JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Jammer,

This is called price gouging and It's considered amoral by most people.

Furthermore there is a legal requirement that if you are purchasing for the express purpose of resell that you provide a reseller's license and collect sale tax for each sale. This is why you HAVE to have a business license as a requirement. If he's intending to enter into business transactions... then he needs to obey the law.
The fact you endorse this behavior and its clear violation of moral and legal standards tells me a lot.
The guy needs to get a business license, order wholesell, and sell product just like everyone else... not try and screw everyone else like a little Bitka

Actually if someone turned him in to the appropriate taxing authorities you can actually make some money in the process. I wish I could catch him and get his license number and his picture. I normally don't like the idea of snitching but when it comes to sewer rats like him I have no problem. Stevenav, I agree with you whole hardheartedly about people who condone this type of behavior..

He paid sales tax when he bought from the store. Washington sales tax is only collected once. After that, the government doesn't care who buys or sells that set of goods, because the sales tax is collected from retail, to get the highest price and, therefore, the highest tax. Once a product is sold at retail, the government doesn't care what's done with it, who buys it, or who sells it. So turn him in, and let us know how that goes.

Tell me, if you sell a car, a gun, a garden hose or a couch, do you collect sales tax? No. Because it's been paid, and you are, therefore, not obligated to do so.

A business license will get you out of paying the sales tax and into collecting it, and when I was in business, under some circumstances (like when I was going to stockpile lumber, for exactly the reasons we're discussing) it was better business to pay the sales tax when I bought it than to keep track of collecting it later. Other times, futures were a far more convenient solution, but I digress. That's a different subject, a different purpose and a different solution.

I don't know where you got your information on sales tax and business, but you should get your money back. Although I suspect that the amount you paid isn't going to be worth going after.

Price gouging is considered immoral by some people. The people here and I are evidence that it's not universal.

I applaud capitalism, capitalist, and entrepreneurship at all levels.

This guy just isn't very good at it, but at least he's out there, in the battle, betting with real money rather than whining on some board about prices.

I think this chuckle-head could be better described as a "price speculator". This is a form of non-currency arbitrage. He's betting prices will stay high and taking action to insure they will in his tiny sphere of influence by buying up the local supply before others can get to it.

While it may suck that he is acting like what many people here would consider a douche bag, he isn't really breaking any laws or doing anything immoral. He is, however, betting his lunch that he can control the supply long enough to make his tidy profit and that's not a great bet in my opinion (FWIW). We can buy ammo, reloading supplies and other items from a wide range of places and vendors and when and how we want. It may not be as convenient as walking into Cabela's but product is becoming more available every day so his scheme will be short lived. He also has a cost of money to consider and that will drive him to unload his merchandise once he starts to become upside down or runs into cash flow issues.

Don't get me wrong. It doesn't stop me from wanting to punch him in the nuts, but I have what I need now and can easily wait him out (and enjoy watching the process in the meantime).

Ok, here we go for the pissing match. I am not talking about the state, I am talking about the big boys, the ones who can make your life living hell, the IRS. Al Capone spent a number of years in prison for tax evasion, they couldn't hang anything else on the biggest gangster of the era, but once tax evasion entered the picture it was a whole different ball game. The feds have a toll free hotline to report tax evasion.

There is one hell of a lot of difference between a casual and occasional sale to which you refer to in your second paragraph and running basically an unlicensed and untaxed business. I have had 3 years of accounting and business in college(I will admit that was over 40 years ago) and believe me the real reason government agency's at the state and federal level want you to be licensed is to collect taxes. I ran a remodeling business in the 90's and am fully aware about taxes. Many years over 1\3 t0 1\2 of my income was gone before I saw it.

