JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I should preface this by saying I've, generally, in adulthood, have been between survival mode (productive, but most unpleasant) or gonzo mode (also productive, but silly, and sometimes unhealthy, even self-destructive); neither could be described as "unmotivated". But I get struggle, so maybe this would help:

• Make it an essential to have your health in peek condition, as best as you can, with what you got, where you are. Diet, exercise, mental health, social health, sexual health, etc., just focus on it. It isn't going to happen overnight. Or in a week. Or a month. But make progress everyday. It may seem "meh" now, but in a while you'll be amazed by the results.
  • Some medications and drugs directly cause lack of motivation and energy levels. If you are on anything, it is time to review what the side effects can be. (For example; I had a pretty bad injury happen late last year. I was prescribed pain meds, a muscle relaxant, and an antibiotic. One of those, over time, caused some nasty side effects, so I booted it. Medications can do amazing curative things, but they aren't without side effects.)
  • I have to agree with the others: this sounds like depression. Now that condition is a slippery little bugger and can manifest in all sorts of odd ways, but lack of motivation is a major feature in many cases.
  • As best as you can, positively drop kick anyone out of your life who is toxic. Now, I know that is much easier said than done, but it can be done, at least to some extent. Mitigating the impact of idiots, ugly souls, and the rest of the walking problems, is conducive to mental health.
  • On the flip side, cultivate, nurture, and love those relationships that make you blossom. Spouse, children, friends, colleagues, etc., they can all help in your journey. And doing best for your wee ones is the best way to keep this wacky adventure continuing into the future.
  • The Buddha once said "To insist on a spiritual practice that served you in the past is to carry the raft on your back after you have crossed the river." While I take little stock in "spiritual practice", the point remains that life is ever changing; something that gave you great joy for years or decades may not now. Or it may not now, but can come back later. One solution? Try something totally, absolutely new and see what it does for you. Oh, odds are it will be crap, but rinse and repeat and you'll find something new and awesome.
  • Take a good, hard look at where your career is. Is it working? Do you need more challenge, long hours, the delight of punching things out and pulling in the big bucks? Or is it time to down shift, hard, and find a more balanced life and no longer stress it? Neither is right or wrong; it is what will fit your life now. (I, literally, just got back from an interview for a new position, so this is on the mind.)
  • Get outside. We live in one of the most beautiful regions in the world, and I would stack it up against any other spot on the planet for natural beauty. Restores the mind, gives exercise to the body.
  • Declutter your space. Keep it clean, functional, organized, and a benefit, not a drag. If something is no longer being used, get rid of it. If something isn't working, replace it. If someone else can get some use, have joy in giving it away. And, though I never got the appeal, it was alluded to in the original post; consumerism is an absolute waste of time, money, and energy. It is beyond pointless and I'm not surprised that treadmill could make someone unhappy.
  • Make rest, reflection, and even mediation a thing. (I have to admit, I positively suck at this, but there is a there there.)
  • Simply stop taking it all seriously. Absolute best case, most of us have, what, 65—80 years on this little blue marble? Many folks, far less. Love deeply and honestly, do your duty to the utmost in whatever your station is in life, have as much fun you can pack in, because at the end of the day, none of us make it out alive.
Good luck. Here's hoping you can get that mojo work'n. :)

Last Edited:
jim morrison alabama song live GIF by The Doors

Mr. Mojo Risin'...
Wait...Jim Morrison , might not be the best example of a lifestyle choice...:D
Andy

Forcing myself to do more, keep up my yard, the house, my looks. It's a bubblegum, its tiring, but its become habit. Recently I've even added some mild exercise.

Things aren't peachy, though they're better than it was.

Make your bed

Expanding on the thought to start with something small (making your bed), and gaining momentum from there, solidifying your daily/weekly/ monthly goals with a list is tremendously helpful. Crossing things off your list is extremely satisfying and motivating to do the next thing.

I try and visualize what a perfect day looks like. The day that you end feeling accomplished and satisfied that you didn't waste it (you only get so many). For me, that day is one that I spend gaining progress on goals. I rarely have a "rest day". I find that the more down time I have, the harder it is to get motivated again.

So I would say:

Set goals (chores, financial, fitness, get organized etc)
Make a list of steps to accomplish those goals
Start small and gain momentum

I see quite a few votes for depression. I am skeptical that is the issue but willing to pursue the idea (minus paying anybody for counseling or taking meds). I suspect it's more of a deeply ingrained laziness pattern from years and years of getting away with putting stuff off and being content with low effort rewards.

As others have mentioned maybe I shouldn't be comparing myself to the overachievers like my wife. This morning we were talking about the subject and she said she couldn't fathom the idea of settling for Ds in school even though you could graduate that way. I was thinking to myself why the heck not, you would get the same diploma for a lot less work.

If I do feel the need to compare myself to someone, I will start comparing myself to my bonus son who can't even manage to bring his dirty dishes downstairs.

