JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have an old scoped .22 Powerline 822 by Daisy with a rifled barrel that still drops critters easily from 20-25 yards. I have hit targets way beyond that but I like to keep it in the mid 20's if it's live. I think they now market the product as a Daisy SG22.

Last Edited:
I picked up one of the Chinese AK/SKS looking jobs, springer with the lever on the right with the folding stock someone had put a Williams rear aperture sight on for $40 at the Rickreal show for $40. With the right pellets it holds an INCH at 25 yards!!! kids will be enjoying in the backyard soon.

Doc, your example is correct. However, one can purchase a .177 caliber air gun that will fire a pellet at over 1200 fps. This can be acheived by even the lower end air rifles. But the pellet that travels this fast as tested and advertised by the firearm manufacture is a PBA pellet. It has a mass of 5-7g. My quote that obviously needed more backup to support it was simply implying to go with a larger
.22 caliber pellet of larger mass(say 16-20g) at 900 fps.
This is the preferred means to hunt and kill logically, as opposed to wound which would be considered inhumane. Taking into consideration that the shooter has the correct common sense to know what game he is capable of adequetly taking with his caliber and knock down power.

All the BS aside, I enjoy shooting airguns and should spend more time shooting them than arguing with others on a forum.
Dave

how does speed not matter, I'm missing something here?
We get hit by gamma rays and don't even know it, if I drop a brick on your foot it will hurt. The gamma ray is traveling about 959,335,856 FPS, the brick not so fast :)

Is anyone here, anyone ?

We get hit by gamma rays and don't even know it, if I drop a brick on your foot it will hurt. The gamma ray is traveling about 959,335,856 FPS, the brick not so fast :)

Is anyone here, anyone ?

Gamma rays have no mass. 0 times anything is still zero => no energy.

This is starting to sound an awful lot like a Taylor Knockdown argument... :rolleyes:

For what it's worth...

7 grain pellet energy at the muzzle for various fps:

300fps = 1 ft lb
500fps = 3 ft lb
800fps = 9 ft lb
1000fps = 15 ft lb
1200fps = 22 ft lb

So if you're wanting to pop squirrels or those pesky birds that keep leaving their "marks" everywhere, having a "high powered" air rifle is more "humane". :s0155:

You are better off to buy one of the quality more expensive air rifles than to buy a couple of the 1000fps units. I shoot the RWS Diana Mag 350. It shoots at 1250 or so and Sportsman runs these at $269 sometimes instead of the $349. Great open sights at 30yds. Good with the scope also. Buy the correct scope for the air rifle. Look at the RWS scope. go to youtube and search crow hunting air rifle and watch the videos sent in by the Russian guys that hunt in the city. That's what you want.

I thought one if the importers had some Russian springers for under $50.

I wish I could remember where I saw them.........

Was probably Copes. But they are gone.

RWS Diana are excellent rifles. They are side lever vs. break barrel.
I agree .22 is much better for hunting. I have hunted several critters, some much larger than rabbits, at 10-20yd. One shot, one kill.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews