JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Tacrig is out of stock. Optics planet only has the night vision version.

Gf gave me money for my b day to buy this optic. But can't find it anywhere to order. I know it won't be available until later this year but want to order before price goes up.

your gf is buying you a thermal... marry her.

While i like the idea of digital nvg combined with thermal imaging, i don't think the holosun is where it's at. the shotshow b roll of the holosun thermal was both unimpressive and also an unrealistic setting.

I could be wrong, but i've used various pvs14, dual tubes and also the sionyx opsin and aurora. I'm currently a few weeks away on pulling the trigger on a big-boy thermal optic and have spent a few yrs researching and using various night devices. For context, i have dual tube nods and for close-in gooning and land navigation nods are king.

The holosun seems like a close-range cqb thermal... and this seems like a big mistake: cqb thermal should be a head mounted e-coti type device that augments nods. So, for me a close range thermal would be some sort of e-coti like the iray jerry c5 that does a thermal overlay on traditional night vision. For a weapon mounted thermal, i'd get something that can reach out further than the holosun unit.

also, idk if the holosun is really where it's at when it comes to thermal. i know their budget red dots work and are a solid value, but the thermal game is different and it's a big risk to buy into a company's first foray in a new space. if you don't have experience with night hunting and/or night vision then you may not know what the best strategy is. The idea of a cqb thermal weapon sight seems misguided; cqb thermal is best as a head mounted overlay on nvg.

cqb thermal:
head mounted e-coti/infiray-jerry c combined with intensifier tube night vision. or maybe a flir breach or similar w/ pvs14 on the other eye.

weapon mounted thermal optics: (can qd off of rifle as a handheld monocular)
4k-6k price range:
right now, IrayUSA / Infiray is the top dog with their 640 core lineup, but they're in the 4k-6k price range. The infiray rico 640 cores are the current gold standard for serious coyote and hog hunters that kill stuff in the dark.

2-2.5k price range:
for more budget friendly units, the AGM rattler 384 cores in either the ts25 or ts35 are strong values at either 2k or 2.5k street price.

also, the red dot display is gonna backlight your face so anyone with nvg will be able to easily spot and dispatch you on a 2 way range.

you can't move around using the optic to see, so you're also gonna need a night vision device... and the thermal red dot display won't work with nods.

the whole concept kinda sucks.

Never heard of it, some specifics might help. I've not been into the Holosun thing, but this might be an interesting toy for one of the .22s!

@SunTzu Not everything needs to go to war. Sometimes you just want to whack some rats in the backyard in the dark! I have yet to have one shoot back at me!

Never heard of it, some specifics might help. I've not been into the Holosun thing, but this might be an interesting toy for one of the .22s!

@SunTzu Not everything needs to go to war. Sometimes you just want to whack some rats in the backyard in the dark! I have yet to have one shoot back at me!
that's a fair point, but even for whacking rats ya wanna get the most bang for the buck.

word is the holosun thermal is gonna cost about $2,300 bucks, at which point there's a lot of other ways to whack rats, like an agm rattler 384 core.

here's an article about the holosun: https://www.outdoorlife.com/gear/holosun-drs-review/

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top