JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Let's make this out to be as momentous as rioting...looting and you know the rest.

Yes, the guy acted like an idiot, but his actions pale in comparison to what should have been acknowledged (and continues) to be mass violence the media mostly ignores regarding the ahem, 'peaceful protestors.

Hundreds, probably thousands in the aggregate, riot, destroy by fire, vandalize, actually shoot, not just threaten to shoot, but shoot innocents, but one idiot gets the attention, while mass violence is given a pass...

Back to your corners Gentlemen, remember we're all pulling on the same rope here. Have the convo as Gentlemen or continue the petty jabs and you'll own the thread getting shut down.

Reminds of one of three times my handgun cleared leather in my three decades of carrying...

I was working part-time as a census taker in 2000 and was tasked with going to rural Idaho homes and communities and leaving forms on people's doors.

At the time, I drove an 80's Dodge Ramcharger that was very nice and lifted. I wore jeans, boots, and a Carhart jacket. I blended right it, despite being from the "Guvmint".

I had a list of addressed that I had to drop off forms to and a map. No GPS or smart phones back then. I was in the little town of Onaway, which was 95% gravel roads and 1 or 2 acre home sites. I was on a gravel road in a neighborhood and was a bit confused, so I pulled over off to the side in front of a driveway, maybe 2' off the main road, broadside with the driver's side facing the house and open garage. I was about 50' from the garage and had my window down.

I had a map out and unfolded and was looking at it when a man in his 50's, with a gray beard and wearing a denim jacket began walking briskly from the open garage. He was about 40' away and started yelling and cussing at me and looking quite angry when I looked up from the map and noticed him.

He was still cursing and animated when he got about 20' away and began reaching into his jacket. I instantly thought "gun!" and reached down and grabbed my Glock 22 I had stuffed between the bucket seat and console. I brought it up to low ready and had it pointed at him just below the top of the door sill.

He was now 5' away and as he pulled his hand out of his jacket, I began to raise the pistol. He had a cigar. A freaking cigar! He then saw the Glock, stopped dead in his tracks and his eyes got as big as saucers. I lowered my weapon and he then began cussing even louder to get the F off his property and began running back to his house. I put the rig in gear and sprayed rocks all over as I got the heck out of there.

Never did see the police or hear anything about it.

People are quite territorial about their property. :s0001:

Reminds of one of three times my handgun cleared leather in my three decades of carrying...

I was working part-time as a census taker in 2000 and was tasked with going to rural Idaho homes and communities and leaving forms on people's doors.

At the time, I drove an 80's Dodge Ramcharger that was very nice and lifted. I wore jeans, boots, and a Carhart jacket. I blended right it, despite being from the "Guvmint".

I had a list of addressed that I had to drop off forms to and a map. No GPS or smart phones back then. I was in the little town of Onaway, which was 95% gravel roads and 1 or 2 acre home sites. I was on a gravel road in a neighborhood and was a bit confused, so I pulled over off to the side in front of a driveway, maybe 2' off the main road, broadside with the driver's side facing the house and open garage. I was about 50' from the garage and had my window down.

I had a map out and unfolded and was looking at it when a man in his 50's, with a gray beard and wearing a denim jacket began walking briskly from the open garage. He was about 40' away and started yelling and cussing at me and looking quite angry when I looked up from the map and noticed him.

He was still cursing and animated when he got about 20' away and began reaching into his jacket. I instantly thought "gun!" and reached down and grabbed my Glock 22 I had stuffed between the bucket seat and console. I brought it up to low ready and had it pointed at him just below the top of the door sill.

He was now 5' away and as he pulled his hand out of his jacket, I began to raise the pistol. He had a cigar. A freaking cigar! He then saw the Glock, stopped dead in his tracks and his eyes got as big as saucers. I lowered my weapon and he then began cussing even louder to get the F off his property and began running back to his house. I put the rig in gear and sprayed rocks all over as I got the heck out of there.

Never did see the police or hear anything about it.

People are quite territorial about their property. :s0001:

Stories like show just how fast a simple misunderstanding can get deadly. Scary for sure. By the way great writing! You know how to tell a story for sure. I do my best to be real careful on rural properties and if I can always preempt any interaction with a loud open handed hello or howdy.

