JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"mouth of the umpqua" how far east of reedsport?

Just a thought..since the mouth of the river is most probably on the ocean...it would be west of Reedsport. If you are looking in Central Oregon try the Post area east of Prineville along the Crooked River drainage. Some USFS and BLM but a lot of private. A courteous request will probably get you onto most land.

hog.jpg

I saw a group (4-5?) wild hogs crossing the road out in Eastern Oregon last summer. I was on a motorcycle ride, heading south on 207 between Ruggs and Spray, had just come off of the mountain and coming down toward the valley... I came around a bend and saw them in the road. At first I thought someone's pigs had escaped, but then I saw they "didn't look quite right". Yep, definitely wild hogs! Gray in color, more hair that typical domestic pigs, and shaped slightly different. They were FASSSST! They were gone off the road and down into the brushy ravine toward the creek/wallow in a flash!

I've lurked watching this thread ever since and have contemplated going back out to that area for a little hog hunting. Hmmmmmm.

well january is here and in the coming months the hogs should be busy, trying to get busy, not to mention their ruttings will be easier to find too. So i am thinking the end of this month or the middle of next month i might go do some scouting.

I'm up to go anytime!!! still have not gotten into cherry ave.. 45/70 have you heard anything? Did talk to a friend in the forestry dept and he said down around the mouth of the umpqua is the best place... antelope is just as good but is alot of private land... but i dont mind knockin on ranchers doors. Just a quick question?? i've seen feral goats in the rocky crags in the gorge.. are those legal to hunt?

You sure those feral goats aren't bighorn sheep? These are all bighorns. The ones that look like goats are ewes.

Ramsm.jpg
Ewesm.jpg
RamHeadsm.jpg
EweHeadsm.jpg

My old Boss was the head of Oregon Agriculture department and wrote several papers on the subject of invasive species and HOGS especially. I asked him where they were. PRIVATELY he said they are in SOUTHWEST OREGON and it was difficult to even try to count them much less get permission to hunt them. I would know, as I did some Plant surveys down there.

PUBLICLY: Crooked River National Grassland, Madras, OR is where they are in the greatest numbers on PUBLIC LAND. They are very nocturnal and very wary of peoples. He didn't get more specific that that but for a greenie, he was all for the hunting and killing of them.

Just what the map above shows!

Last Edited:
No, the goats i saw were definitely not bighorns. One was mostly white with brown markings, one was mostly black with some brown markings, and the other was two different colors of brown. their horns were similar to a female bighorn. they were ugly goats, weird bodies, weird headshapes, kinda skinny faces not like a bighorn.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top