JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I unfortunately live in the valley and recently lost access to where I usually go to stretch out to 1,000m. I don't feel like driving all the way out to central or eastern OR in order to reach out 1,000+

What do you generally do to scout out new locations? What considerations do you have when selecting a location for prolonged extended range shooting?

How do you choose where you go to shoot 1,000m+?

Real estate questions?
The usual answer is.....

LOCATION, Location, location.

Aloha, Mark

PS......I also compromise a lot.
LOL....."No Money, No Honey."

Watching closely. I've often though about taking my drone for exploring safe shooting lanes but still not sure I'd trust just scanning on a little screen. I'm certain that there are some places in the valley but haven't gone into the woods around here for a long time.

Watching closely. I've often though about taking my drone for exploring safe shooting lanes but still not sure I'd trust just scanning on a little screen. I'm certain that there are some places in the valley but haven't gone into the woods around here for a long time.
It's all about who ya know! Growing up around here and working with alot of the farmers helps when it comes to accessing private property.

Finding a place to shoot at distance on the west side of the state is becoming increasingly hard. All the places I am aware of are located on private property. I have heard rumors of one location on public land in the central valley that you can get out to between 600 and 800 yards depending on the source of info.

It's damn hard to find a good spot without shooting over a road, even a logging road. I know of precious few and they get more overgrown each year.

My advice is, just suck it up, get a membership to COSSA and enjoy a 1400 yard gong range any time you want. Yes, it's a drive commitment however you know it's gonna be there when you want it

There's tons of land out here that is ideal but it's a matter of accessing it. Between Weyerhaeuser and Starker owning gates blocking entry to 10's of thousands of acres of BLM all over the coastal mountains and cascade foothills; its been a mfer to try and track down forest roads with access.

It's no fun burning 100 gallons of gas in a week driving all over hell and creation just trying to find an ungated forest road....

I miss central OR

It's damn hard to find a good spot without shooting over a road, even a logging road. I know of precious few and they get more overgrown each year.

My advice is, just suck it up, get a membership to COSSA and enjoy a 1400 yard gong range any time you want. Yes, it's a drive commitment however you know it's gonna be there when you want it
I get the allure but it's not my jam. Sometimes I like breaking up the monotony of gathering DOPE and ringing steel with a bump fired mag dump into trash.

I unfortunately live in the valley and recently lost access to where I usually go to stretch out to 1,000m. I don't feel like driving all the way out to central or eastern OR in order to reach out 1,000+

What do you generally do to scout out new locations? What considerations do you have when selecting a location for prolonged extended range shooting?

Looks like maybe 90 minutes for you but at least that's closer than COSSA.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top