JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
New member here, and I already found a benefit of this site. I wear contact lenses but I still believe my vision isn't what it could or should be. My goal is to improve my vision and hopefully improve my accuracy. So..........I'm looking for a firearms friendly eye doctor who would better understand what I need and maybe get some help. I work out of the Hillsboro area, anybody have any referrals? Thanks in advance.

Why thank-you! I excel at randomness I guess. You don't get that I'm asking if anybody can recommend an eye doctor in the Hillsboro area, hopefully a fellow gun owner?

New member here, and I already found a benefit of this site. I wear contact lenses but I still believe my vision isn't what it could or should be. My goal is to improve my vision and hopefully improve my accuracy. So..........I'm looking for a firearms friendly eye doctor who would better understand what I need and maybe get some help. I work out of the Hillsboro area, anybody have any referrals? Thanks in advance.

I have a friend that swears he was able to restore his eyesight. He said he read a book called "Born-Again Vision" by Jessica Krane, followed the exercises and he was able to function without the need of eyeglasses. Claimed he brought it back from being legally blind. I have no reason to disbelieve his claim. As always, YMMV.

Good luck!

I have a friend that swears he was able to restore his eyesight. He said he read a book called "Born-Again Vision" by Jessica Krane, followed the exercises and he was able to function without the need of eyeglasses. Claimed he brought it back from being legally blind. I have no reason to disbelieve his claim. As always, YMMV.

Good luck!

Now i read this, GUH! after spending a couple grand on lasik Why didn't i ask the most random question of the year.

Honestly so glad to be rid of those glasses . has it improved my shooting? meh not really.

Now i read this, GUH! after spending a couple grand on lasik Why didn't i ask the most random question of the year.

Honestly so glad to be rid of those glasses . has it improved my shooting? meh not really.

So it sounds like you're luke warm on the Lasik? I have considered that and I hear some pretty good personal testimonies, but not sure I'm willing to commit to something so permament and costly. Now, read a book and try some exercises? That's a no brainer. We know that other parts of the body respond to exercise, guess you gotta think it's possible. Thanks for the open minded approach as far as responses. I'd still be willing to spend the cost of an office visit to a referred eye doc if anyone suggests one. The tough thing is when you correct vision artificially it seems you only get one or the other. you can see up close but not distant, or distant but not up close. Of course, the sight picture requires the front sight(30") and the target
(10'-?).

I've worn hard contacts since 1962. My vision has always been poor although the contacts did wonders. A few years ago I went to another eye Dr. and discussed laser surgery. He said my eyes wouldn't benefit from it. He did change me over to soft contacts, then a year later (it takes a year to get over the eye changes that occur with hard contacts) he had me go to an eye clinic. They determined that I had enough cataract to do lens replacement. The put in lenses with the correction built in (not laser surgery). I went from not being able to see the big E to 20/10 vision. What an average person (20/20) can see at 10 feet I can see at 20 feet (20/10). BUT my close up vision is terrible and I have to grab cheaters to read or work on a computer. Exepensive? YES, but well worth it to me!!

Guess I should add: my need for reading glasses at close range is EXACTLY why some of my weapons, especially my daily carry, have laser's on them!! Don't really need the sights once they're sighted in.

sign me up also. i wear contacts and have a hard time with iron sights and the focus of the front sight to target.

Yeah, I started with hard lenses in about '68 and all manner of soft since then. Now, my brother (5 yrs older) had cataract surgery and is crazy lovin' it. I've never been told of any issue with cataracts so I don't think I qualify for that.(?) Which makes me think even more about the eye exercises. Good point about the lasers. Got CT laser grips on the XDM .45 at home, but the 3914 is my carry friend, can't find what I like for it. And would still like to improve the vision because I do enjoy shooting. My current(trusted) eye doc just seems to shrug his shoulders when I try to describe the problem of the up close sights vs. the some-distance targets. And trying to seem them both clearly, at the same time. Then throw in low light conditions.......well, you know. Did the cataract surgery eliminate the low light problem?

Roger that nforest. I haven't worn my 'emergency backup' glasses in so long, it would probably take a day or two for my eyes to adjust to them but maybe I need to break them out and give them a try. There are some really good shooters out there that wear glasses(national champs).

Did the cataract surgery eliminate the low light problem?

What "low light problem"? My eyes have always been sensitive to light, the Dr's checked and said my iris didn't close down enough so I wear sunglasses a lot of the time. I also found sunglasses with reading lenses (like bifocals) in the lower portion of the lens. Lets me clearly see the gauges plus out the windows clearly. I got two pair at Sportsmans Warehouse for $25 each and another at an RV gathering for $12.