Since basically your esteemed comrade is not buying and selling the items at cost out of the kindness of his heart to the less fortunate members of this forum and others who have better things to do than wipe out an entire stores inventory, to resell at their profit. People have more important thing to do: like work to provide for their families, spend quality time with their families and friends and basically live. It wouldn't be so bad if he was paying income taxes on the items he was reselling at profit but he is not. He is three time a thief: he steals the opportunity for you to buy a product at a reasonable price, he steals from you when he sells to you at an inflated price the product he has denied you and he pays no income taxes on his profits so he steals again by making you pay his share of the tax burden.

I am not whining, I have all the ammo I need. I feel sorry for the less fortunate person who probably didn't have the money to stock up before things got crazy.

You seem like you belong in the "Robber Baron Era" of unbridled capitalism where mass misery was the order of the day, anything goes and when gun control laws got their start as a method to control the underclass ie the workers.

I am sure that is not what the "Founding Fathers" had in mind.

It would be great to be able to find out who these individuals are and get the word out so they get stuck with their booty.

Maybe it's just time for everyone to take a break from buying from trolls on line and let them eat it. Why bother with them when it is back in the stores? If this practice is rampant, see if you can get the vendor to presell some and keep them back for you.

Well, good news.... looks like the guy who bought out the powder is gonna eat his "profits"

Cabelas just got a buttload of primers in in marysville and had full shelves in the primer's area... and honestly it looks like the primer drought is finally over or near enough to make no diference. Everywhere I look now, primers are showing up back in stock and staying there for more than a day or two... (powder will surely follow and start sticking to the shelves again... which will lower prices as demand is slaked. Then I'll be stocking up).
They have lifted the limit of 2000 primers and they had BOATLOADS of them on the shelves. And yes, they had lots as of 8:30 pm. CCI 400s *which have been rare for a while* and lots of others in mag and non mag varieties. It's nice.

Also powder, they still actually had some 1 lbs cans of powder on the shelf. I bought 4 lbs of 800x and left a couple behind for someone else. And they are due to get more various powders in tomorrow. So it's definitely looking like we're going to start having powder back in stock... and likely that buyer is gonna be having real issues selling off his stock if the supply flow keeps opening up. Good TIMES are coming!

Sportsmans Warehouse here in Silverdale, WA yesterday had pretty much every primer you could ask for and most powders. Not the big name powders, but stuff you could make work. The last three gun stores I've been to in the last week all had primers and some sort of powder and had shelves full of pistol and rifle ammo. This guys gonna get stuck!

I was at the Lacey store on Thursday and they had all kinds of primers but I was told 2K limit on the SPP. They had like 4 powders that were all hit and miss, nothing good. All magnum pistol and magnum rifle powders. There is a special place in hell for the guy the OP described.

Lacey has also removed the limit on ammo except for 22lr bricks. all I need are 5.56 primers and lots of W748 powder. Found the W748 online but a bit steep, I thought.. what are 8 lbers going for currently?

I think my favorite quote: "a fool and his money are soon parted" seems to apply here.

If he is throwing his money around in this way, it won't be long before the same applies.

Speculating is usually a dangerous business.

Maybe the same guy will try another round to try to keep prices up. However, I see a scenario where Cabelas keeps those those items items and the guy takes it in the shorts.

I'd cut my losses but I wouldn't have been doing this to begin with.

I hope he buys as much as he can afford. This will stimulate production and supply will increase. As supply increases, demand will go down and likewise so will the prices. The hoarder/speculator should be congratulated for stimulating the process and allowing us to enjoy cheap and plentiful ammunition in the future.

If only that were the case 308. I think that the powder and bullet manufacturers are not increasing capacity more than by inches to be honest. They have months of back orders standing I'm sure, for powder at the very least. One would figure that the major players like Accurate would have seriously ramped up production, but I swear to God that I've not seen a drop of Accurate powder on the shelves in months. I can find IMR or H a bit... but Accurate... good luck. I swear it's either falling into a black hole... or the suppliers are stockpiling it and forcing up prices so they can flood the market at the inflated prices in one go.

I honestly don't think that the suppliers have any real incentive to increase capacity. As things stand they could keep pumping out stock at the current rate and have people slurping it up for years to come at vastly inflated prices.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top