JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
yes, you still have to have a hunting license but no tags... anyone can correct me if i'm wrong, but i was told you still need a hunting license even to hunt coyotes, in Oregon at least? also no limit on the amount of hogs or the way you hunt them. Odfw Invasive Species Unit will even give you plans on how to construct a funnel trap and tell you how to bait them in.. If i remember correctly they said you need some sort of water for them to drink inside the trap or the hogs will die in less than a day and there goes your meat spoiled...

In response to your question about licensing for yotes and other non-game animals in Oregon here goes according to the "Reg";
All Hunters 14 years of age and older, who will be hunting predators on public land, and western gray squirrels, unprotected mammals, and unprotected birds on public or privte land MUST (i added the bold) have a valid hunting license. No tags are required.

went snooping around last weekend, madras,ashwood,antelope areas. no hogs to report. didnt get to ride quads in grassland n.e. of madras, one of last sightings, grasslands closed to atvs open for licensed vehicles. latest sighting was on haycreek ranch new years eve, a young fellow ive known since he was a baby said he saw 8/10 hogs in a pack. two reds and eight blacks. only had a 22 rifle. up past the trout pond on haycreek ranch. they are pretty picky about who hunts on their land, have some kind of lease agreement with an outfit out of prineville for all hunting/fishing including predator/invasive species. anyway haycreek ranch has who knows how many sheep, now is lambing season, lots and lots of lambs on the ground, lots of predators at the ready, strangley mostly airborne, i havent seen so many eagles since a trip to jueanu ak a few years ago. at spawning season. must have been two dozen golden eagles and almost a dosen bald eagles within a cuople of miles of the lambing grounds, undoubtedly feasting on newborn lambs. quite impressive

Thanks for the scouting report. I live up and over in Northern Oregon and am having a hard time gettin away to scout out the pigs in the poke. I have cruised that area several months ago for squirrels and such.
I've lived in AK for over 35yrs and the bald eagles are like the crows here. Especially when the salmon are spawned out. Actually there are lots more eagles than crows now that i think about it.
Thanks again for sharing

Sorry for taking so long for the update.
While i was out driving around i only saw some signs (wallows, ruttings, telephone poles with tuffs of hair, ie) but no pigs. I did show up late do to uncontrollable events (wife)........

I was watching a show on swine hunting in Lousiana and it looked pretty intense. They use pit bulls as hunting dogs and pretty much let them do all the work. I wish we had good swine hunting like that in OR but we don't... too bad. But if I see one out in the brush I'll be the first to let you guys know

Trying to get a trip together this upcoming week with a few friends to go out to Dayville and hunt some hog, was told by our buddy (the rancher) that there are quite a bit out in that area, and it should be easy to obtain permission to hunt on the other private lands from the fellow ranchers/farmers. If my cut-gear comes in for the dogs in time for them to wear it i'll use them, if not we are planning on runnin' an gunnin', hopefully with an lean towards the gunnin' part.

I watched a Nat Geo program on Siberia recently and those hogs (huge btw) thrived rooting under the deep snow and ice to find food. Oregon, especially the west side should be a warm paradise in comparison. Any theories on why the American version which comes from European stock, admittedly with partially domesticated gene pool, seem so cold country adverse?

Hey Moonshiner, for a couple of days there i thought i'd be joining you all over there. I was trying to get my work schedule lined up so as to have a couple of days off. Then WHAMO the phone rang off the hook and worked poured in.
I would be very interested as to how ya'll did.
I cruized the Crooked Creek Grasslands last week and see only rabbits and yote callers.
I guess i just need to go out a little farther.
Thanks for the reports.

Its good to see so many folks with the same interest. I will start posting my finds here . good luck to all you pig hunters out there and look forward to reading your posts.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top