JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My neighbors the Doctors daughter is a nurse and she just got over the Corona Virus. She said it was like a cold and feels good enough to go to work but she still tests positive for the virus.

Last Edited:
Doctors daughter who is a nurse. Presumably youngish, presumably healthy lifestyle. Front line worker who has increased access to testing due to job and location, testing positive before conditions worsen. Sorry not sorry, that's hardly evidence of any mass conspiracy lying about the virus.

I'm not saying I'm an alarmist about this. But if you juxtapose the doctors daughter who is a nurse against the 10,000+ who have died in the United States because of the inability to breath I'd say we should be careful of claiming it's the common cold. I don't wear a mask or gloves in public, I'm not overreacting, but obviously something is happening to a large quantity of people. As with anything, absorb information from multiple sources and reach your conclusions.

Went to Albertsons today. First time I've left the house in weeks, but we ran out of whiskey so I had to brave the virus.
All staff are gloved/masked. New sneeze-guards are everywhere. Lines painted on the floor to aid in social distancing.
Other than that, everything seemed normal except the bottom shelf liquor is sold out, which seemed odd.

Went to Albertsons today. First time I've left the house in weeks, but we ran out of whiskey so I had to brave the virus.
All staff are gloved/masked. New sneeze-guards are everywhere. Lines painted on the floor to aid in social distancing.
Other than that, everything seemed normal except the bottom shelf liquor is sold out, which seemed odd.
Wow, good to hear the employees have PPE on, none of them did at the store I was at, and I felt bad for them.

They did have that sneeze guard, which does absolutely nothing to protect them. :(

I went to Winco this past Sunday, only my second time out of the house in 20 days (the first was going to the range the day before :) ).
They had set up a grocery cart "wipe-down station" at the bay where you get your cart. Just a couple of spray bottles and some shop rags on a table.
The cashiers were wearing gloves, but no masks, and there were no sneeze guards in place.
They were wiping down the conveyor belt with a bleach solution (you could smell it) between each customer.
SD lines were taped on the floor at the loading end of the conveyor.
Both paper and plastic bags were available, and you always bag your own at Winco...

What really annoyed me was this:
As I was hunched over and reaching in to a refrigerator case to get some cottage cheese and sour cream, a dude about my same age came up on my left, put one hand on my shoulder, reached in with his other hand to get something, and told me "I'll just reach in here and get this while you got the door open."
I was in full N95 mask, nitrile gloves, and keeping distance from everyone else in the aisles.
This azzhole had no mask, no gloves, no nothing, was right next to me, and our faces mere inches from each other.
I jumped back to the right, and bubblegumed him out something furious. He seemed to think that CV-19 is no big deal.
There's a reason why I haven't gone out around the general population for 3 weeks... :mad:

One of my buddies that I told that story to sad, "Geez, I'm surprised you didn't shoot him."
The thought never crossed my mind, until my buddy mentioned it...

Last Edited:
wf?

Come at me to point and shoot a thermometer in order that I may be considered worthy to enter and pay over the top prices and get to rub elbows with a bunch earth shoe or birkenstock wearing snots?

Pass...

I'm with you. I won't let anyone use a temporal thermometer on me. Im old school. The old fashioned way, or nothing. That's why I wear sweatpants everywhere.

Wife stopped by the local Cash & Carry
"Smart Foodservice Warehouse Stores"

No meat. At all.

Thanks to the CEO of Tyson turning all his products into the new toilet paper panic.

Lost in the announcement of the meat supply chain "problem" is that there is a glut of product in cold and frozen storage - the biggest glut since 1960. 1960! There are months and months of meat in cold and frozen storage. This is the main reason for packing plants not buying livestock, no different than lack of storage space for oil.

The biggest challenge is repackaging bulk product to consumer sizes since so many restaurants have cut sales way, way back even if they are still open.

Tyson wants to empty the storage and increase prices. Yes, some packing plants have been temporarily closed, but not a significant amount.

Our chain is being jerked by Tyson BIG TIME.

Has anyone been to the Salem Costco recently?
The wife is considering a trip, but has no idea what to expect.
We live waaaaay out in the country, and she usually makes a trip once a month.
Hasn't been into Salem since this mess began, but is low on a couple of items we normally purchase there.

I can't go along, as I'm currently working in WA State.

If you've been:

Long lines to get inside?
How was their inventory for meat?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Wife stopped by the local Cash & Carry
"Smart Foodservice Warehouse Stores"

No meat. At all.

I didn't wait, I have been picking up about 10 pounds of meat every time I went into town - got the kids some meat too. I still have meat in the chest freezer from years ago - it is full up. I've added about 30 pounds of chicken breasts since the lockdown. Should last until meat plants start back up as I don't eat a lot of meat.

It is no surprise to me that people wait until the last minute to panic buy stuff that they should have been stocking up on a month ago.:rolleyes:

I hit Craigslist about a week ago for meat. I have a hog and a steer on the way. The hog was slaughtered Tuesday and the steer goes down 5/14. $180 for the 300# hog and $2.25/lb hanging weight for the steer. Hanging weight for him will be around 500#. That should produce ~300# of beef.

And our chickens are old enough to go out to the chicken run today.

Has anyone been to the Salem Costco recently?
The wife is considering a trip, but has no idea what to expect.
We live waaaaay out in the country, and she usually makes a trip once a month.
Hasn't been into Salem since this mess began, but is low on a couple of items we normally purchase there.

I can't go along, as I'm currently working in WA State.

If you've been:

Long lines to get inside?
How was their inventory for meat?

Thanks in advance for any info.
Time your visit's for between 1:30 and 3:30 in the afternoon, and you won't have much if any lines to get in, meat is one of the areas that got hit hard, and while still available, definitely has taken a hit! They are slow at re stocking, and have stopped carrying several common food items that were the reason I shopped there! Still, not that bad really!

Social Distancing seems to be a thing of the past, here in Boise. MY main grocery shopping has and is Winco. I noticed the prices being jacked just after the lockdown started and the hoarding had begun. Expected nothing different since I have witnessed this being the norm over the decades. Shortages come and go, critters in the wild change their diet as need be. Only unimaginative humans seem to panic buy. Growing up poor does have its advantages! Officially the 'rebound' starts tomorrow (May 1 - kind of a interesting, historically) un-officially it started about two weeks ago! But we never got to the Ration Book stage like WW II.

I'm with you. I won't let anyone use a temporal thermometer on me. Im old school. The old fashioned way, or nothing. That's why I wear sweatpants everywhere.

Meh, rectal thermometers are overrated, especially just to get into a grocery store, but everyone has different needs they say.:D

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR