JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
.40 proponents like to ignore a couple of points:

And 9 proponents like to act like pompous fools.

(Certainly not all, of course, just SOME of them! :cool: ) Condescending, rude attitudes reveal small minded insecurity.

Many shooters are able to afford the practice ammo that they desire, regardless of caliber.

Many shooters know how to manage recoil quite comfortably.

9mm can be an acceptable defense caliber and, for many, is quite appropriate for their particular situation. And there's nothing wrong with that. But 9mm is not a "superior" choice of calibers, generally speaking. It is but one of several options, with its own set of advantages and disadvantages. Well-suited to some and less-suited to others.

If you're feeling inadequacy having chosen 9mm, feeling the need to myopically marginalize those who choose heavier calibers than 9mm, I feel sorry for you.

No.

.40 proponents do not "like to ignore" anything. Most of them make their choice as a reasoned, sensible, appropriate decision, based on experience, and well-suited to their particular individual needs and situation.

Don't paint your prejudiced, bias blanket over the tens of (hundreds of?) thousands of intelligent, seasoned .40 caliber shooters.

Last Edited:
Main thing is to find a place that sells the 50 rnd boxes, not the 20 rnd. plastic boutique packaging you find in stores for the same price. My typical shipping cost from SGAmmo was $12.

Have you seen any 50rd boxes of HST loads lately? The best I've come up with are those rip off 20rd boxes for over $20 plus shipping I'd grab it if I saw any.
Let me know where to find it if you've seen any 50rd boxes lately. With 50 shots I'd be able to rotate the ones in my gun and take some practice shots. With those that are a valuable as gold nuggets I can't afford to waste any of the crappy rounds I'm currently carrying. Paid around $20 for them and they tested out junk.
Gabby

In 50 years, technology will have changed the game dramatically. Energy weapons will be much smaller, lighter and less expensive than they are now. How much smaller and lighter, I cannot say. Whether they will outshine the ubiquitous 9mm, I can only guess. How susceptible to politicians they will be, who can say?

This reminds me - I have to practice my running away screaming more. It scares the neighbors, but their kids love it. /s

I won't be around in 50 years to see if your prediction comes true or not, but I would like to point out we are still using for the most part weapons technology 50 and 100 years old, so I'm just a little pessimistic about the advances in 50 years time. Someone wake me up and let me know how much better one of those "energy weapons" is in 50 years. :rolleyes: LOL
Is that a euphemism for firearm?
Gabby

Have you seen any 50rd boxes of HST loads lately? The best I've come up with are those rip off 20rd boxes for over $20 plus shipping I'd grab it if I saw any.

If you mean on a shelf in a store, then no. I'm sure the profit margin is higher on the 20 round boxes... and they look nice.

I've gotten them from these places. They are currently in stock and at a damn good price.

50 Round Box - 9mm Federal HST 124 Grain JHP Hollow Point LE Ammo P9HST1 | SGAmmo.com

Federal Tactical® HST® 9mm 50/BOX HST HP 124gr Duty ammo ammunition

The only issue I have with online ammunition is some of the boxes arrive damaged. SGAmmo brags about their packaging because they double box, but having one box banging around inside another box doesn't do anything.

I actually got one where the box was crushed to the point there was noticeable setback on 3 of the cartridges in one of the boxes. Look at the cartridge in the front corner in this photo and what corner of the box looks like.

Setback.jpg

I won't be around in 50 years to see if your prediction comes true or not, but I would like to point out we are still using for the most part weapons technology 50 and 100 years old, so I'm just a little pessimistic about the advances in 50 years time. Someone wake me up and let me know how much better one of those "energy weapons" is in 50 years. :rolleyes: LOL
Is that a euphemism for firearm?
Gabby
I may well not be here by then either. We currently have laser weapons small enough to mount in aircraft, EM pulse weapons in development, and sonic weapons that fit on a Jeep. I'm quite sure they'll advance greatly in far less than 50 years. Will they be good enough to replace the 9mm? Dunno.

If you mean on a shelf in a store, then no. I'm sure the profit margin is higher on the 20 round boxes... and they look nice.

I've gotten them from these places. They are currently in stock and at a damn good price.

50 Round Box - 9mm Federal HST 124 Grain JHP Hollow Point LE Ammo P9HST1 | SGAmmo.com

Federal Tactical® HST® 9mm 50/BOX HST HP 124gr Duty ammo ammunition

The only issue I have with online ammunition is some of the boxes arrive damaged. SGAmmo brags about their packaging because they double box, but having one box banging around inside another box doesn't do anything.

