Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Self Defense Pens on Airplanes?

Discussion in 'Knives & Other Discussion' started by unionguy, Jun 22, 2012.

1. unionguy

unionguy Portland Active Member

Does anyone know if you can carry-on the Self-Defense pens that are advertised to an airplane through TSA?
    thanks

2. PaulZ

PaulZ Oregon City Active Member

I had to google these having never heard of them. If you carry a "tactical" POS like what I saw through; I bet you have a 9 out of ten chance of the TSA owning it.
    For the love of Pete; why not make it look like a regular pen? Or are they just for tactical tools who carry those kind of tool?

3. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Just carry a quality mechanical pencil or better yet a drafting pencil.

4. RedneckRampage

RedneckRampage Newberg Well-Known Member

I've wondered too, but don't know. I carry on Surefires with Defender bezels.....

5. DBagnall

DBagnall SALEM Member

There is actually quite a large variety of "tactical pens". Its a trend that seems to be getting more popular. Some of them look absolutely ridiculous and others look like normal pens. Surefire makes a couple of models that look very much like real pens yet serve the purpose that tactical pens are advertised to perform. (ie. kubaton, impact tool, etc...) Pens

I think generally they are supposed to serve as "last ditch" weapons. Defensive Tactics training often covers the use of a pen as a tool/weapon if all else fails...

But I would state that if you must have one and are willing to pay the small fortune that a lot of these "tacticool" pens cost, then try to get one that is inconspicuous and doesn't look like a weapon. I would recommend Surefire, CRKT, or Tuff Writer, or just getting an inexpensive all metal Parker or Sheafer pen.

In regards to whether they can be taken on a plane or not, technically it is just a pen....

6. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

Alright, forget about all that fancy crap. I have always carried a Bic "click stick" for years, I can tell you that you can MESS a person up REAL BAD with a stab (or two) from one of those, plus they slide through security just fine... and if you lose it, go buy another for fiddy-cents. ;)

7. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

8. Bill Siegle

Bill Siegle Oregon Active Member

A year ago TSA was confiscating Tac pens in Las Vegas. I was attending a knife show there and a text was sent out by a guy who was leaving early. They were fine in checked bags but nogo for carry on. Just grab a regular Bic or Parker pen. They will work just fine :)

9. mistershipwreck

mistershipwreck Beretta City, Texas Member

I've read posts on other forums in the past claiming that they were being seized by the TSA

10. WillMunny

WillMunny NE Portland Active Member

Take your "Tactical Laptop". Laser from the mouse will blind 'em & a sideways chop with the keyboard to the larynx will drop 'em. Use the power cord as a garrote and you're golden. :rolleyes:

11. maybeso

maybeso Lynnwood, WA New Member

That sounds like about the time they were telling their employees what a "kubaton" was, and what to look for.

Simple rule: if it has crenellations, or a sharp point at one or both ends with the cap still on, you might lose it... So, as suggested already, take a cheapie, and have one less thing to worry about going through airport security.