JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Tough crowd!

Don't mind owning up though.

I completely omitted the fact that I have a long barreled 870 Wingmaster, but not the greatest mobility wise, and 3+1. I'll ponder a replacement and another rifle

Since you already have a 870....Maybe get a replacement short barrel for it...
You already know the gun..and a barrel will be cheaper then a whole new gun.
Andy
My suggestion is to start with what you already have. You can easily swap an R890 to a shorter 18"-20" barrel and add a +3 or +4 mag-tube extension, then swap it back to a regulation bird-gun when you need to.

If you want a centerfire rifle, I think this is a way to go in WA state. I recently got one in .357 Mag/.38 Special. For one thing, it has a threaded barrel, which is pretty much illegal now on most rifles. This one gets by because it has a tubular magazine, instead of a removable magazine. Also has side loading capability. Got it through the Bi-Mart website, best price anywhere by several hundred dollars, free shipped to the Port Orchard store. In-store free transfer and took it home an hour later.

View attachment 1752804
Another reason that the threaded barrel on this rifle is not an evil feature is because the rifle is not semi-auto. As you pointed out, the tubular magazine would also be helpful for assault weapon testing on a semi-auto rifle because it can not be loaded while detached from the rifle.

The tubular mag does have relevance to the mag ban exemptions.

If you research the ballistics and energy of 357 magnum out of a 16 inch barrel, you will be mighty impressed. In my opinion, a 357 lever gun would be a fine home defense weapon. They are also more fun to practice with because you can reach out to 75 yards or more and they don't beat you up like a 12 gauge shotgun with buckshot does. If a Ruger PC Carbine is legal in Washington, that would also be fun to practice with and reasonably effective for home defense.
Long ago my "view" of the 9mm PCC changed a LOT when I saw what they are capable of out of 16" tubes. With good ammo you get 357 hand gun performance in a package that's cheap and easy to shoot. Wife will not even fire either of our 12G shotguns even one round. She does love the Ruger 9mm rifle though. So its like having 33 rounds of .357 on tap. Yes in WA we can still buy the Ruger rifles as long as we order the non threaded version. They make a couple versions of it like this that can still be had here. Even with 10 round mags they make a dandy home gun.
For those who want a lever? the .357 really shines here too. Simple to roll your own ammo for them to make it cheaper and out of a 16" tube devastating ballistics that anyone can manage easy.

I would build my own AR and shut up about it. Clearly your constitutional rights are being pooped on, and IMO, it is your job to not follow illegal BS some A-hole made up as a law.

Or just go with the flow and play it safe and buy a lever action.

I would build my own AR and shut up about it. Clearly your constitutional rights are being pooped on, and IMO, it is your job to not follow illegal BS some A-hole made up as a law.

Or just go with the flow and play it safe and buy a lever action.
While many of these laws are really crap anyone who makes the choice to ignore them has to understand they are making adult choices that can come with adult consequences. "Made up law" is a nice way to put it but, if they get jammed up some black robe will show them the penalty is not made up, it is very real and painful. Again though adults get to make adult choices. :s0092:

Sorry. Not sorry for a lot of people. Sort of the Chicken Little affect. It's been decades since something happened that hit all Americans, but even something like 9/11 didn't hit the vast majority in a personal way like WWI or WW2.

It's hard to sell most Americans to prepare for an event that can come your way when nothing ever does. They've gone from a $200k house to a $600k and toys everywhere. What could go wrong?

It's funny, now some want access to a $500 AR and with world conditions become more clear, they can't get what they thought was silly and unnecessary at one point. Chances are they (me included) will never need one in anger but there are a lot of unfortunate people who could have.

Sorry. Not sorry for a lot of people. Sort of the Chicken Little affect. It's been decades since something happened that hit all Americans, but even something like 9/11 didn't hit the vast majority in a personal way like WWI or WW2.

It's hard to sell most Americans to prepare for an event that can come your way when nothing ever does. They've gone from a $200k house to a $600k and toys everywhere. What could go wrong?

It's funny, now some want access to a $500 AR and with world conditions become more clear, they can't get what they thought was silly and unnecessary at one point. Chances are they (me included) will never need one in anger but there are a lot of unfortunate people who could have.
Past performance is no indication of future returns. Part of preparation is recognizing that the prevailing conditions today are not normal for most of human history. We think of them as "normal" because these conditions have prevailed for most of our cultural memory, but all it takes is one act of history for these conditions to collapse and suddenly we have a Bosnia or Rwanda scenario on our hands tomorrow. Than everyone will want to have some form of protection at hand. Better to have and not need than to need an not have, if things still are "normal" tomorrow then having those tools is not going to be any worse than not having them.

