JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys -

I sat down and loaded a bunch of rounds last week, and when I went to seat the bullets, the cases weren't sized properly (yes, I know, I should have checked before I loaded them with powder - GREAT lesson learned). I fixed those cases (took hours), but as I sat down for another reloading session, it turns out the problem wasn't the in the die as I first thought, but was the pin used to secure the cam at the base of the press handle to the ram. The pin had worked itself out, and was blocked by a stabilizer bar keeping the ram from moving the last 1/4" of the stroke. I used a hammer to get the pin back in place (carefully), but it worked itself back out by the end of the evening (I only re-sized 80 cases of 45, and loaded 25 cases of .308 from sizing to crimp). I don't see any place on the pin for a clip or retainer ring, and the pin is pretty stout - doesn't look like it should move! The press was factory new a year ago.

Any ideas? Is this a common problem with these presses?:huh:

Thanks,

Bobby

Hey guys -

I sat down and loaded a bunch of rounds last week, and when I went to seat the bullets, the cases weren't sized properly (yes, I know, I should have checked before I loaded them with powder - GREAT lesson learned). I fixed those cases (took hours), but as I sat down for another reloading session, it turns out the problem wasn't the in the die as I first thought, but was the pin used to secure the cam at the base of the press handle to the ram. The pin had worked itself out, and was blocked by a stabilizer bar keeping the ram from moving the last 1/4" of the stroke. I used a hammer to get the pin back in place (carefully), but it worked itself back out by the end of the evening (I only re-sized 80 cases of 45, and loaded 25 cases of .308 from sizing to crimp). I don't see any place on the pin for a clip or retainer ring, and the pin is pretty stout - doesn't look like it should move! The press was factory new a year ago.

Any ideas? Is this a common problem with these presses?:huh:

Thanks,

Bobby

I'm not familiar with that particular press, but you could replace the pin with a roll pin or coiled spring pin. I'd give Hornady a call. Their tech service guys and gals are great.

Is there any retaining device on the pin. For example, the cross pin at the bottom of the ram on my Dillon is secured with a set screw.

I'm not directly familiar with the Hornady but all the presses I am familiar with have either set screws, roll pins, or "Circlips" to retain this pin. Take a close look and see if you aren't overlooking something.

The suggestion to call Hornady is a good one as well. I have very little of their equipment but the one time I did have to call them was 110% favorable.

I had to take a look at mine after I seen this post it does not have any retainer pins/clips that I could see but I have never had a problem with the pin working itself out and I have loaded at least a few thousand rounds Good Luck

Is there any retaining device on the pin. Take a close look and see if you aren't overlooking something.

I checked the press again last night and didn't see anything, but depending on what Hornady has to say, it may be worth my time to use a drill press and get a set screw - great idea! When the pin is in place, it is flush on all sides, so there is no room for a retention device otherwise (and the room on either side of the pin is so small, a C-clamp or something similar will not allow for a full stroke, either). Attached is a picture of the press schematics. The pin is number 12, and it is slipping out to the right, and when I pull the handle, the pin blocks the link (7) from allowing the ram to rise any further. It's a small amount - hardly noticeable.

th_Press.jpg

Am I thinking about this all wrong? Should I simply get a little Loctite? That may be the easiest thing...

If you can clean out the pin hole to remove all the grease/oil prior to applying the LocTite, that would probably work fine and is certainly worth a try to get you back in business...I'd still give Hornady a call to let them know about the problem (could be a bad batch that made it out the door), and give them the opportunity to provide a permanent fix.

I called Hornady - and they said they have gotten a few calls with this issue, and had a quick response. The simple solution is to take a center punch and hit that pin really hard and it will get the message and 'stay home.' I asked if it will void the warranty or anything, and he said, 'Ahh, heck no, just go ahead and give 'er all you got, and she'll be just fine.'

There ya go. Thanks guys.

I called Hornady - and they said they have gotten a few calls with this issue, and had a quick response. The simple solution is to take a center punch and hit that pin really hard and it will get the message and 'stay home.' I asked if it will void the warranty or anything, and he said, 'Ahh, heck no, just go ahead and give 'er all you got, and she'll be just fine.'

There ya go. Thanks guys.

What they're telling you to do sounds like "upsetting" the end of the pin so it's tighter in the hole. That could work. Now that I've seen the diagram I think I'd just take a center punch (nice and sharp point) and place stake the pin in place. Three or four points on the casting around the pin hole. If you ever have to remove it just punch it out and then re-stake when it's replaced. More simple than drilling, tapping, and threading a hole for a set screw. Also a more "precise" method than the "smack it with all you've got" advice.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top