"We" can't stop someone from doing something like Mr. Favret did.

Favret is responsible for his own actions....unfortunately all firearm owners will be judged and held accountable for his actions that day.

While it is deemed unfair to judge other groups, as a whole , by the actions of individuals within a given group....
It does appear to be fair and acceptable to judge all firearm owners , as a whole , by the actions of a few.
Andy

This is what happens to minorities and gun owners are a minority. We are stereotyped and discriminated against, not to mention having our rights infringed.

This is what happens to minorities and gun owners are a minority. We are stereotyped and discriminated against, not to mention having our rights infringed.
Im not so certain that gun owners are a minority. My best guess is that strict gun rights supporters are a minority but not gun owners in general.
The old "one bad apple" analogy rings true for any group, if gun rights want to survive, we desperately need to embrace use of force education.

This particular guy thought he was in the right to defend his property from tresspassing, with lethal force. What an idiot.

This is the type of thing that will ultimately win the majority of the population over to banning guns. This is what the non gun owning person sees more often than not ... its no wonder why they vote the way they do. :(

Well, it's a disturbing story all right. But it's not going to get the 2A overturned. You need 36 states to agree to such a thing, and that's not very possible. And even to enforce a gun ban in the USA would be a complete exercise in futility. Even if you could get 3/4 of the states to sign off on it, you would need a few million more cops to enforce it, and a warehouse the size of New Jersey to store them all. Will never happen, and could actually cause a second War Between the States.

An outright ban attempt would be like shutting the barn door long after the horses have fled. Wouldn't work, and useless anyway. The USA is far and away numero uno on guns per capita. About 400 million in private ownership, which is more than the number of people. An attempted ban NOW...after more than 300 years of a gun culture would be pointless. The truth is, the USA would be about the LAST country on Earth where any attempt on gun banishment would have any success. If they wanted to do that, they should have done it right after the American Revolution. WAY too late now.

Well, it's a disturbing story all right. But it's not going to get the 2A overturned. You need 36 states to agree to such a thing, and that's not very possible. And even to enforce a gun ban in the USA would be a complete exercise in futility. Even if you could get 3/4 of the states to sign off on it, you would need a few million more cops to enforce it, and a warehouse the size of New Jersey to store them all. Will never happen, and could actually cause a second War Between the States.

An outright ban attempt would be like shutting the barn door long after the horses have fled. Wouldn't work, and useless anyway. The USA is far and away numero uno on guns per capita. About 400 million in private ownership, which is more than the number of people. An attempted ban NOW...after more than 300 years of a gun culture would be pointless. The truth is, the USA would be about the LAST country on Earth where any attempt on gun banishment would have any success. If they wanted to do that, they should have done it right after the American Revolution. WAY too late now.

Nice to hear a reasonable voice that isn't clutching pearls! I never did understand that gun owners panic that there was any realistic loss of the 2A. Some states are definitely better than others for being a gun owners, but I can own a gun in every single one of them still...I think once you get a certain amount of gun owners together and cherry pick all the worst state legislatures it some how turns into a federal conspiracy to break down your doors and take our children to work in the mines and melt our guns down for pick axes.

If enough "pro-gun" dumbphux vote D, vote 3rd party, or fail to vote, they will have the power to pass legislation making owning firearms inconvenient and expensive due to licensing, training, storage, new taxes, restrictions on transporting them, etc. They already have many bills introduced, and will WITHOUT QUESTION pass them in the first 90 days if they take the House, Senate, and WH:

After those are passed, they will start on confiscation bills.

Well...400 million guns have to be SOMEWHERE in the USA. And that's only the ones they know about. And sales have skyrocketed. People might go cheap on food and paying their electric bill...but by God if they don't feel safe, many of them are paying a first-time visit to their local gun store.

Here's my opinion on this whole 'they're going to ban and take all my guns' argument. It will never happen. It would never pass in the USA. Even attempting such a thing would make things way worse then when they tried Prohibition.

Not saying the government, due to some public pressure, might try to change the rules here and there on what TYPES of guns are allowed. You know the drill. No more sales of AR-15's, no mags holding more than what the gun was originally designed for...the usual stuff they try in an effort to ease the pressure from anti-gun groups. But that's probably the extent of it. Much as I don't approve of these measures, no politician in his right mind would actually try to get national support for a complete ban. It's like screwing with Social Security. The angry votes come out of the woodwork.

