JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My first weapon growing up in England was a .177 cal break barrel air rifle when I turned 14.
My dad still uses it to look after his garden and still has over 4000 of the original 10000 Eley wasp pellets we bought with the rifle. I probably shot 5000 of them before I left for college 17 years ago. My dad - the 1 shot 1 kill sniper :)

I'm looking to add an air rifle back into my collection. Something appeals about cheap projectiles and near silent plinking/hunting opportunities.
Especially on my 10 acre property where shooting might bother the neighbors - at least the amount of shooting I would want to do out there!

I have no experience or knowledge with PCP rifles. Can soeone school me on why I should or shouldn't have one?

There are a lot to compare on this market. I think I've decided on .22 for better knock down power for the small vermin on my property.

I've been looking at the RWS Diana 350 magnum, Air Arms TX200, various Gamo rifles.

I'm not opposed to a break barrel, but understand that I lose some accuracy with one of those.

I'm not worried about velocity numbers - Another reason for the .22 over .177 - I've read that diabolo pellets don't do well going supersonic and back to subsonic.

I have a feeling that once I start out with a small caliber rifle it may progress into something of a whole new collection.

We need to chat then. I've done extensive research on air rifles for use in wilderness survival and have some suggestions. Email me if you'd like. I may also have a new RWS I may part with. Maybe?

I'm thinking of having a cheap one I keep in the truck - maybe even one of those dual caliber Beeman break barrels. That and a couple tins of pellets should be good for a few rabbits in a survival situation.

Part of our SHTF/disaster plan is to meet out at our 10 acre property 20 miles out of town. In that situation I know I could be eating turkey 3 meals a day! There is a flock of about 40 out there every time I go out to work on the pole barn project.

A decent RWS may be nice to have too. Let me know what you have.

I have the Beeman RS1 dual caliber rifle combo. it comes with a .177 and a .22 barrel. It has a 4x32 scope and a nice carry case. has a wood stock and is very accurate. shoots pellets at 1000fps. great gun for the money.:s0155:

I saw that in Walmart for like $125 and was wondering about the quality.
There's also an RS2 dual caliber set available for like $50 more.

You would be much happier with a RWS. The level of quality is far greater then the increase in price. A poorly built air rifle will give you nothing but problems. Have you checked out airgunadvice.net ? The guy that runs it is from the Northwest.

I had the Beeman dual caliber air rifle combo. Great idea. Lousy accuracy. Both barrels shot high and to the right. .177 barrel was 6" right and almost that higher than point of aim.
Beeman did make good on it, though. They took it back and I got the .22 break barrel--forgot the model #, its at our new home-to-be, 4,000 miles from here.
Beeman rep was honest about the dual barrel/break barrel design's lack of accuracy. That's the way it is. It's an entry level rifle, prolly at it's best teaching kids to shoot.
The new one seems to be very accurate, the little I've shot it so far. Beeman reps say shoot several hundred rounds thru it to get it's accuracy up to par.
Never quite got the reasoning; do they want a little lead build-up in the barrel??
Buzz

I also grew up shooting an RWS .177 break barrel. A few years ago I decided I that I wanted another air gun and after looking at several I finally decided to go all out and get a Beeman RX2 with the gas piston in .22 cal. It's an excellent rifle and it's accuracy is superb. With RWS Meisterkugeln pellets I can make 5 shots into one ragged hole in a 10 meter target with open sites. It's also just a beautiful gun with a really nice laminated stock.

Drawbacks are that it is a big gun that's fairly heavy and cocking is pretty considerable - so it wouldn't make a good gun for kids. It's also pretty expensive. You could buy a nice Remington 700 for about the same price :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top