JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ironically, Medic!, you chose the exact right word to describe why polymer is superior to metal in so many applications: its toughness. Or "tuff," as you said. Toughness is a mechanical property that relates to damage tolerance, specifically surface penetration. Composite polymers tend to degrade gracefully rather than catastrophically, which is why it's so unusual to see that pistol frame snapped cleanly. Metals yield and plastically deform at much smaller deflections than polymers, which are famed for remaining in their elastic ranges over almost any imaginable design requirement.

There's a reason why things like modern aircraft contain so much polymer composite, and it's not simply strength/weight ratio. When you need a device to maintain its functionality even after a large excursion outside its intended operating envelope, the elastic tolerance and graceful degradation of the yield strength are valuable assets that might just bring your tattered plane back home.

Something like this?

I recently watched a video of a Ruger factory tour where they demonstrated dropping a 5 pound weight on their new polymer trigger guards. Polymer came through without a scratch, the old aluminium guard split in two.

Just like metals there are many different plastics out there with different properties, and gun frames polymers aren't the same as clamshell packaging. Your reasoning isn't scientific, it's not even empirical, it's purely emotional.

Actually, looks like a demilled piece. See the press marks?

Everyone knows I hate to be the voice of reason (and I much prefer stainless guns over my polymer ones) but this is te result of someone improperly positioning items on the belt and then rolling their fat rear onto it. With the baton wedged under the grip like it is on the belt configuration you put some real strong mechanical forces into play. Dropping 250lbs onto the unsupported end of a hollow grip frame that is literally positioned onto a cross beam like that can snap or bend even solid steel.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top