JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am needing to purchase a new gun this winter so I am prepared when spring comes and hiking season is back in full swing. I carry my hiking gun is a Blackhawk waist pack (pictured below).

Previously the spot was held by my G29 (which I foolishly traded off). Now I am trying to decide what gun should replace it.

I am torn between getting another G29SF, getting a another G30SF (which I also traded off), getting a .357mag revolver (like a 3" S&W m686), or getting something completely new to me. I am even considering a .45acp Sig P250 compact. The thought of a Ruger Alaskan has even crossed my mind.

This will be a trail gun so the revolver would have some advantages power wise, but the semi-auto would have more rounds and be a bit thinner.

Suggestion or thoughts?

Fpack1.jpg

Fpack2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I to am in the market for a trail/woods gun. After much internal debate (and probably more in the future) I have decided to go with the Ruger LCR .38 special. I had the following requirements when deciding which to purchase:

1.) Made in the USA: Check

2.) Light weight: Didn't want to regret lugging around a hand cannon the entire time I was out hiking and I think 13oz is pretty light.

3.) Firepower: I like the idea of throwing a 158 grain bullet at my target. I'm not 100% convinced that the improved ballistics of the .357 magnum out of a snubnose barrel outweighs the increased recoil and muzzle flash that comes with it.

4.) Concealability: I'm from Portland so would naturally be hiking within driving distance of the metro area and didn't want to have to explain to all the tree huggers why I have a firearm strapped to my hip. The LCR can be carried anywhere you can fit a holster including the pocket.

That's how I came to my decision, not sure if it will help but there it is. Way to rock the jorts to by the way. :s0155:

I to am in the market for a trail/woods gun. After much internal debate (and probably more in the future) I have decided to go with the Ruger LCR .38 special. I had the following requirements when deciding which to purchase:

1.) Made in the USA: Check

2.) Light weight: Didn't want to regret lugging around a hand cannon the entire time I was out hiking and I think 13oz is pretty light.

3.) Firepower: I like the idea of throwing a 158 grain bullet at my target. I'm not 100% convinced that the improved ballistics of the .357 magnum out of a snubnose barrel outweighs the increased recoil and muzzle flash that comes with it.

4.) Concealability: I'm from Portland so would naturally be hiking within driving distance of the metro area and didn't want to have to explain to all the tree huggers why I have a firearm strapped to my hip. The LCR can be carried anywhere you can fit a holster including the pocket.

That's how I came to my decision, not sure if it will help but there it is. Way to rock the jorts to by the way. :s0155:

I am going to opposite way. It can be big (as long as it fits), bulky, and heavy. It does not have to be light or concealable. it just has to be reliable and powerful. :)

Smith & Wesson M&P45 (mid size version)

Tough & reliable pistols, should fit in that fanny pack just fine. 10 +1 in .45acp is not a bad choice for a hiking gun. Can get with or without thumb safety.

I am needing to purchase a new gun this winter so I am prepared when spring comes and hiking season is back in full swing. I carry my hiking gun is a Blackhawk waist pack (pictured below).

Here ya go since you asked, go ultra light and leave it at home. :)

357 mag 4" S&W model 686 would be my first choice. I have not tried it in a fanny pack yet. I will check it tonight and see how it works

I have a S&W 686 .357 in a 3' model for hiking. Solid and compliments my marlin 1894 and is fantastic. Would a 3' fit in the pack?

-d

G29.
If you are thinking heavyweights like the Alaskan then go for a G20 and call it good. I had a 329pd but never did any hiking :) It was light to carry but I never shot anything more than 240gr magnum loads. Recoil is subjective but I thought it was manageable.

I went with the Glock 20SF as my woods gun. Sure the G29 is smaller, but I go in bear country. On my last trip out, we saw four grizzlies at two different times within 200-300 yards from camp. The G20 never left my side. I was looking over my shoulder after every other cast while trout fishing.

I made a youtube video on how to carry with or without a pack on:
Glock 20SF "Da Bear Gun" Review

How to carry with a pack on

I have a S&W 686 .357 in a 3' model for hiking. Solid and compliments my marlin 1894 and is fantastic. Would a 3' fit in the pack?

-d

If he's going to use something with a 3 foot barrel, I doubt he's going to want to use a handgun caliber :s0114:

Personally, I'd probably go with a glock 29
It's compact, reliable, and it holds 10+1 of 10mm.. which should be plenty for almost anything.

If I was going to stay with a semi auto and wanted something a little larger, i'd go for a glock 21 with a 50gi conversion. The 50 gi just makes the 45acp look small and noneffective.

http://img217.imageshack.us/i/26100d125549311550givs1.jpg/

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top