JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When I was 18 I drove from the old Jone Creek campaign ground to Washougal a good 15-20 miles Lol no tire left and the rim was as flat as a Fred Flintstone tire I was doing 35 mph down the Washougal river road. Didn't want to leave my truck up there because it surely would have gotten trashed by vandals!! True story LOL

Stacy

My grandson abandoned a nice International Scout near one of the local popular mudhole places in the forest. The Forest Service called the cops, the cops called my boss because it used to be his, my boss called me, I went up to fetch it with my stepson and all the windows were shot out, all 4 tires shot up, the body shot up, the battery gone, etc. We had to go back to town and get a flatbed and winch to get it out of the forest. Not cool!!

"Paint Your Wagon"...where Clint Eastwood made his singing debut. It's best for everyone if I don't comment about the Bridges of Madison County. YMMV.:cool:

Or "Every Which Way But Loose"... Clyde stole that show!!

The best budget tires for gravel roads is the Falken Wildpeak AT3W All Terrain which is rated for 70,000 miles, but you'd be wise to do some internet research to find the tires best suited for your needs.

Glad you recommend that tire, I just put a brand new set of those on my rig yesterday. This is my camping vehicle and it will see more gravel than pavement.
IMG_20190728_194430156_HDR.jpg

been there done that. Had a flat changed it, then had another flat, no more spares left .i just decided to keep driving, but slow. just made the decision I would have to buy a new tire and rim, but better than walking. Many years later and much older, i carry small air compressor, patch plugs, under my back seat, as well as factory spare.
I do as well. In this case the sidewall was ripped beyond repair. Will carry solid rubber "donut" as a second spare now when going to that area.

Funny story-years back while I was still working for Les Schwab, I went out with a few other Schwabbies target shooting. We were in my friends truck with a dog kennel in the back. We kept hearing a noise and the driver said, "don't worry, it's just the kennel hitting the bed." Needless to say, after a couple miles we finally figured it out, flat tire . The only question was who would change it, four LS employees on their day off not wanting to "work", LOL. As to the OP's question, your immediate situation dictates how far you "should" drive on a flat. The handling of the vehicle is adversely effected and shouldn't be pushed to the limit unless absolutely needed. For example, running from a forest fire vs just trying to find a dry spot.

If I have flat tire I pull over to a safe spot on the side of the road.
Probably 100 to 300 feet at the most depending on speed.
I then get out my spare tire, jack and lug wrench and change the tire.
I then put the flat in the trunk, put the jack and lug wrench back and
continue on and repair the flat as soon as possible.
I am not sure I understand. This isn't rocket science folks.
I had a tire blow out @ 75 mph on my teardrop trailer last fall just across the Wyoming border.............lets just say I shut it down pretty quick when the fender started to shred!!.....yep bout 100 to 300 ft!!....

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top