Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Help me pick my next "hiking pack" gun.

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by PlayboyPenguin, Nov 29, 2010.

1. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin Pacific Northwest Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

I am needing to purchase a new gun this winter so I am prepared when spring comes and hiking season is back in full swing. I carry my hiking gun is a Blackhawk waist pack (pictured below).

Previously the spot was held by my G29 (which I foolishly traded off). Now I am trying to decide what gun should replace it.

I am torn between getting another G29SF, getting a another G30SF (which I also traded off), getting a .357mag revolver (like a 3" S&W m686), or getting something completely new to me. I am even considering a .45acp Sig P250 compact. The thought of a Ruger Alaskan has even crossed my mind.

This will be a trail gun so the revolver would have some advantages power wise, but the semi-auto would have more rounds and be a bit thinner.

Suggestion or thoughts?

Fpack1.jpg

Fpack2.jpg

Fpack1.jpg

Fpack2.jpg

2. DN LuvsGuns

DN LuvsGuns Gainesville Florida New Member

kimber ultra compact II 45 cal..

great gun would fit there NO problem!!

the SIG 250 in 45 good choice also wife has that in the 40 and it is a NICE gun!!

3. Kimber Custom

Kimber Custom Vancouver, WA Bronze Vendor Bronze Vendor

I'll 2nd the Compact 1911 but I like the 4". Toss in an extra mag if your concerned about capacity.

4. MarkAd

MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

357 mag 4" S&W model 686 would be my first choice. I have not tried it in a fanny pack yet. I will check it tonigh and see how it works

5. PlayboyPenguin

4" models do not quite fit in the pack. :(

6. keystir

keystir Hillsboro, OR Active Member

I to am in the market for a trail/woods gun. After much internal debate (and probably more in the future) I have decided to go with the Ruger LCR .38 special. I had the following requirements when deciding which to purchase:

1.) Made in the USA: Check

2.) Light weight: Didn't want to regret lugging around a hand cannon the entire time I was out hiking and I think 13oz is pretty light.

3.) Firepower: I like the idea of throwing a 158 grain bullet at my target. I'm not 100% convinced that the improved ballistics of the .357 magnum out of a snubnose barrel outweighs the increased recoil and muzzle flash that comes with it.

4.) Concealability: I'm from Portland so would naturally be hiking within driving distance of the metro area and didn't want to have to explain to all the tree huggers why I have a firearm strapped to my hip. The LCR can be carried anywhere you can fit a holster including the pocket.

That's how I came to my decision, not sure if it will help but there it is. Way to rock the jorts to by the way. :thumbup:

7. PlayboyPenguin

I am going to opposite way. It can be big (as long as it fits), bulky, and heavy. It does not have to be light or concealable. it just has to be reliable and powerful. :)

8. rufus

rufus State of Jefferson Well-Known Member

Smith & Wesson M&P45 (mid size version)

Tough & reliable pistols, should fit in that fanny pack just fine. 10 +1 in .45acp is not a bad choice for a hiking gun. Can get with or without thumb safety.

9. billcoe

billcoe PDX Platinum Supporter Platinum Supporter

Here ya go since you asked, go ultra light and leave it at home. :)

10. BigCat

BigCat Portland Member

XD9 or .40. Small, holds decent amount of rounds, and reliable.

11. Decker

Decker My house Active Member

I have a S&W 686 .357 in a 3' model for hiking. Solid and compliments my marlin 1894 and is fantastic. Would a 3' fit in the pack?

-d

12. Martini_Up

Martini_Up NW USA Well-Known Member

I would get another G29. My backpack gun is an SP101 3" but are looking at getting a 629-4, in 44 or a G29...

13. jordanvraptor

jordanvraptor Oregon City, Oregon Well-Known Member

G29.
    If you are thinking heavyweights like the Alaskan then go for a G20 and call it good. I had a 329pd but never did any hiking :) It was light to carry but I never shot anything more than 240gr magnum loads. Recoil is subjective but I thought it was manageable.

14. Wenis

Wenis Tri-Cities, WA Member

I went with the Glock 20SF as my woods gun. Sure the G29 is smaller, but I go in bear country. On my last trip out, we saw four grizzlies at two different times within 200-300 yards from camp. The G20 never left my side. I was looking over my shoulder after every other cast while trout fishing.

I made a youtube video on how to carry with or without a pack on:
    Glock 20SF "Da Bear Gun" Review

How to carry with a pack on

15. Phillyfan

Phillyfan Oregon City, Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

16. PinkhamR

PinkhamR Altus, Oklahoma MSgt, USAF (Retired)-FFL Lifetime Supporter

Charter Bulldog in .44 Spcl .... 3"

17. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

Reliable and powerful seems to describe the Glock 29SF pretty well. That would be the way I'd go if I were in your situation...

18. tattoo

tattoo NorthWest Active Member

I would go for a 44mag revolver if you go deep into the woods. Something with good knock down power for the largest encounters you may have.
    Dave

19. MrNiceGuy

MrNiceGuy between springfield and shelbyville Well-Known Member

If he's going to use something with a 3 foot barrel, I doubt he's going to want to use a handgun caliber :laugh:

Personally, I'd probably go with a glock 29
    It's compact, reliable, and it holds 10+1 of 10mm.. which should be plenty for almost anything.

If I was going to stay with a semi auto and wanted something a little larger, i'd go for a glock 21 with a 50gi conversion. The 50 gi just makes the 45acp look small and noneffective.

gicartridgecompare.jpg 26100d125549311550givs1.th.jpg

gicartridgecompare.jpg

26100d125549311550givs1.th.jpg

20. HahnsXD

HahnsXD Battle Ground WA Active Member

I was going to say anything in 10mm, so G29 it is :thumbup: