags you have to bag your own groceries.
It was kind of weird to have to ask the bagger to back off, as she just stood there staring at me as I bagged my own groceries after both the cashier and the bagger handled the bags anyways.

One thing I've noticed is no one is social distancing themselves. Countless times we would stop dead in our tracks and wait for idiots to mindlessly walk about not even trying to be apart.

Safeway was pretty slow this afternoon.

Plenty of room to give space and people for the most part were being aware of it.

No TP or paper towels or sanitizing stuff but plenty of just about everything else and no one was hoarding a cart full of stuff.

Im good on cleaners TP PT's and such so I'm just buying for a few days at a time and leaving what's in the freezer alone.

If I can find TP every other week I'll stay well ahead of the curve and the last time I was at Costco last week they had plenty

By my observation in Beaverton/Tigard, we are still out of the same same. Small boxes of tissues are coming back, but that's about it.
Countless times we would stop dead in our tracks and wait for idiots to mindlessly walk about not even trying to be apart.
Yesterday at Winco self-checkout(Tigard), somebody started coughing right behind me when I was almost done bagging my groceries. I calmly walked out of the store, but I probably wanted to cry, or get violent with the guy. :s0075: j/k

Bag yer own groceries...ok.

I guess the delivery folk, shelf stockers and everyone else involved in making groceries available are sterile, but not those baggers.

Good to know....

went tot he Roths down the road from me. had everythjing including Jasmine rice which i had been hunting for, they had TP but it was limited to 1 pack per person and you had to ask for it.

Bag yer own groceries...ok.

I guess the delivery folk, shelf stockers and everyone else involved in making groceries available are sterile, but not those baggers.

Good to know....
[/QUOTE"]

The reusable grocery bags have always been problematic as they are breeding grounds for everything. Not everyone washes them and people aren't usually smart enough to keep them separate for meats, veggies, dry goods, etc. People would get up to the check stand, plop down a pile of smelly bags and wait for a praising acknowledgement about how their single effort has saved the planet. Haha, now this is coming back to bite these virtual signaling bubblegums. Even Trader Joe's won't touch those customer bags at the check out now. They make customers load them up themselves. TJ's will bag with their paper bags, but they won't charge you for them either now.
Some of this virtue signaling hopey-changey touchy-feely cr@p is just too funn

Last Edited:
By my observation in Beaverton/Tigard, we are still out of the same same. Small boxes of tissues are coming back, but that's about it.

Yesterday at Winco self-checkout(Tigard), somebody started coughing right behind me when I was almost done bagging my groceries. I calmly walked out of the store, but I probably wanted to cry, or get violent with the guy. :s0075: j/k
1585433556600.jpeg

Walmart Sherwood around noon today was normal and they had most everything apart from TP and isopropyl alcohol.

Tons fresh of food - we aren't going to run out of fresh stuff from Cali / Cent-south America. Not unless diesel runs out...

They also have hydrogen peroxide, paper towels, Mr. Clean disinfectant... even the dry pasta is starting to return to the shelves.

So long as the supply chain continues rolling, the hoarders will get their TP fix and eventually run out of storage then even the TP will be readily available.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top