I actually got one where the box was crushed to the point there was noticeable setback on 3 of the cartridges in one of the boxes. Look at the cartridge in the front corner in this photo and what corner of the box looks like.

View attachment 326743

Thank you kind sir that's great, I'll be taking advantage of one of them once I've completely checked them out!
Gabby

I didn't realize it immediately but I had seen GT Dist. before but somehow missed their price on the HST ammo.
I'll be buying from them even though the other (SGammo) seller's price was cheaper. Their shipping more than made up the difference.
Thanks again

Last Edited:
If you're feeling inadequacy having chosen 9mm, feeling the need to myopically marginalize those who choose heavier calibers than 9mm, I feel sorry for you.

Wow, that was uncalled for. Struck a nerve, did I? With that reaction, looks like you are the one feeling inadequate. Maybe you missed the smiley in my post; it was not meant to be a serious dig. Lighten up dude. It doesn't matter what anybody shoots. o_O

Lets pour some gas on the flame war of calibers - we should all realize how inadequate our carry rounds are compared to .50 AE, .50 GI or .500 S&W Magnum - when you wanna poke a big hole, take down a charging bear, or remove pesky enemy orbital platforms and recon aircraft, nothing less than a .50 of some sort will do. If it's good enough to take down an air craft, it's good enough for the crackhead on the corner, right? :D

Now back to 9 v 40 v 45 v 357 Sig (hey, don't forget about that hot 9mm!) vs revolvers. Where's PlayboyPenguin aka YankeeMarshall on this one...

I'm new to all this and my experience is limited to shooting .45. But I can attest that it has reliably stopped each attacking piece of paper and chipboard so far.

You can't argue with success.

Let me know where to find it if you've seen any 50rd boxes lately. With 50 shots I'd be able to rotate the ones in my gun and take some practice shots. With those that are a valuable as gold nuggets I can't afford to waste any of the crappy rounds I'm currently carrying. Paid around $20 for them and they tested out junk.
Gabby

Target Sport USA has the 147g for $19.99 and the 124g for $22.99 for boxes of 50. They also offer free shipping if you buy a case. It's great to have extra so you can cycle your ammo, practice with it occasionally, and/or have some in reserve in case SHTF. But if you truly don't need a case, perhaps you can find a buddy to split it with. It's a pretty popular round so hopefully that isn't too hard. These are pretty good prices btw. I don't know if anyone has them for less right now but I've routinely paid $26-$30/box in the past for HST's.

Federal HST 9mm 147 Grain LE JHP

You can really see who is gouging the most!
More options, thanks.
My ammo arrived today & I have reloaded. the Magtech will now be practice ammo
not my defense load.
If I had seen Shooting The Bull's reports on it first I never would have bought it. Live and learn. :rolleyes::D
Thankfully I never had to learn of its short comings the hard way.
I also pray I'll never have to use the HST's in a defensive situation, I do plan to shoot a few to see how they act in my pistol, and whether I can keep them on target.
Gabby

Last Edited:
Sigmadog:

What you describe here is not at all what happened in this horrible tragedy. You have a total misimpression of the situation, as a lot of relevant information about the circumstances was not included in the telling of this story.

The killer and the brother that helped him get rid of the bodies were both convicted felons: men known to be criminals. The killer was the next door neighbor of the couple, and had made a number of threats to the couple and had been harassing them for a couple of years. He had even specifically threatened to shoot them. This had forced the couple to even sue the killer, for all of his crazy harassment and threats.

So this was not some sort of happenstance situation that came out of the blue. Just the opposite: the killer had specifically told them that he was going to shoot them. And then he eventually went ahead and made good on his threat.

I think that the lesson to be learned here is that a person cannot rely on the courts and law enforcement to protect you. Especially if you live out on a such a remote rural road.

There are unfortunately some truly crazy criminals out loose in our society. And if you are unfortunate enough to encounter one like this monster John Reed, you really need to take extreme steps to protect yourself.

Former neighbor, now wanted by police, threatened to shoot missing Arlington couple, records say
We will have a conference call with the Snohomish County Prosecutor tomorrow afternoon to discuss whether we go after the death penalty or Life without possibility of parole. I withheld information that could have an affect on John Reeds plea and or trial. We have caught them monitoring family Face Book accounts and also trying to use the Freedom of Information act to gather information about our case. We are dealing with real Slimeballs here.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top