JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm trying to make a similar decision, but I don't have the fanny pack limitation. I thought I had settled on a 4" .357, but after that poor guy got killed by the goat in the Olympics I'm thinking 4.2" .44 mag Redhawk may be the way to go. I'm pretty sure the .357 would cover most of the bases in Washington, but I have a feeling the .44 would cover everything but a PO'd moose.

G20. 16 rounds. More powerful than a 357. 40 S&W barrels are available to save on ammo costs. Works in all weather. Accurate. Reliable. Don't have to worry about getting it wet. Aftermarket 10mm barrels are easily available so you can reload and get the true potential of the 10mm. Easy recoil.

S&W 329 Night Guard .44mag:s0155:

pix188515803.jpg

+1

Outside the box scenario to consider...

You're hiking along and manage to trip and slide down a river bank and are injured. Perhaps you only have the use of a single hand. While composing yourself after the accident, along comes a predator.

Can you operate your side arm in your condition?

You may have to draw weak handed or any number of unanticipated things. In my opinion, that makes a case for a revolver. Though if you were to drop your gun in a creek, many auto-pistols would be better served if you needed them to function immediately afterward.

For a hiking gun, I would make sure it was one that could fire nine times in case you get injured and need to signal SOS. Decades ago my woods companion was a High Standard Sentinal II revolver in .22 Magnum, a LOUD nine-shooter that would even function with .22 standards. Taurus still makes a nine-shot .22 Magnum in stainless steel, and I think one is currently for sale here.......................elsullo

I don't know why buy I always shy away from Auto's for backpacking. My most recent goto is a 3" 686+ .357. I really like the 3" over the 4" or 2.5" it just feels better. I would say that the revolver is simple and reliable no matter how much it rains or muddy we get. I don't want to start a pissing match on what is more reliable, but for my money it will be a wheelgun in the woods and auto everywhere else.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top