JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Glock... cause we all know how reliable they are and lets face it... something COULD happen that would test the guns durability, and glocks been through plenty of those kinda tests

My next woods packer will be a Ruger New Vaquero in 357 but if you want the power get the 45 Long Colt version. The New Vaquero points natural & is nimble as a Colt but made to withstand lots rounds downrange. Loads like these from Doubletap ammo make the Long Colt 45 round a bad boy!
<broken link removed> . :s0155:

I carry a S&W 357PD - fullsize airweight .41 mag (same gun as the .44mag 329pd). Very lightweight and still shoots a .41cal 230 grain bullet.
Enough power for anything on this continent and quality revolvers don't fail, even if you fall in a river, or mud, or freezing temps, etc.... When will you need more than 6 shots...really...
For CC I carry a USP40 but in the woods it has to be a revolver.

I carry a G20 because -
10mm penetration is what I want for bears, .44 mag would be better but I don't live in Alaska where the bears are really big.
It's light but large enough to control.
My dogs have a bad habit of finding bears on hikes.
I don't need to worry about getting the pistol wet for extended periods of time, like a kayak trip.
I can strip it down to component parts with a carved down branch, swish it around in a creek and put it back together if it gets really dirty. Learned that one the hard way when a friend dropped his 92FS out of a dry bag into the sand and blocked the safety, deactivating the pistol until we could get to some real tools. We may have been able to do the work with a multi tool but would have done some damage to the pistol.
It works with minimal lube in subfreezing conditions.
They are relatively cheap so I don't care about all the wear and tear on the finish/frame.
I have not been able to neglect it into malfunctioning yet despite some hard use/carry.
It's slimmer than a wheel gun, thus easier to carry concealed for me.

Sorry PBP... but I was thinking you had a mini laptop in that massive fanny pack:p

Fpack1.jpg

Fpack1.jpg

I understand that in a SHTF situation, it's not the 1st concern, but I would lean towards a round that's not literally deafening to shoot without hearing protection. the short bbl magnums would be just miserable on the ears.

I understand that in a SHTF situation, it's not the 1st concern, but I would lean towards a round that's not literally deafening to shoot without hearing protection. the short bbl magnums would be just miserable on the ears.

Short bbl magnums are violent ear drum murderers.... having said that, I'd LOVE to own this:

S&W 329 Night Guard .44mag:s0155:

pix188515803.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've toted the Glock SF20 and I kinda feel like John Wayne...cause you know its there...but shoots great and accurate. I really like carrying your old G29 (thanks!)...its a beauty and its been my favorite. But, recently I picked up a SW Alaskan Backpacker 44mag with the Scandium-danium light weight frame...Its lighter than the G29 and will surely stop smokey in his tracks...accurate, but with a heck of a kick! I got a high riding Mernickle bear paw holster for it...and I dont know its there when I'm hiking!
Good luck on making a decision! :s0155:
329pdab.jpg

Why just one? I like my current set up: NAA blackwidow 22/22mag snake shot or just another backup and it disappears in your pocket. A Glock 23, and if you happen to be taking a day pack you can add a Keltec Sub 2000 and use the same mags as your Glock.

Why just one? I like my current set up: NAA blackwidow 22/22mag snake shot or just another backup and it disappears in your pocket. A Glock 23, and if you happen to be taking a day pack you can add a Keltec Sub 2000 and use the same mags as your Glock.

Cause you never know when the next ninja squirel attack might be coming! Also, bears and cougars now attack in packs of five or more! Might take a bazooka in cast the dinasour zombies come back to life!:s0114:

Although, I guess overkill is always better than underkill. So who am I to judge.:)

Don't say you weren't warned about the Ninja Squirrels...:s0131:

And in all honesty, the Black Widow is my daily pocket carry gun and coupled with the fact I hate rattlesnakes and it weighs nothing it works well. The sub 2000 will get close to 10mm power with a .40. So if a bear is a real worry it would work well, and also allow you to be able to take an unlucky coyote at decent range if you happened to come across one.

Don't say you weren't warned about the Ninja Squirrels...:s0131:

And in all honesty, the Black Widow is my daily pocket carry gun and coupled with the fact I hate rattlesnakes and it weighs nothing it works well. The sub 2000 will get close to 10mm power with a .40. So if a bear is a real worry it would work well, and also allow you to be able to take an unlucky coyote at decent range if you happened to come across one.

Well, it keeps your options open. That's for sure.

I went with the Glock 20SF as my woods gun. Sure the G29 is smaller, but I go in bear country. On my last trip out, we saw four grizzlies at two different times within 200-300 yards from camp. The G20 never left my side. I was looking over my shoulder after every other cast while trout fishing.

I made a youtube video on how to carry with or without a pack on:
Glock 20SF "Da Bear Gun" Review

How to carry with a pack on

I like your pick of guns.
You might try this holster too.It will go just about anywhere on your arrangement.
<broken link removed>

I have worn this on my suspenders.A little heavy,but it is perfect placement.

And as you said,no need to make it a 10mm vid,but it is a perfect round if you want a auto.

44mag if you want a wheel gun.

But as with self/home defense,you need a gun that you aren't afraid of and you can shoot consistently.
Just like self defense,if you can't hit anything/are afraid of a 454 Casull,it is a worthless round.

Take the biggest caliber you shoot good,and make it work for your hiking gun.
Then you have all bases covered.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads