JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reloading, the work and the fun
I wanted to tell you Guys some things about the 2 Dillon RL 1000's that I own. I have had them for over 40 years.
All of the parts are cast or machined steel and the tolerances are second to none unless you want to pay 30 or 40K.The early
ones had miniature grease fittings on all the main pins. They were eliminated early on, not sure why. Mike Dillon once told me he would never
build them again due to the machine work involved. Two years ago I decided to rebuild them both. There are no parts available in the
Dillon inventory any longer. I found two new main cylinders but all main pins and secondary pins had to be handmade.
I bought some Rockwell 60 round stock and had them turned. we had to use Ceramic tooling as Carbide was not hard enough.
We drilled the arms out for miniature grease fittings that had to go in at an angle to clear the frame. The grease that I am using is a
mixture of double 00 black Molly mixed with Tungsten Disulfide that allows the grease to permeate the steel. I don't think the pins
or main cylinders will ever wear out again. The only down side of the grease is you better wear surgical gloves when using it.
If it gets on your hands, you will have to wear it off. I had custom return springs (15) made by McMaster and Carr that had the right
tension, diameter and length to fit inside the frame at the top. Also had an extra set of main arms re-bushed for both machines.
The RL1000 does a great job metering powder, stays within about 800's of a grain. Less you are running ball powder. They run like a Swiss
Watch if you take your time and them up right. I only use them when I want to do a large run of a certain caliber. (2 to 20 thousand)
For the Bench guns, it's one at a time with Arbor Presses and the two lab scales that I have. I have many Bench Guns all built by a
Great friend of many years Steve Kostinich out of Washington State. He held three world records at one time in bench shooting, I think
he still holds one. I have won my share of wood over the years. use to go to Camp Perry and local Pistol and rifle clubs.
At almost 81 my eyes are not what they used to be. All of my shooting now is done at my own range here at my home. it's only
100 yds. but it has an all weather shoot house with concrete benches that are welded to the steel deck. The deck is lined with rubber
Horse mats so when you pull the trigger it doesn't sound like you're inside a bell.(made that mistake). We shoot through mufflers
made of double 55 gal. drums filled with tires. Keeps the neighbors happy.
To anyone getting into reloading, it takes a lot of time and the learning curve is not short. But it's a lot fun. Remember your mistakes,
you will make a lot of them but the gratification of a job well done will come when you step up to the firing line.
Your Goal should always be 5 rounds, one hole, no bigger than the bullet.

OK Guys, I usually don't say a lot, but tonight I figured I'd ramble a bit.

Thank you for getting back to me.
I guess I took it the wrong way, I doubled the guards and had them set there
phasers from stun to kill.

In answer to your question, More like two million.
Dillon rebuilt them back in about 1992. But all they did was swap old parts for new.
They addressed the pins but not the bushings. Actually the arms were just drilled
and had no bushings. when I had the spares made we put new bushings.
I am not one to take a lot of pictures, I think I have a short Vid. of the lathe
turning one of the pins but that's about it. The friend that did the machine work
used to make custom needle and roller bearings for a living. I wanted the tight
tolerances this time and he is the man to do it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top