Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

How gold will save your life in a SHTF scenario

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by billcoe, Nov 3, 2011.

1. billcoe

billcoe PDX Platinum Supporter Platinum Supporter

I keep reading people on this board claim that during an emergency situation, gold will become worthless because you "can't eat it". I was reading that Selco thread wondering what occurred in Bosnia where the SHTF for real a few years back. So I pitched the question to Selco, and before he answered I saw this gem on the Survivalistboard thread. (Fil = Father in Law, SIL = Sister in Law) If anyone wants to know which is smaller and more compact, an ounce of gold or 5,000 Deutchmarks, it's the gold. Bottom line, you can (and should) stuff all of the food, water, guns, ammo, trade goods and tools in your home or a remote and secret location: but as you are trying to prepare, you don't know the scenario that may hit you, and grabbing a few gold coins to bribe your way out and getting out of dodge might be the only thing that saves your life. Lots of German Jew WW2 stories are very similar to this. I worked for a man named Max Bernbach who bailed with his life out of Austria when the Germans invaded. If you have to walk (you won't be driving if this comes to pass) over the Canadian border for any strange reason, do you want to be lugging a couple of crates of #10 freeze dried Mountain House, or a few gold coins that will later buy a warm room and 20 of those cases?

Posted by LeZinc, page 32 my shtf expirience-wartime - Page 32 - Survivalist Forum:

kenno and (deleted member) like this.
  2. billcoe

billcoe PDX Platinum Supporter Platinum Supporter

3. Boats

Boats Flicking A Switch To Open My Third Eye Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone seriously doubts physically possessed precious metals if there is some expectation of a near term return to normalcy or something approaching it.

A long term collapse of society? Different ballgame IMO.

4. locobob

locobob Beaverton, Oregon Well-Known Member

Another thought.... If I were to consider taking payment in metal I would strongly favor gold or silver coins over raw metal. Why, because I don't know jack about testing to verify that it's real. Coins, on the other hand, have to be minted and that should greatly reduce the chances of getting scammed.

5. A.I.P.

A.I.P. UpperUS Active Member

I would weigh the coins to acertian gold content

6. Just Jim

Just Jim Well-Known Member

7. knuckle Head

knuckle Head southeast Well-Known Member

While I will not argue that gold or silver coins would be great to buy ones way out of shtf scenario or bribe a lot of people, I can buy a lot of food for 1 ounce golds going price of about $1750.00

I can get a triple fuel honda 3000w generator for $2,200.00 lots of power very fuel efficient and ultra quiet to keep others from hearing and wanting to steal it.

One must weight everything before deciding what is more important gold and silver or other supplies like purification, food, meds and such

8. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

Ya'll are forgetting that FMJ will have an intrinsic value for various "transactions" as well... FMJ may even help you get over the hill a little easier. ;)

BigBull 301 and (deleted member) like this.
  9. doubletap007

doubletap007 Beaverton Active Member

lead will be the most precious metal when shtf,unless you can throw gold at 1300fps.
    i dont have enough faith in humanity to believe fair trades will be made by most people,they will take your gold and your life.
    and if your a democrat?......well your not gonna make it through,eat some sleeping pills and give up the ghost.we dont need more of those in the "new world"

10. halmbarte

halmbarte PDX Active Member

That's why I'm invested heavily in 7.62x39.

I'm figuring that during the end times I'll be able to buy a woman for a loaded AK mag.

H