JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
this article pretty much sums up my thoughts on the 6.5 craze, if I felt the need to shoot a 6.5 "which I don't" I would shoot the .264 win mag hands down. change my mind.

this article pretty much sums up my thoughts on the 6.5 craze, if I felt the need to shoot a 6.5 "which I don't" I would shoot the .264 win mag hands down. change my mind.
1) They are both the same caliber. Should have read Cartridge Battle.
2) And a poor one at that. Should have been 264WM vs. 26 Nosler (or similar)
3) You can ream 264WM to 26 Nosler, so there's that.

;)

I have to say that article is a lot better and more honest than many others I've seen.
I don't have a horse in this race and would be in favor of the 264, but those ammo prices! Ouch! Reminds me of buying factory ammo for 375 Ruger and 500 S&W.

point is that the .264 win mag has been out there for 50 years outgunning the bulk of the new cartridges and running just behind the hottest of the newest offerings. there is a stainless super grade model 70 on Gunbroker tugging hard on my wallet, beautiful rifle.

point is that the .264 win mag has been out there for 50 years outgunning the bulk of the new cartridges and running just behind the hottest of the newest offerings. there is a stainless super grade model 70 on Gunbroker tugging hard on my wallet, beautiful rifle.
260 Rem has been around a long time too. That's probably a better comparison to the 6.5 CM.

Yeah Im looking at a W70 Super Grade/AAA French walnut on Armslist for 1600..

I actually enjoy reading themeateater.com articles, the modern equivalent of reading hunting magazines I grew up with.
I don't really care about caliber wars other than mildly entertaining to discuss at times... I did think this article was actually balanced and more honest, certainly not sponsored by an ammo maker to tip the bias here anyways. IMO.

or we could go all-in with a 6.5-300 wthby
The King of overbores ^^^

The 6.5 sweet spot might be 6.5 PRC or 6.5 RM although many are happy launching slow moving 6.5 pills with a Grendel.

Case capacities :
A comparison of case capacities is a good starting point for finding out. When filled to the brim, gross water capacity of the 6.5 PRC averaged 67.6 grains. Moving down to smaller capacities, we have 6.5 Creedmoor and 6.5-284 cases made by Hornady at 53.4 grains and 64.3 grains respectively. Moving up to a couple with bigger capacities, we have the 6.5 Remington Magnum at 70.2 grains and the .264 Winchester Magnum at 84.1 grains. Capacities for the 26 Nosler and 6.5-300 Weatherby Magnum are 98.2 and 96.7 grains respectively.

As you can see, the 6.5 PRC holds just over 3 grains more powder than the 6.5-284 and just under 3 grains less than the 6.5 Remington Magnum.

Yeah, you would think that, but it is a total clusterflock..I will need to have it redone this year, its worse now then before the surgery, some about my bone not healing right with the ti implants blah blah blah friggen VA, lololol...good times.
sorry to hear that, I had both mine done the same day. had me down for a while but back up and considerably better than before. hope things go better this next time.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top