JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Seriously? Try eating some sausage and cod. I'm more familiar with Norwegian cuisine, but I assume it's pretty similar.

My joke, "Ich bin ein Berliner"

Why not have both!

img_6006.jpg

You're welcome! :p

I'm being absolutely serious! I must WIN this argument. If you, for example, are serving those pastries at a breakfast or something, can you describe it as, "Have some danish..." Or must you say, "Have a danish..." or "Eat some danishes"? Is "danish" like "cake" where you can say, "I am eating cake" as correctly as, "I am eating a cake"?

Alternatively, am I absolutely out of my mind for even asking such a stupid question?:eek:

The proper vernacular is dependent on the target audience and context.

If what you are eating is a specific object then a modifier such as "a" or "The" or even "that" To wit; "I am eating a danish rather than a doughnut" or "That danish had a bug in it"

Now if you are making a blanket statement such as "Would you like danish before sex?' no modifier is necessary

There are exceptions of course. You would never use a modifier when using the term as an verb. Like if you said "That was very danish of you" implying the person you are speaking to is like a lump of flaky dough.

There are also.... Aw hell Its all Bullsnot. I dont have a clue

Well done IM, that was like a lesson :)

My take would be similar w/out the explanation. "I'm eating a danish with Danish folks". Whereas if it were a part of a whole like a pie, you may ask "would you like some pie?" I would assume for the most part that an 'a' would be added for the singular.

Some people just talk differently too, I have a friend who literally can't say certain words and just bastardizes them into something similar, like Clatskanie, even when I repeat it over and over he just blows it off. I have a good chuckle while he's a bit frustrated.

Not sure you're going to win this one man :)

Denmark is the homeland of the Danish people, individuals are called Danes.

in a sentence;

"Ollie, is a Dane, and like all the Danish people can trace his roots to Denmark.
His family tree does not have any tasty pastries on it....
.....except for aunt Leeza, but she was Norwegian."

Edited because you're so desperate for a serious answer....
They're wrong if you are planning on eating more than one. "a Danish" means a single Danish.
and
You're wrong if you plan on eating more than one, because then the correct phrase would be "eating Danishes" (plural)
Either way, it would make more sense if the proper name were used. "Eat some Danish Pastries" or "Eat a Danish Pastry".

Last Edited:
I'm being absolutely serious! I must WIN this argument. If you, for example, are serving those pastries at a breakfast or something, can you describe it as, "Have some danish..." Or must you say, "Have a danish..." or "Eat some danishes"? Is "danish" like "cake" where you can say, "I am eating cake" as correctly as, "I am eating a cake"?

Alternatively, am I absolutely out of my mind for even asking such a stupid question?:eek:
You'd eat a whole cake?

I wish I could accomplish such a feat!

"Do you want a Danish ?"
"Jim brought some Danish pastry."

That's about as deep as we get.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads