JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Keeping a bound book or ledger and recording details about what you sold and to whom is always a good idea. You can buy a nice ledger at Office Depot for under ten bucks and save hours of digging for old receipts and sticky notes.

As many on here know, if I do not know you personally or at least by reputation I will ask for photo ID when I sell you a gun. Then I take a photo of your ID with my camera on my phone. If that is something you are not willing to let me do I say sorry and move on to the next buyer. I have only had to do that once.

As a victim of identity theft, I do not allow people to take photos, photocopies, or copy down most the information off of my ID's. They can have my address, my screen name, and my phone number. I also show my CCW permit. This should be more than sufficient to cover anyones butt, should the law come inquiring...

How are they suppose to get your address and name if you won't show them your license? I would never sell a gun to anyone who wouldn't show me their driver license. In that case I would let an FFL handle it.. There is too much risk of selling to a felon. A CCW can be faked, just like a driver license, that is why two forms of ID are best to be seen. I am sad to think that the identity theft plague and the risks of getting busted selling a felon a gun can put an end to private gun transactions. This is something I am worried about. I mean you can even get busted for selling some alcohol if you haven't looked at their driver license. What can you expect if you get busted for selling a gun to a felon, etc? Also, if I was buying a gun from someone in a FTF transaction, I would want to see their driver license all the same. I guess there are identity theft risks, but that is just the risk we take living in society today. Buying a stolen gun or selling to a felon also have risks.

I'll show you my ID, carry license and assure you that I am not a felon, but I will not play the paperwork game. If my cash and a handshake aren't good enough, clearly your item has too high of a price.

I'll show you my ID, carry license and assure you that I am not a felon, but I will not play the paperwork game. If my cash and a handshake aren't good enough, clearly your item has too high of a price.

You have a right to not purchase, and I have a right to not sell. I would not sell to someone in the case above and I am sure you would not buy from me and would buy from someone else. Has nothing to do with the proverbial price, just personal choice in how we do business.

why change your method? having a bill of sale would just involve you further in crap you don't want to be involved in. as it is, it ended with a phone call. i'd rather keep it that way.

respectfully, why would the bill of sale involve him in further crap? I am always trying to learn this is my only reason for asking.

As a victim of identity theft, I do not allow people to take photos, photocopies, or copy down most the information off of my ID's. They can have my address, my screen name, and my phone number. I also show my CCW permit. This should be more than sufficient to cover anyones butt, should the law come inquiring...

I hate to break it to you...everything on your DL is public record. You are not protecting yourself at all. You are just making yourself seem suspicious.

You have a right to not purchase, and I have a right to not sell. I would not sell to someone in the case above and I am sure you would not buy from me and would buy from someone else. Has nothing to do with the proverbial price, just personal choice in how we do business.

I would not sell in that situation either...unless I knew the person. If I know a person I feel it is an acceptable risk. If they are someone from the forum that has 3 posts and I have never met in person I am more cautious.

I hate to break it to you...everything on your DL is public record. You are not protecting yourself at all. You are just making yourself seem suspicious.

I'm happy to sign a bill of sale. On it, I will attest that I am not a felon. I will give my actual name, address, and phone number. I will sign a statement that says I'm not a felon. I will show you my CCW permit. Yes, all this information can be faked, but allowing you to photograph my ID does not make my license more or less likely to be valid. A signed statement (bill of sale) with my name, my address, and my phone number should offer the seller more than enough safety.

respectfully, why would the bill of sale involve him in further crap? I am always trying to learn this is my only reason for asking.

because then you become a material witness and are no longer at liberty to disassociate yourself from the case. if you don't know who you sold it to, thats what you tell them, and you're worthless to the investigation.

I'm happy to sign a bill of sale. On it, I will attest that I am not a felon. I will give my actual name, address, and phone number. I will sign a statement that says I'm not a felon. I will show you my CCW permit. Yes, all this information can be faked, but allowing you to photograph my ID does not make my license more or less likely to be valid. A signed statement (bill of sale) with my name, my address, and my phone number should offer the seller more than enough safety.

Agreed, I do not need a copy of anything just the information you stated.

bkb0000, I see your point, but I disagree that you would be worthless at that point to the investigation and would believe that they may want to look closer at you to see if you sold to a known fellon or not or contributed to the chain of helping the bad guy get a gun. A bill of sale is not needed, per law, but I feel better when I have one. Thats just me.

That's great...and it is your right...but if I did not know you at least by reputation I would decline to sell you the item.

All guns from the burglary in November 2008 were accounted for. All but 2 guns were returned to mike in may of 2009. The 2 that were not returned were a walther p22 and a ruger mark III 22/45. All firearms were accounted for 100% the atf did and amazing job in this case as far as accounting for every item and its location. When I bought the shop in September 2010 the atf took all his records (over 20 years of paperwork) to the out of business records center on the east coast. I am guessing they traced the original sale and didn't go farther in the paperwork to see another sale.

If the seller is that concerned about being culpable in a future crime maybe he/she should:

a) keep all guns he buys
b) destroy guns he doesnt want
c) trade them in at a reputable gun dealer and keep records
d) turn them in and get a Fred Meyer gift card.

That's great...and it is your right...but if I did not know you at least by reputation I would decline to sell you the item.

Fair enough. I expect it is a little suspicious, but the last identity theft issue I had to clear up occurred while I was in Central Alaska. It took me two days and a few hundred miles of driving to get cleared up. Even if it is just window dressing on my part by keeping these things private. Although I expect, also knowing you by reputation PP, I might be inclined to allow you to do it. But it would take me knowing someone, at least by reputation, to allow them to take a photo of my ID.

Fair enough. I expect it is a little suspicious, but the last identity theft issue I had to clear up occurred while I was in Central Alaska. It took me two days and a few hundred miles of driving to get cleared up. Even if it is just window dressing on my part by keeping these things private. Although I expect, also knowing you by reputation PP, I might be inclined to allow you to do it. But it would take me knowing someone, at least by reputation, to allow them to take a photo of my ID.
Cool, but in this case it would not be an issue since I already know you. You would be surprised at some of the things that have crawled out of this board to look at some of the guns I have had up for sale.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top