I went through the evaluation process for surgery at Casey Eye Institute at OHSU, and I would recommend to anyone. I was told that while I might be able to find someone willing to do my eyes, they didn't think I was an ideal candidate. That's all I needed to hear. The evaluation felt entirely "medical" rather than a hoop to go through before someone would start slicing and dicing.

I ended up getting contacts at Hawthorne Vision (I know, could I recommend a place further away from Hillsboro?). I saw Dr. Uhlig, told her I was looking to improve accuracy at the range and not have to double up on eye protection. We went through different contact options, and I tried each version at the range before settling on the pair that seemed to fit and work best for my astigmatism.

I can highly recommend Dr. Joan Ploem Miller at Baseline Vision Clinic in Hillsboro. She has taken care of my family's vision needs for years. I remember one time when I got a contact stuck way back in my eye socket and could not get it out. I was panicked and called her. She let me come to her house on a weekend and she took care of me there.

Baseline Vision Clinic - Hillsboro, OR

I had LASIK about three years ago at Restore Vision Center in the Portland area (Tigard?), and it's the best money I've ever spent.

My night vision didn't improve any, and I don't think it's helped my accuracy any since I had 20/20 before with the help of glasses, but to be rid of those godawful birth control goggles....priceless!

Not in Hillsboro but I use Gareth Tabor in Lake Oswego at the Lake Oswego Eye Clinic. He does good work. I was wearing glasses when I first went to see him, then went to contacts, then elected to do Lasik (he does the procedure at OHSU). My uncorrected vision was 20/225 left eye, 20/475 right/shootin eye (with astigmatism). Legally blind is 20/200. After lasik it was 20/20 in both eyes. Near vision is unchanged although he said I may still need reading glasses when I get older, which is normal, as the eye shrinks with age it moves the focal point past the rear of the eye so most people even with perfect vision will need reading glasses when they get into their 50s-60s. That's just for up close though like reading, it shouldn't affect iron sight use.

Now that there is a wealth of information.
deen_ad, I have safety glasses with a built in 'reader' type lower lense available free at work, just can't seem to make them work for me. And I actually find that the yellow lense safety (or shooting) glasses seem to improve and brighten my vision slightly, while regular dark sunglasses hinder. The best sunglasses I've come across just recently were loaned to me while jetboating. They are Oakleys and most importantly the tint is called 'shallow blue'. Cuts the glare on the water, doesn't darken anything..................really expensive.

phocid, that seems like the wisest first step someone even considering lasik could take. Honest evaluation, not pumping you up for the sale.

cougfan2, thanks for the lead and link. I recognize the office, drive by it often. I like thier web-site. Says some good things, I'll check them out.

coosbaycreep, Lasik is well worth the money for a lot of people. At this point I've gotten rid of my glasses with contacts(which is great, I agree with you) but I have faith in science and might be hoping for too much but I'd love to see what the next advancement is.

DoubleTapDrew, that's a substantial correction, do you feel it affected your shooting at all? Did you do Lasik to lose the glasses or ? I'm going to break out my glasses (first time in yrs.) this Friday, wear them all weekend then go shoot Sunday evening. Haven't worn them for more than a day since 6th grade and never have shot with them.

Thanks for all the input, it is really helpful.

anyone considering getting lasik should read up on it and compare it to PRK
PRK takes more time to heal and is more painful but less complications.

Lasik is far less painful but there are possible complications

DoubleTapDrew, that's a substantial correction, do you feel it affected your shooting at all? Did you do Lasik to lose the glasses or ? I'm going to break out my glasses (first time in yrs.) this Friday, wear them all weekend then go shoot Sunday evening. Haven't worn them for more than a day since 6th grade and never have shot with them.
I think it improved my pistol shooting a little bit, however with my contacts I was close to 20/20 anyway. The main reason I did it was to lose the glasses/contacts and not have to worry about fumbling around in the middle of the night to be able to see. It was definitely worth it. Shooting with glasses and eye protection was a pain, and with contacts they tended to slip once in a while while blinking, especially if your eyes got dry, which would blur the vision until they settled back into place.

Good luck!

There is also a website by the same name which sells the same information. I bought it yesterday for too much money just to "have it now". I'm pretty confident you can get the same information for free at any public library or for around $10 at Powell's, or any other bookstore that carries used books. Anyway, I am a sucker for old home remedies alternative medicine/cures so I will diligently work through the eye exercises and report my results in a months' time. I am naturally skeptical yet hopeful at the same time.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top