JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I like to carry a little protection while hiking with the family. Especially since that day I found fresh cougar tracks and droppings. I don't have my CCW yet so when I do carry, it's Open. I haven't been able to find any information online about whether certain areas (Columbia River Gorge Scenic areas) prohibit firearms or not. If we go hiking I usually just look at the trailhead sign and go from there.

Does anyone have any opinions or experiences with something like this? Or maybe know whether or not I'm breaking any laws by carrying open on public forestry lands?

I'm assuming since open carry is legal, I should be ok. But we all know what happens when someone assumes!

Thanks!

I was told that in National Parks any firearm is illegal and that open cary is ok on Oregon state lands.

Please do not take this as fact, only what I remember from my CC class.

I am pretty sure that national parks follow the laws of the state they are located in. For example, if you are going to a national part in Oregon, it would be legal to OC since OC is legal in Oregon. If you are going to a national park in California, OC would be illegal because OC is illegal in California.

In either case, I am pretty sure that it is illegal to discharge a firearm in a national park. But personally, I would rather be in trouble for shooting my gun then have me or my family be hurt or killed.

I personally would not open carry in a NP. . People from all over the country visit the National parks, so I'd rather not have some Bozo from NYC (or similar) seeing me carrying a gun and start screaming for the police.

But Columbia River Gorge National Scenic area is NOT a NP.

Here are some specifics for the Gorge:
http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/crgnsa/notices/?cid=STELPRDB5352810

Talks about prohibitions against DISCHARGING a firearm, but I don't see any about possessing. And even then, the prohibitions are confined to specific areas.

Also note. . . No dancing naked by the boat launches!!!

where is good mountain to take kids to hike outside of salem?

Depends on age and ability. I like the Silver Creek falls loop for cub scounts. For a challenging hike for older kids do the hike into Jefferson park. Either from the north which is shorter but steeper or from the long climbs up from the South. Although it may be a little early for those real mountain hikes. I don't know if the trail around three fingered Jack is open yet, but I've done a late June slog around it. Wasn't smart. :)

where is good mountain to take kids to hike outside of salem?
Closest I know of besides Silver falls is Shelburn falls trailhead( mostly gated road) , which is just 1.5 mi. north of Mehama on fern ridge rd.,and Tom Rock, High Rock and Monument peak trails, which are south of Mill City and Gates( partly road from Mill City up to Tom Rock, and then trail on to the other peaks).
You will need either a smartphone to utilize the google earth positioning, or a handheld GPS..cannot be sure as to the current condition of the trails. I would leave that 10mm and take something with more stopping power in this cougar country.And yes, you need a CHL...people get nervous when they see open carry..need to stay unsuspected and undetected.

I can't imagine hiking with my IWB holster on... I'd wear an OWB with my shirt untucked like usual, if it prints or becomes exposed, so be it. I'm hiking in the great outdoors, not trying to deep conceal in a mall or something.

I'm not too concerned with nervous people, that's their problem.

I recall that reading an article that researched the effectiveness of Bear Spray in encounters. That report indicated that Bear Spray was no more than 50 % effective based on Alaska encounters. I did not read the entire article in ADN; but my memory is usually pretty good for articles that I recall. Hostiel bear encounters in Oregon are extremely rare in bear to person attacks, but bear into campsite are much more common because city folks leave their food unattended in remote areas. These folks should really stay home and continue to shop for their designer cloths at REI. This is the same crowd that feed the Coyotes in the city. Tualitin Valley Recreation folks do not want the community to be afraid of Coyotes; Go figure! As we all know coyotes enjoy tasty cats, family pets and an occassional baby and young women that have their monthly cycle while hiking.

ODF Recreation Area Rules

So, are these laws or just adopted rules? I've still yet to go out and get my CHL (which would make things easier) so I'm still open carrying when we hike into "less traveled" areas.

for instance, last week we went up onto the trails around Multnomah falls. It's way crowded, tons of people. Didn't think I needed to carry there. Today we were in the Tillamook forest. We saw 2 people in 4 hours. One dude was creepy as hell looking too. He saw my handgun, nodded and moved on.

If these are just rules, then they aren't lawful. If they're laws, then that's different. I'd prefer not to get any fines for carrying. Granted, the "rule" says LOADED firearms so I could just unload it. But if you startle an animal (unlikely) or find a weirdo, I'd hate to ask it/him to hold on while I load my pistol. know what I mean?

ODF Recreation Area Rules

So, are these laws or just adopted rules? I've still yet to go out and get my CHL (which would make things easier) so I'm still open carrying when we hike into "less traveled" areas.

for instance, last week we went up onto the trails around Multnomah falls. It's way crowded, tons of people. Didn't think I needed to carry there. Today we were in the Tillamook forest. We saw 2 people in 4 hours. One dude was creepy as hell looking too. He saw my handgun, nodded and moved on.

If these are just rules, then they aren't lawful. If they're laws, then that's different. I'd prefer not to get any fines for carrying. Granted, the "rule" says LOADED firearms so I could just unload it. But if you startle an animal (unlikely) or find a weirdo, I'd hate to ask it/him to hold on while I load my pistol. know what I mean?

I'm guessing most places aren't even designated recreation areas. Shooting is allowed in the forest. I'd also think the state forestry or parks department can't regulate the carry of firearms due to state preemption.

On the Washington State side you can carry open or concealed without a permit when doing outdoor recreation. This includes federal land and National Parks as long as you do not enter a building where a federal employee would normally occupy. In the National Park it is illegal to shoot but not illegal to protect yourself with a firearm if the need arises. This has already been shown in Alaska.
A lot of Park trailhead signs have not been updated to reflect changes in the law.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top