Maybe the wife will forget about the cabinet caulking and clutter when I am rocking a set of six pack abs at the end of Oct:)

I have discussed my lack of motivation in various threads more recently in the dopamine thread. I believe that was just another excuse to blame for my lack of motivation/desire. Previously I have thought it could my low testosterone, diet, poor sleep habits, aging, etc. Those are all excuses that haven't panned out to the problem. I am in a many years long rut of not having the desire or motivation to do much of anything outside of going to work, hanging on the internet, sleeping and eating.

Edit: My wife is a half foot shorter and weighs significantly more than I do, has sleep apnea, eats a terrible diet, has an office job, rarely exercises and probably has a lower level of testosterone than I do. Despite all this she was promoted at work, works overtime, completed a lengthy leadership class (for work) that involved lots of homework, frequently goes out with friends, went on vacation to mexico recently and generally gets stuff done with out procrastinating. She is essentially proving to me that what I have offered up as excuses are not valid reasons for me not getting stuff done.

If you were ever in a similiar situation and snapped out of it (without pharmaceuticals), how did you do it?

My hope is to find a solution that leads me to want to get stuff done, not ways to force myself to get stuff done.
Really good Q. I'll have to think about it before giving any kind of useful response. In the meantime this is worth watching (or watching again if you have already seen it) I think:

If I do feel the need to compare myself to someone, I will start comparing myself to my bonus son who can't even manage to bring his dirty dishes downstairs.
Totally get this. But it is ultimately self-defeating. There is always going to be folks that do or have it better. And there are plenty of others that have it far worse. It doesn't matter. The sun rises every morning and with it brings the promise of doing a little better. (Granted, this is coming from someone so far past the point of burnout, it isn't even funny, so, yah, grain of salt. :p)

P.S. What is a "bonus son"? I referred to my second child as an "extra baby", so maybe same thing?

Totally get this. But it is ultimately self-defeating. There is always going to be folks that do or have it better. And there are plenty of others that have it far worse. It doesn't matter. The sun rises every morning and with it brings the promise of doing a little better. (Granted, this is coming from someone so far past the point of burnout, it isn't even funny, so, yah, grain of salt. :p)

P.S. What is a "bonus son"? I referred to my second child as an "extra baby", so maybe same thing?
Stepson. It's supposedly not PC these days, I am exercising my woke skills. I was half kidding about comparing myself to him. It would be a super low bar to reach, starting with quitting my job, having my wife take care of every need, etc.

I have ADHD. I had to go through a bunch of testing that took all day before I got prescribed any medication for it. Your issues sound a lot like those that stem from having ADHD and are basically a self-perpetuating spiral. I would recommend reading the book below, which is geared toward results and is formatted for people who have trouble focusing on 'study material' for long periods of time. I might actually be able to loan it to you if you have an amazon account.

I have ADHD. I had to go through a bunch of testing that took all day before I got prescribed any medication for it. Your issues sound a lot like those that stem from having ADHD and are basically a self-perpetuating spiral. I would recommend reading the book below, which is geared toward results and is formatted for people who have trouble focusing on 'study material' for long periods of time. I might actually be able to loan it to you if you have an amazon account.

I was going to read it until I found out it had more than two pages. Kidding. Thank you for the link, I will look into it.

I discovered one more thing I can do consistently, spend money on NWFA classified purchases. It's probably not as productive as making the bed but I sure am consistent with it. Spending freezes are for chumps.

Starting over sounds good.

For me the life I had was the one I had to live due to my station in life, we are who we are under the consumer economy and culture. Your working life is to be what others want if you work for others.

We start over when we retire, no longer debt slaves and we do what pleases ourselves.

Retirement done right makes you truly free even if you don't retire rich. The world is completely different for free me.

For me the life I had was the one I had to live due to my station in life, we are who we are under the consumer economy and culture. Your working life is to be what others want if you work for others.

We start over when we retire, no longer debt slaves and we do what pleases ourselves.

Retirement done right makes you truly free even if you don't retire rich. The world is completely different for free me.
I hope to be as free one day. I have a cabin property with surrounding forest that misses me. The wife doesn't dig the property and forest like I do so our time together will be limited but should I ever become a surviving spouse, I will spend a lot of time down there. If my wife ends up being the surviving half, somebody will get a cabin on 2.25 acres bordering a national forest for really cheap.

Last Edited:
I hope to be as free one day. I have a cabin property with surrounding forest that misses me. The wife doesn't dig the property and forest like I do so are time together will be limited but should I ever become a surviving spouse, I will spend a lot of time down there. If my wife ends up being the surviving half, somebody will get a cabin on 2.25 acres bordering a national forest for really cheap.

Let your wife know that I'm interested in the cabin purchase when she decides to become a "surviving" spouse....

Quit making excuses and just do it, start with making a list.
Totally agreed with this. One super low tech thing I've done for decades is:

• Have a daily To Do list text file that gets updated every night.
  • Next morning, printed out, and tapped to a notebook.
  • Grind through the list. Anything that didn't make it in that day is added to the next day and it is already in the file.
  • Rinse and repeat.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads