JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'll start with the obvious: I have a week off of work and am starved for entertainment because I ran out of reloading components.

With that said, I was having a conversation with someone a few days ago about the use of the word "Tactical". It is to firearms as Extreme is to snowboarding and Hippie is to Portland. Tactical is both a source of mockery (as in, "your SKS with Tapco stock is totally tactical") as well as a source of complement (as in, "the way you convinced your wife you've always had that S&W 686 in the back of your safe was pulled off with Tactical precision"). The last company I worked for even used "Tactical Implementation Plans" for tracking status of engineering projects.

Point here is, how do you define the word Tactical? Is it something you work into daily life? Or do you reserve the term strictly for making fun of Gecko45?

I contest that inside every good mall ninja, we're all tactical in our own minds. (and if you're not a Mall Ninja, be honest with yourself; ..you're at lease a Ronin of the Emporium).

Cheers.

I'd say for something to be legitimately tactical it must be practical and functional above all else.
I see way too many things being labeled as tactical.
I recently saw a flashlight that had been deemed tactical by the manufacturer.
I couldn't figure out how an 18" long light with only a hundred lumens that weighs more than my 1911 could be considered tactical.
IMHO it is over used and misunderstood by most.

I do not to use the word 'tactical' when it comes to firearms, just like I don't use the word 'platform'. It's Fantasy War Games talk. Tactics are a process but calling everything tactical defeats the purpose. I once had too many gizmos on a shotgun, and I was approached at the range in admiration of my 'Tactical' Shotgun by some kind gentleman that where geared up but out of shape and would be the first heart attack or victim in a confrontation. It really turned me off to too many gizmos instead of skill and ability and I took all the 'Tactical' stuff off all my firearms and started to spend the time learning how survive a gunfight. That's what really being tactical is; to know how to win a confrontation!

This thread is totally Glock'd up. Tactical Glocking is the essence of zen in the world. How one Glocks his Glock is as individual as which Glock you Glock. The Glock is merely a tool in the toolbox used by Glockers for Glocking. You classify one type or way of Glocking is totally Glock'd up. We should all be accepting of every Glocker and what he does to his Glock with his soldering iron on his wife's craft table is between him and his Glock, and should be accepted, embraced, cherished and Glock'd. This has got me so worked up I'm gonna go and practice Glocking my Airsoft Glock in my garage with tactical Glocklight until O'Glock30...

Seriously why Glock?
Because th name Combat Magnum was taken years ago (and only holds 6 rounds.)
Because you have to add a grip safety to translate it into Croatian.
If you attack them with paint and a soldering iron magically they are worth more than new in the classified section.
Glock19's have been used as the $400 bill on gun classifieds everywhere for 30 years now.
Each configuration, has a different number so you can convince your wife it really is different from every other one you have in the safe...

But the real reason to Glock:is that for every 1 HK you buy you can get 2 Glocks... Cause every one knows that your not really tactical unless you have an HK that has 'tactical' on the slide with a vintage HK light to go with it...

Bravo! Bravo good sir! I am thoroughly entertained!!!

Unfortunately......
upload_2014-12-27_16-6-21.png

I officially Dub Thee "Glocko45"!!!

Last Edited:
In my opinion its the junk guys put on their rifles yet serve no purpose.

The word is very often confused with "customized".. When in reality none of the useless items they bolted onto their firearms makes them a better shooter:
This is not limited to:
Vert grips
Rails
Ambi (anything)
Quick release (anything)
Defensive (anything)
Extended (anything)
Grip sleves
Self added Stippling

All of this is meant as added to a firearm by the user and not the factory.. You should be proficient with a box stock rifle/pistol before you tack on anything.

Even so much as red dot/ holographic sights.. In real combat without supply/logistics to back up your fancy optics.. Its just more junk that'll snag or break.

Chasis systems of any kind
(10/22, Mosins, SKS's M1A's..etc)

ZA gets bonus points for mention of "Stippling".

I'm thinking off making Tactical Bingo cards with these "enhancements" and then seeing how quickly I get a bingo while tactically cruising the classifies.

tac·ti·cal
ˈtaktək(ə)l/
adjective
adjective: tactical
of, relating to, or constituting actions carefully planned to gain a specific military end.
"as a tactical officer in the field he had no equal"
  • (of bombing or weapons) done or for use in immediate support of military or naval operations.
  • (of a person or their actions) showing adroit planning; aiming at an end beyond the immediate action.

So what does it really mean to me in today's world?
Things and people I try to avoid for the most part.

Last Edited:
"hippie is to Portland" about sums up my take on it.
Love the organic comparison as well.

I think the value of the word has been diminished to a null void, where it used to mean a "tactical advantage" - as in a skill or a tool more valuable than your opponent may have.

Nowadays, It is pretty much a hollow term that the "airsoft guys" drool over.

You aren't tacticool until your AR has 13 lights of every color like a Christmas light show. Multiple optics, with backup sights, and backup backup sights to backup the backup sights. Quick release for rapid battery change reloads, of course..

I'm envisioning a Christmas light show where the lights and lasers on ones AR is synced up to some Manheim Steamroller.

I know how I'm occupying myself until brassman fills my order...

...something about fat chicks and mo-peds comes to mind when I hear the word "tactical".

You think it's fun until your friends catch you doing it...

Personally the word tactical should be reserved for military and law enforcement.
Anytime tactical is used in the civilian world it usually is accompanied by a long line of jokes.
I own 3 glocks and almost 4 AR15s, none of which are tactical.

The use of the word tactical is usually for boosting sales to the un-informed and/or
mentally defective.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads