JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok, I know it might not be possible to get her to love them, but maybe one of you have a good idea. My wife accepts that I have guns, which I am thankful for. But I love guns, and I want her to love them too. She doesn't go shooting with me, which is a big part of my life. I understand my wife is more important than guns, but if she asked me to choose, I would probably be cuddling my glock on Burnside that night. What have you done to make your significant other love guns/go shooting with you? I have 22's, spinning targets, have tried watermelons/water jugs, etc.. So what else?

Spending time with the wife is cool.
Spending time with a wife that understands that you love guns is cool.
Spending time apart is cool.

I'm sure she doesn't try to get you to enjoy some elements of her life that she enjoys (hobbies, shopping, silly TV shows, etc.), so why force her to like yours.

I am a die-hard fisherman. I have taken my fiance fishing three times (and that was when she came up to visit me when I was guiding in AK). My fiance does not drag me to quilt shows, antique shows, the mall, baby showers, or any of that stuff.

When we hang out we do stuff we both enjoy.

Besides, if she can't have fun with a 10/22, a few 25 round magazines and case of generic Coke, she's never going to like shooting as much as you.

The second time Jenny and I hung out over three years ago we were sitting on the stairs in my townhome talking to my room mates. I leaned over and she saw the gun on my back. Absolutely freaked out. I sat down on my bed and talked to her about guns for about an hour until she felt comfortable with me showing it to her. I had to go in the other room and take it apart, then showed her what each part did, explaining to her that it's just a mechanical device and the only way it'll shoot is if you pull the trigger (it was a Sig P226). This helped her tremendously. Me, being an idiot, proceeded to pull the AK out of the closet and we were back at square one :s0092:

We've made steady progress over the years; I had her shooting with me at the range two months later. Now she's a better shot than I am, she's always urging me to buy the guns I want when we go to the gun shop, and she's almost as excited as I am when I bring a new one home.

Joey is a lucky sob. I guess my wife's not a gun girl, and never will be. So, then, how do I get less obsessed with guns? Is there an AA type meeting for gun nuts?

Never give up. Maybe if you can get her to go out with you, me, and Jenny she'll lighten up. Or try putting a bigger caliber in her hand. Jenny didn't really like shooting until she shot the P220 .45 ;)

Wife and I met online (match.com) and "shooting" was just one of the words in my profile under interests; not "gun freak." :D

So, when we started dating we were doing different things... museum, beach etc. etc. I took her shooting once (first time). Started her on the little 22lr Diamondback, moved to the 38 Diamondback and onto several different guns. She seemed to pick it up pretty quick and all I really did was load magazines. :eek: Within a couple hours she was hosing down the bay with short 32-round bursts from the Uzi. She was hooked.

She still likes to get out and go plinking, enjoys the Ladies Shoots at the ARPC and will shoot in some of the Speed Steel matches there. It's another pastime for her; now she has to juggle shooting along with scrap booking and everything else.

ETA: Great pic by another Oregon shooter...
Wife shooting her G19 with her Advantage Arms 22lr conversion on it.

The women I've dated long term didn't have a problem with it per se.

One was a pacifist and didn't like me carrying until she went to the range with me and her dad, and when she had some scary things happen. Now she's fine with it, and prefers that I carry to protect her.

Fortunately my wife grew up handling weapons. The transition to EBRs and other "toys" has been easy. When asked about how to get the spouse to accept the idea I usually reply "start small with a large target". Start with a 22 at a target that can't be missed. Low recoil + easy to hit target makes the crossover easier. From there just move slowly to larger calibers. Baby steps grasshopper, baby steps. I also strongly advise people to take a class albeit Johnson Creek or otherwise.

I wish I could find a girlfriend who liked to shoot. My current GF is terrified of guns. Previous GF though guns were a waste of time and money. GF before that didn't have an issue with guns, just with me :(

"Yeah, who knew welfare fraud would be one of her buttons?" - Brian Griffin

Ok, I know it might not be possible to get her to love them, but maybe one of you have a good idea. My wife accepts that I have guns, which I am thankful for. But I love guns, and I want her to love them too. She doesn't go shooting with me, which is a big part of my life. I understand my wife is more important than guns, but if she asked me to choose, I would probably be cuddling my glock on Burnside that night. What have you done to make your significant other love guns/go shooting with you? I have 22's, spinning targets, have tried watermelons/water jugs, etc.. So what else?

To be perfectly honest with you. I read the post to my wife and she simply said this.

Take her to Pats or to a shoot and let her loose with some full auto goodness. For those that know my wife, you can back me up. That is no bullbubblegum to the letter what she said...LOL

BIGFOOT

When we got married this year our gifts to each other were some guns. lol, i know i know save it cause ive heard it all. i walked away with a M&P15T and a Sig226.40 and i got her a Sig Mosquito. she was excited about the mosquito, scared to death of the AR and wanted to shoot mine.

We took them out and she unloaded on her mosquito she loves it and knows how to use it well etc. The AR she tried and after the first shot fell in love. shes not quite strong enough to use the charging handle though so i have to do it for her, lol. after the first 10 rounds she actually wouldnt give it back to me so i could use it! shed just politely say "put more rounds in please" and that was the end of that...

the 226 she hates though, WAY to much for her. so i think what ill do is have her shoot the mosquito for awhile longer then get her into a 229 9mm. and that will be the last guns we get. well....until that uber deal on a benelli tactical 12 gauge pump comes along hehehe.

My significant other considers my purchase of a firearm to be a battle that she lost.

I think her conceding "defeat" is about as close as I'll get.

all i have to do is tell her is "john wayne used it in (just plug in a movie name)" and its fine with her. She even bought a real nice w w greener shotgun it is like new and she got it for less than half of what i'v ever seen one for at a gun show.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews