JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hey, a 6.5 Creedmoor is not 6.5 mm o_O

Say all, did you know that a 6.5 Creedmoor is really 6.7mm. Most do not know this.

The Creedmoor bullet by Hornady measures .264 that's 6.7 mm

6.5 mm is .2559 diameter not .264

The general understanding seams to be,that many manufactures through history have made ammo that is not really what they say, but this is pretty big by .008.
In my opinion that is not even close!

I think they should have called this the 6.7 Creedmoor. I love my Creedmoor, but it is not 6.5 MM

Larry243

You can further confuse it by forgetting whether you measure bore diameter like an American or some pinko commie bastid from Europe. In the US, we measure in the groove. Thats why 6.5 in the US is actually .264. The .256 Newton was a 6.5 as well using .264 bullet, but was designated a .256 by being measured from the lands.

So, 7.62x39 may be .311 here measured in the groove, but measured from the lands it will probably be .308.

You can further confuse it by forgetting whether you measure bore diameter like an American or some pinko commie bastid from Europe. In the US, we measure in the groove. Thats why 6.5 in the US is actually .264. The .256 Newton was a 6.5 as well using .264 bullet, but was designated a .256 by being measured from the lands.

So, 7.62x39 may be .311 here measured in the groove, but measured from the lands it will probably be .308.

The metric to SAE conversion is irrelevant. The bullet still fits the bore .... 3.141 x 6.5 = .2559
Gun manufacturing has screwed things up for a LONG TIME... a Spade should be a Spade. We would not like it if we found out our truck engine was 50 cubic/inches smaller.

Most of the mis-numbering is to avoid confusion. Like a .243 Winchester vs .244 Remington. .220 Swift vs .22-250 Remington vs .223 Remington.

What gets neat is when cartridges are renamed. .280 Remington becomes the 7mm Remington Express and then renamed again as the .280 Remington. Why not call it a .284 Remington? Maybe some genius would buy a .284 Winchester cartridge to use in their .284 Remington rifle.

The 7x57 Mauser is also the 7mm Rigby. The 30-06 is also the 7.62x63.

Confusion causes all sorts of problems in the return isle. Remington alone has the 7mm-08, 7mm Express, 7mm SAUM, 7mm Rem Mag, 7mm STW, 7mm Ultra Mag. Too bad ammo isn't refundable.

It never ends....

I think you should call a Spade a Spade! :eek: You don't call a spoon a fork!

Calling a spoon a fork is a COMPLETE mistake and misunderstanding of what each utensil is.

Calling a bullet a 6.5 instead of 6.7, or .30 caliber instead of .308 is just rounding to a common number. And at the end of the day is meaningless.

Go to your favorite LGS and ask them for some 6.7 CM ammo. See what they say....

The metric to SAE conversion is irrelevant. The bullet still fits the bore .... 3.141 x 6.5 = .2559
Gun manufacturing has screwed things up for a LONG TIME... a Spade should be a Spade. We would not like it if we found out our truck engine was 50 cubic/inches smaller.

But if youre cataloging parts, you have to sometimes differentiate somehow. And you'll probably not Ackley Improve your 7mm-08 engine in a .280 Remington truck.

Last Edited:
Call a spade a spade, country mice don't like city rats. Larry, most of us here get it after the first post.....

By the origin of this saying, originating from the Greeks, you would be fine in saying this.

In the US, the phrase is often avoided due to black people being referred to as spades.

Like I was saying, we measure bore diameter different here.

Well, I guess some people just have to always play the race card and be offended when they want! That's what is wrong with America today. I guess calling a Diamond a Diamond should refer to Indians!
I say get over it!

Most of the mis-numbering is to avoid confusion. Like a .243 Winchester vs .244 Remington. .220 Swift vs .22-250 Remington vs .223 Remington.

What gets neat is when cartridges are renamed. .280 Remington becomes the 7mm Remington Express and then renamed again as the .280 Remington. Why not call it a .284 Remington? Maybe some genius would buy a .284 Winchester cartridge to use in their .284 Remington rifle.

The 7x57 Mauser is also the 7mm Rigby. The 30-06 is also the 7.62x63.

Confusion causes all sorts of problems in the return isle. Remington alone has the 7mm-08, 7mm Express, 7mm SAUM, 7mm Rem Mag, 7mm STW, 7mm Ultra Mag. Too bad ammo isn't refundable.

It never ends....

What a great answer!

Car manufacturers have been doing this for YEARS! Chevy's 2.2 Ecotec is 2198 CC. 50 Cubic inches is nowhere near a few hundredths of an inch.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top