EDIT: I did a quick review of some of the Congressional bills that were listed. Most are about locking up your weapons, banning assault weapons (again, and that didn't last anyway), background checks, etc. None of them have the slightest mention on confiscations. Such a bill would be retroactive to present owners and a bill with such a provision could be challenged easily. People still own howitzers and full-auto machine guns. All they did was pay the fees and jump through the Federal hoops.

This one is from 2005, but it doesn't matter. It's always the same deal, and always fun.

Last Edited:
Im not so certain that gun owners are a minority. My best guess is that strict gun rights supporters are a minority but not gun owners in general.
The old "one bad apple" analogy rings true for any group, if gun rights want to survive, we desperately need to embrace use of force education.

This particular guy thought he was in the right to defend his property from tresspassing, with lethal force. What an idiot.
My guess is that there are maybe 100-150 million gun owners in the USA. We may have somewhere between 300-500 million guns, but a lot of those guns are owned by people who own more than one gun.

The percentage, if not the absolute number, of gun owners gets smaller as time goes on.

I still say, that less than half of the population in the USA owns a gun, which makes us a minority.

The problem is that gun owners are not necessarily strict gun rights supporters. The evidence doesn't suggest that gun owners are a minority.

...no politician in his right mind would actually try to get national support for a complete ban.
I honestly believe this was part of the driving force that swept Trump into the Oval Office...

Waiting for the dems to get on the anti-gun band wagon again... Seems they never learn that lesson...

As for the number of gun owners in the country, I think it's a lot more than III%... Just sayin...

@Koda said: "This particular guy thought he was in the right to defend his property from tresspassing, with lethal force."

I agree, I would not react like he did, but....
He did not use lethal force. He had it available because he said he had recent problems with criminal activity on his property. I'll let the jury decide if he was justified in having a gun in his hand - there is much we don't know about this incident.

We should not act like Obama, assigning guilt before any facts are known. Innocent until proven guilty.

The problem is that gun owners are not necessarily strict gun rights supporters. The evidence doesn't suggest that gun owners are a minority.

the numbers do not support the assertion that gun owners are in the majority either. Just because we have X number of guns, doesn't mean we have that same number of gun owners. As mentioned in the article I posted, a number of gun owners own much more than a single gun.

Also, the assertion that just because there are a lot of guns being bought recently means that most of those people are new gun owners is not necessarily true either. Surely some percentage are, but how many are new and how many are already owners? That there are "many" new gun owners is an assumption that we don't have evidence for.

@XoXSciFiGuy said: "None of them have the slightest mention on confiscations."

From HR 5717:

"This bill makes various changes to the federal framework governing the sale, transfer, and possession of firearms and ammunition. Among other things, the bill does the following:

>generally requires individuals to obtain a license to purchase, acquire, or possess a firearm or ammunition;
>raises the minimum age—from 18 years to 21 years—to purchase firearms and ammunition;
>establishes new background check requirements for firearm transfers between private parties;
>requires law enforcement agencies to be notified following a firearms-related background check that results in a denial;
>creates a statutory process for a family or household member to petition a court for an extreme risk protection order to remove firearms from an individual who poses a risk of committing violence;
>restricts the import, sale, manufacture, transfer, or possession of semiautomatic assault weapons and large capacity ammunition feeding devices;
>restricts the manufacture, sale, transfer, purchase, or receipt of ghost guns (i.e., guns without serial numbers);
>makes trafficking in firearms a stand-alone criminal offense;
>requires federally licensed gun dealers to submit and annually certify compliance with a security plan to detect and deter firearm theft;
>removes limitations on the civil liability of gun manufacturers;
>allows the Consumer Product Safety Commission to issue safety standards for firearms and firearm components;
>establishes a community violence intervention grant program;
>promotes research on firearms safety and gun violence prevention."

Does the bill ban "semi-auto assault" weapons? USA Today says yes:

Our ruling: True
The claim on the pro-gun Facebook page that an assault weapons ban bill was introduced in the House is TRUE. If passed, H.R. 5717 would ban semiautomatic assault weapons.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top