JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
When you look at the 550 on Dillion's web site it's kitted with all the options. I think that's probably what I want but not sure. I'll be loading for 5.56 and 7.62. This is my cart so far:

Dillon 550B setup for 5.56. $459.95
Bullet tray. $42.95
Caliber conversion (7.62). $46.95
Case bin. $25.95
Quick change. $108.95
Strong mount. $49.95
Tool holder w/tools. $29.95

What am I missing? Thanks

Last Edited:
Bullet tray requires a strong mount I believe, the loaded ammo tray doesn't. Do you have a scale, books, calipers, lube, bullet puller, primer flip dish (I forget what they're called) etc.? I'd get a tool head stand, seem frivolous (suppose you can build your own) but they are handy when you have a tool head w/powder measure all set-up. I have 4 seperate heads set-up for different calibers, the stands are nice. You've got the basics covered, if you need anything else you'll figure it out. I opted not to get the roller handle, the way I sit at my bench the ball works great for me. I think the 550b 'kit' comes w/large and small primer feeders, if not you'll need a large for the 7.62.

Good call on the 550 its a heck of a good machine.. So.. here is what I have and would suggest..

Strong Mount
Alum Roller handle
Tool Kit
Primer flipper tray
Parts kit
Bullet tray

I see in your cart you have 2 - tool heads.. So when you buy the press it will come with everything needed to reload that caliber.. aka tool head, dies, powder drop, and caliber conversion kit.. Here is the cart as I would suggest it for reloading 223 and 308.

RL550_1.JPG RL550_2.JPG RL550_3.JPG

You might check with Dillon on if it comes with a tool head, if so you can only get one more. You will also need a powder die for each head, a primer flip tray, there are a lot of them out there but the Dillon is all metal and really nice. They sell a "kit" that comes with the tool head,powder measure,powder die and toolhead stand for 108.95. It really is nice to be able to just switch the tool head and have powder and dies all set.

Is it the best pricing to order direct from Dillon? I'm about to accuire a XL650... I'm gettin' the itch!

The best service is to order directly from Dillon, Dillon keeps a tight hold on their prices, I think the dealers get around 50 - 80$ off prices but most of them pass a small small savings on to the customer.. there isnt alot of money to be made on the presses, If you use facebook,
Look up the groups -
The Dillon Reloaders Group
Dillon Reloaders - The Blue Group

I keep a track of both of those groups quite a bit.. and i have heard some unhappy stories from some people that bought from dealers and ran into issues.

The press comes with a tool bar and there's another in the Quick change kit. I'm using RCBS dies.

Well, you'll still want one extra toolhead... that way you don't have to R&R dies and readjust them. If you have the $$$ some of the other things are nice to have. But you'll want some extra de-primer pins for your dies.

What dies are you using?

That will most definitely get you going. As you can see in my photo I have found that the small amazon box'es make wonderful cartridge catch bins, especially for 223 and 308 since they are larger cartridges.

I would also suggest the roller handle, but that can be bought and installed later anyways.

Well, you'll still want one extra toolhead... that way you don't have to R&R dies and readjust them. If you have the $$$ some of the other things are nice to have. But you'll want some extra de-primer pins for your dies.

What dies are you using?
he would be buying the dillon dies from whats in his cart.. and he gets a tool head with the 556 dies with the original purchase of the press, and then he gets a second tool head when he purchases the Quick change for $108.95, that gives you a tool head and powder drop.

he would be buying the dillon dies from whats in his cart.. and he gets a tool head with the 556 dies with the original purchase of the press, and then he gets a second tool head when he purchases the Quick change for $108.95, that gives you a tool head and powder drop.

I'm not seeing that in the revised shopping cart. ???

Dillon 550B setup for 5.56. $459.95
Bullet tray. $42.95
Caliber conversion (7.62). $46.95 ----- Caliber Conversion **
Case bin. $25.95
Quick change. $108.95 ------- Quick change contents *
Strong mount. $49.95
Tool holder w/tools. $29.95

* (from dillon website) With a quick change assembly and a caliber conversion kit (sold separately), you can convert in less than a minute. Complete with: Toolhead, Powder Measure, Powder Die, Toolhead Stand.
** (from Dillon website) Contains: Shellplate, powder funnel, and locator buttons. available in all calibers; please specify caliber desired.

HA just re-read your msg... thought you were talking about the quick change kit and the tool head.. So after re-reading... the press will come with the 556 dies from how he is buying it, and then it will NOT come with 308 dies.. but I can attest they will work just fine in the press.

HA just re-read your msg... thought you were talking about the quick change kit and the tool head.. So after re-reading... the press will come with the 556 dies from how he is buying it, and then it will NOT come with 308 dies.. but I can attest they will work just fine in the press.

The $413 than it says a conversion kit is required, that bumps it to $459. I do not need dies. Make sense?

if you buy it for 413 it shouldnt come with dies or a conversion kit.. for 459 it should come with everything ready to go for the caliber you select..

Best way.. give Dillon a call. They are spectacular to talk to.. seriously.. they guys can explain things about the presses like they are sitting in front of them.

One thing i suggest, check out Inline Fabrication before buying the Dillon strong mount and roller handle. The Inline mounts are much stronger and have swing in/out bullet trays and roller handles maybe a better fit for your bench depending on the height.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top