Since the OD missed the boat with the new WA ban but still wants an AR15'ish type HD firearm, I can't see any option OTHER than a Ruger Mini-14 Ranch that would come anywhere close to the capability of an AR.

All things considered, they're not too expensive at $950..and they'll ship to WA as long as mag is <=10

Last Edited:
Since the OD missed the boat with the new WA ban but still wants an AR15'ish type HD firearm, I can't see any option OTHER than a Ruger Mini-14 Ranch that would come anywhere close to the capability of an AR.

All things considered, they're not too expensive at $950..and they'll ship to WA as long as mag is under 10.
On this journey I see that I can get an 18" barrel for my 870 Wingmaster.

I'm pretty set on a lever action 357mag. I'm traveling in GA and SC and was looking forward to looking at a Rossi in a Pametto store I found over the phone down here. Then I find out…… nope, they won't sell to a WA Resident in the store. ???

On this journey I see that I can get an 18" barrel for my 870 Wingmaster.

I'm pretty set on a lever action 357mag. I'm traveling in GA and SC and was looking forward to looking at a Rossi in a Pametto store I found over the phone down here. Then I find out…… nope, they won't sell to a WA Resident in the store. ???
That is correct, because as a WA resident, when you return home to WA state with that item, you would be "importing" that firearm and/or parts into WA state, which is against the new state law to which we are referring. That law which is preventing you from acquiring a certain class of firearm and/or its parts was very specific about the words, "import", "importing", and "importation." We had that same language attached first to the "large-capacity" (whatever that is... :rolleyes: ) mag ban that preceded the semi-automatic rifle ban in the previous legislative session in 2022.

Also, these laws (the mag ban and the S/A rifle ban) also have the (Leftist) "benefit" of precluding sales of the these articles within the state (so the law goes beyond "importing", too). Now you see how this boolscheet works?

Last Edited:
Past performance is no indication of future returns. Part of preparation is recognizing that the prevailing conditions today are not normal for most of human history. We think of them as "normal" because these conditions have prevailed for most of our cultural memory, but all it takes is one act of history for these conditions to collapse and suddenly we have a Bosnia or Rwanda scenario on our hands tomorrow. Than everyone will want to have some form of protection at hand. Better to have and not need than to need an not have, if things still are "normal" tomorrow then having those tools is not going to be any worse than not having them.
Yes but a majority of the population is seemingly unable to comprehend this until its too late

All things considered, they're not too expensive at $950..and they'll ship to WA as long as mag is under 10.
Was kind of surprised the Mini missed the cut off. Have not shot one in a LONG time but keep hearing they have finally gotten to where they no longer make patterns instead of groups. Back when they were half the cost of an AR I did play with several of them and did like them. The horrible accuracy and flinging brass into low orbit really made them hard to love. Always did like the look of them and with good mags they just worked.

That is correct, because as a WA resident, when you return home to WA state with that item, you would be "importing" that firearm and/or parts into WA state, which is against the new state law to which we are referring. That law which is preventing you from acquiring a certain class of firearm and/or its parts was very specific about the words, "import", "importing", and "importation." We had that same language attached first to the "large-capacity" (whatever that is... :rolleyes: ) mag ban that preceded the semi-automatic rifle ban in the previous legislative session in 2022.

Also, these laws (the mag ban and the S/A rifle ban) also have the (Leftist) "benefit" of precluding sales of the these articles within the state (so the law goes beyond "importing", too). Now you see how this boolscheet works?
I would have to look this up, but I don't know of such a restriction for a lever action rifle.

Was kind of surprised the Mini missed the cut off. Have not shot one in a LONG time but keep hearing they have finally gotten to where they no longer make patterns instead of groups. Back when they were half the cost of an AR I did play with several of them and did like them. The horrible accuracy and flinging brass into low orbit really made them hard to love. Always did like the look of them and with good mags they just worked.
Couldn't agree more with everything you said. I too was surprised that the Mini missed the cut. A few years back, when I bought my AR, I originally went into the LGS to buy a Mini. I had shot them before as a kid and knew I definitely wanted a 223 platform, but wasn't real studied on the AR. After 1) finding out how much more $$ they were and 2) the absolute superiority in just about every way the AR had over it, I bought the AR. Now it's my favorite platform.

Still, if the AR weren't available, for whatever reason, the Mini would have been a no brainer.

Although the Ruger Mini 14 is not on the banned list, I believe it will be difficult to find a store or FFL that would take a chance on selling or transferring it.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top