JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm having issues setting up to load 300 blackout. Using Berry 220, LC bras trying for oal of 2.15. Getting down to that oal is damaging the brass right below the neck. Leaving a bulge, using Hornady seater die and the m1 carbine powder funnel to flair mouth a little. Not sure where I'm going wrong, loaded a bunch on a single stage finally wanted to speed things up.

Oh and do you have brass in all stations on the 550? Wondering if plate movement is a factor
Station one open, resize on single stage. 3 Hornady seating die 4th station Lee FCD.

IMG_1373.jpeg

Ah! shoulder collapsing. As Brandon suggested above, you'll probably want to give that a try.

Just to confirm, this happens on seating and not on the crimping step?

I've had shoulders collapse due to an improperly adjusted crimp die.

Ah! shoulder collapsing. As Brandon suggested above, you'll probably want to give that a try.

Just to confirm, this happens on seating and not on the crimping step?

I've had shoulders collapse due to an improperly adjusted crimp die.
Seating step, never had an issue on a single stage press. Got frustrated went springer fishing, got more frustrated lol

If its happening while seating, maybe try lubing them, l use synthesis grease in a Ziploc bag, you don't need much. If it happens while crimping its because of inconsistent case lenght and neck thickness. Plus they don't have a cannelure so the best you can do is iron out the bell.

Too much neck tension?

Have you measured the amount of neck tension you've got?

Does it happen with other non military brass?

I had this happen once when attempting to seat and crimp at the same time. Instructions said to turn the seater die out 1 full turn to not crimp, I decided to crimp in a separate operation than fiddle with setting up both at once. Got a Lee Factory Crimp die, so easy... never looked back.

I had this happen once when attempting to seat and crimp at the same time. Instructions said to turn the seater die out 1 full turn to not crimp, I decided to crimp in a separate operation than fiddle with setting up both at once. Got a Lee Factory Crimp die, so easy... never looked back.
Not crimping and seating at the same time. postion 2 powder funnel with C funnel to add flair for 220 gr bullets, Position 3 seater, and 4 lee fcd die.

Not crimping and seating at the same time. postion 2 powder funnel with C funnel to add flair for 220 gr bullets, Position 3 seater, and 4 lee fcd die.
that I cant help with, but I have heard that roll crimpers can bulge the case if set too far...

I haven't tried loading for subsonic yet, but for supersonic, I've been using 123gr SSTs with .002 neck tension (also once fired LC converted brass) and no crimp. I can drop the bolt on a round multiple times and COAL remains consistent. ES and SD are good for me.
So a couple of thoughts...With a heavy 220gr bullet, not sure what neck tension you might need, but if you are using a projectile without a cannelure, you might not want to be crimping, as I have heard that the crimp can damage the jacket. If you are able to get good seating on the single stage vs the progressive, is there a difference in the cam over between the presses with the die seated? Also, for me, I tend to be slower and more deliberate in my stroke when using the single stage vs the progressive (bad habit, I know). Are you consistent in how you apply the lever? A little difference can go a long way.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top