JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Once again TLDR warning so move along if you don't give two cold s**ts

.308 mostly, but that's what I have the most experience with.
6.5 kind of because of the 6.5 x 55
The .308 in the Remington 788 (both versions) as well as multiple battle rattles.
The 6.5 in too many rifles to detail properly but included a Md 70 and a Surplus Swede/Mauser.

Actually neither.

The 35's. This includes every 38 Spl , .357 Mag pistol bullet. This includes every loading of the 35 Remington. This includes everything .357-.358".

Now pick your rifle brass. I'd stay with the short action and expand LC .308. Better yet there is a fair argument to Improve the chamber although it's another step. Then again, .35 Remington is already there if not available in stores near you.

There's a bump in the road, however. There are some pistol bullets that will not stay in one piece at extended velocities with a 1:9 -1:10 twist. The first that comes to mind are the 125gr Silvertips. There are some heavies, 250gr plus, that also won't stabilize.

Why?

Bullet selection. My favorites were the 125gr, truncated cone, semi-jacketed, flat point at some predictable node over 2,200 to 2,400. Much faster and you detonate small game at short ranges.
Most any 158gr loaded down to reasonable cast boolit velocities. Same for 200gr Lyman.
Whatever that 225gr was that Nosler put on the Whelan.
Share rifle and pistol caliber. Add a .357 lever gun or 35 Remington (141) and a revolver and you're covered. At that point if you have something like the Remington 141 do you really need a reach out and touch little things far away bolt gun?
At this point .358 bullet selection just might be second only to .308 and possibly greater.
.35/.308 AR10. What a novel concept. You know it's been done. :) Think of all the rail space you'd have to clown it up! Or not and stay high speed low drag. Consider barrel weight/length carefully here. 16" is no better an answer than 24" so use your head and get the result you want.

Why not?

Because you asked 6.5 or .308.
Expanding .308 is not a one operation deal and should include an anneal step and results in a somewhat thinner neck.
Because you don't see the convenience in having the same rifle and pistol bullet diameters.
Because you have no interest in detonating pests at close range with pistol bullets traveling 1,000 ft/sec faster than they were designed for.
Because you don't agree with a rifle in a caliber that allows you to go between a 125 varmint round and 250gr bear poison in seconds.
Because you have no need to share rifle and pistol caliber.
Because you don't see the utility of having a 250gr soft point to distract a bear.
Yes, I said distract. I've had to convince a bear and myself that the bear was indeed dead. The trouble is the bear figured this out some time after I did. The bear never got within 30 yards, but he knew where I was and was headed in my direction. I don't think multiple 6.5's could have been a viable talking point. I'm not sure a .308 mono/solid would have been convincing. I am sure that of the 4 hits, two 250gr 35 round nose were placed well enough to be a convincing argument and the third ended it.

Sights

I'd use a LPVO and have. It's one of the many 4X prism scopes. Works well. ACOG, sure why not. I just don't see the need here for big tube big mag FFP clown scope. Only reason I'd use an optic now is my eyes. Up to the last few years I'd have been happy with micro click diopter irons.

So TLDR from some greybeard that likely knows nothing or something to think about. It's up to you I didn't force anyone to read it.

Note, I answered this for a friend last week, so it was on my mind. I left it on the 'hide and I'll get smoked for it for sure. I'll probably leave it on THR as well since I haven't posted there in a year or so. Thought I'd share.

GREYBEARD??????

Ummm, consider yourself having been the recipient of more than a few choice words.

I din't GAF what you were blabbing about until I got to that part.

:s0066:
:s0012:

The correct answer to the choice is, of course, both.

Have a nice day.

Based on everything you said and the intended purpose of NOT being for distance shots and to catch all PNW game...........

I'd say neither. Because neither is really designed for what you're looking for. Now a lever .30-30 with a LVPO or even a .45-70 although you won't have much left after shooting "small game" would be about right. You mentioned handgun cartridges as well........ .44 Mag in a lever and a revolver would do great for shorter distances.

You could also go the shotgun route, with a mix of rifled slugs and shot and a LVPO. Lots of options. :)

To me a "mountain rifle" is more for larger critters/predators whereas a varmint rifle is just that. You can achieve both with the 6.5 or the .308 but they're both designed for longer distance. Either way, sounds like a fun choice. Keep us posted on your decision.

6.5 Grendel because 308&6.5 creedmoor are far too heavy. And if you are shooting at 300+ yards then you're doing it wrong anyway…

If someone believes that they have or need to shoot past 300 yards then obviously they have it all figured out and it doesn't matter what anyone else says because they are not going to take advice or listen anyway. To which I say why ask the question

Last Edited:
Pick a cartridge and learn it. Almost every one you select would be more than adequate.

If I didn't already own a rifle I'd pick the 7mm-08 (assuming the need for a short action lighter weight rifle I'd want to pack up and down steep slopes) and use it for everything up to and including elk. After a few hundred yards it outperforms the 308 and prior to that distance both are more than adequate killers.

Skill always trumps equipment in almost everything we do. Don't overthink equipment, just use the snot out of it until you are as good as it is.

I think we need a header for threads. Like "build thread" but instead it reads, "help me pick another gun".

6.5X55 Swede, been killing everything since Jesus was a private, might not be the flashiest or newest, but it's well proven across the board!
A Nice light Ruger M-77 with 20" barrel and irons combined with your optic of choice in this caliber would be about perfect!
Others to consider, the 7X57 Mauser, or 7mm/08 are also damn near perfect, and the .308 Winchester, proven beyond all doubt!

So.... Are we talking rifles for pistols here? Because this starts out asking about .308 vs 6.5 but quickly turns into
.35 doohickeys and "greybeard"

I'm a little lost in the weeds on this one so I'm just gonna go camp .308 for versatility sake

Responding strictly to the title and not the novel;
Retiring my .270 after 45 years, then a couple years with a 243, I ended up with a Tikka 6.5 X 55 and Leupold 4.5 -14, both of which I highly recommend. Much variety of fodder for handloading available too.
Though I'm quite partial of the 25-06, albeit never hunted with mine, my friend in Wallowa gives it two thumbs up for deer and elk.

I'm not ashamed to admit that I am confused.

Oh thank goodness I thought maybe it was just me.

:D

My T-shirt: "I have Chemo-brain. What's your excuse?"

So.... Are we talking rifles for pistols here? Because this starts out asking about .308 vs 6.5 but quickly turns into
.35 doohickeys and "greybeard"

I'm a little lost in the weeds on this one so I'm just gonna go camp .308 for versatility sake
Someone cut the cord and drop the mic!!

Lights OUT!!

Why not just go with a .358 Winchester...All the work has already been done for you? :s0092:

Link to a lot of reading on the .358 Winchester

Edit to add some data.. (load weights excluded on purpose)

uidata.png

I always made do with a .308 Winchester, and I enjoyed the type of hunting it afforded me.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads