JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I leave the shot gun with an empty chamber, hammer down, safety on. Not really for safety, but I am worried about having the hammer spring compressed for some long. It's probably a needless worry, but that is where my mind is at right now. Hand guns have a round in the chamber, safety on, full magazines. All firearms lock in safe, located in my bedroom, and 2 feet from the bed.

I keep my .45 chambered and on safe and on my hip or in my table top vault at home.....always.

A funny story about "racking the slide" on a bad guy though.

When I was 18 (about 24 years ago) I lived in a detached building on my mothers place. My dog then, Sheba, had a unique way of warning me as to the presence of intruders. If it was a person outside she let out a low throaty growl, if an animal, she would just bark like crazy. One night Sheba started growling at the back fence of the property which was along an easement. I took my loaded AND chambered 12 gauge to take a look. When I got to the back gate I could see the top of someone's head just above the top rail of the fence. I just stood there quietly to see what they might do. I was almost laughing inside because I had this person "dead to rights". Well when I saw the latch on our gate start to move I thought I would have a little fun. I hit the pump release on my Winchester and gave the pump a hard rack. I would swear that his hair stood straight up. He pause for a second then ran so fast that by the time I opened the gate I couldn't see him anywhere. I let Sheba out to run him down (she didn't come back for about an hour) while I had a good laugh at the thought of that guy going home to clean out his shorts. :D

If I was an intruder and heard someone trying to be Johnny Badass "racking" their shotgun, I'd probably empty my entire pistol mag into the general direction of the noise and or person holding said shotgun. Keep the gun chamber loaded! Element of surprise wins in my book. I think someone's going to be just as scared when you are already pointing the muzzle at their chest and telling them to "get on the f'ing ground".

Cocked and locked. My job to protect. The wife's job to call 911. Haven't had to call 911 from home in the night for a long time. Even then it wasn't a firearm that I needed. A baseball bat was enough to chase the neighbor punks away. Now a days, I won't even reach for the bat or nightstick. If it's as minor as the neighbor punks, the dog can have 'em.

Round chambered with full mag.

Only guns without rounds chambered are the ones in the safe. Those are all sitting by mags ready to be put into play.

I have kids. My HD weapon is a Model 66 S&W .357 mag SA/DA. It's kept in a strong box attached to the headboard with an electronic keypad. I have the combination set so that I can open it in 2 seconds by feel. The revolver is fully loaded, hammer down. All it takes is a trigger pull. I can be firing 3 seconds after I open my eyes, even in the dark.

I would not warn until I have an intruder in my sights and am squeezing the trigger. If I call 911 in a tight situation I'll just dial and set the phone down so they can record and get a location.

My CCW is a compact semi-auto that stays loaded and in my pocket.

The only reason I don't keep a round chambered in my CCW is because there's no thumb safety. It's an XD9 for the time being until I get another 1911 that fits me. Then it'll be cocked and locked, only unloaded for transport (Assuming I'm not carrying it) or cleaning.

Yes, a home invasion is unlikely, but this time of the year, it's much more likely of an unlikely scenario. My brother lives in New Holly here in the Rainier Valley and there was just a home invasion by armed intruders two nights ago. Luckily nobody was home, but those same people came up two blocks to my brothers house and broke the window to his truck. When my brother came out to investigate, they yelled something at him and ran away.

He went inside, got his shoes on and loaded his AK and got in the car to go after them. Not the brightest idea, which I sternly informed him of when he returned. I received a call from my sister in law informing me of the situation and there was nobody left at the house with any form of defense. My 2 nephews and niece (5 year old niece and nephew and 6 year old nephew) were there, along with my sister in law, her sister, two brothers, and her mom whom all live there. I luckily live less than 5 minutes away and was there in about 2 with my AR ready to go.

So yes, it is an unlikely situation, but as I mentioned, this time of year, especially depending on the area you live in, it isn't as unlikely as usual. bubblegums know that there's gifts or money or anything in houses this time of year and they try and take advantage of that. I pity the fool who thinks of my house or my brothers house (After a stern talking to about rushing out of his house with a loaded AK) as an easy target.

He only took his AK because that's all he had. He sold his last pistol a couple months back. Luckily, I had just purchased an XDm40 that same day so I left that with him along with an 870 to keep around the house instead of an AK. I had a very stern talk with him and we both spoke with the police about how far our rights go should somebody intrude our homes.

The exact words of the officer were, "The law in Washington state is once an intruder sets foot in living space, he's fair game. If all of your bedrooms are upstairs, and the intruder doesn't set foot on the stairs, you cannot within your legal rights shoot them. You can go down and beat the living bubblegum out of them, but you can't shoot them." I love meeting cool cops like that. Really helped lighten the mood of a bad night and was insightful.

For me, anything intended for defensive use is loaded, round in chamber, safety on if applicable. This is a personal choice, I've been trained and worked armed for years.
If you choose to leave an empty chamber, fine. But you must train that way, and don't do it sometimes and sometimes not. In a crisis your training and muscle memory play a large part of how you react and or act. You don't want to ask yourself "Is it chambered?" when the time comes.
If you're rational is empty chamber because of kids/visitors etc... then your weapon should be secured. An empty chamber does not preclude the possibility of an unsupervised/unauthorised person having an accidental discharge.
I have bars on my windows (ground floor at least), an alarm system (but if possible I would at least dial 911 and set the phone down), and a dog (she's small, but loud and a light sleeper). Anyone coming into my house has to get through me to get to my family. I would give warning (if possible, plus makes a great record if needed on 911 tape) before firing. But I will hunker down with my family, that's what insurance is for. Never chase after someone in or out of the house unless your family is in danger. Or the criminal probobaly won't be the only one on trial. I don't want to shoot anyone, not even a scumbag, but I will if I have to.
P.S. I agree but there is nothing cooler than a pump gun being cycled. But cool usually doesn't trump effective.

I'm in the "one in the spout" crowd. My home is about twenty minutes from the closest responding agency unless there happens to be a State Trooper passing by. I agree with others who have posted here that there is nothing in my house
I will fire for except my family.

Yup, I feed them and they live just fine in the hedge around my driveway. You can order them from a couple hatcheries, McMurray and Privett come to mind. They are kinda cool...had two loads of chicks in the three years I've owned them...and they are great guard animals. Nothing gets by the screeching devil bird.

How do they taste?

Our HD weapon in the bedroom is a 5 shot .44spl revolver all chambers loaded. A simple trigger pull and it's fired. Our second is a M1 Carbine stored downstairs. Mag right next to it.

I guess if they wear to be able to kick in my double reinforced ft door (steel locking plate 18" long with 4" screws into double old growth fir 2" X 4" studs. And a Steel plate 1/8" thick under the locks. All other doors in the house open out and CAN NOT BE KICKED IN PERIOD. Then I'll have some warning since it would take an NFL Linebacker more then one attempt to every move that door. Oh and the big glass panel in the middle has 1/4" Lexan on both sides. Not getting through that.

Can't get to the bedroom without coming up the stair that have two 90 degree turns. And every damn one of them treads makes noise. The bedroom door is locked at night.

Anyway.

No round in chamber and no round in magazine for that matter. Closest ammo is at the nearest Bi-mart. I hear someone coming I light a cigar, wait for the punk to come through the door so he can see my massive silhouette outline and rack the slide on my 870. All that's left to do is pick up the mess he left from soiling himself on the way out.

I don't keep my mossy 500 chambered because I have heard that they aren't "drop safe" even with the safety on since there is no inertial safety on most long guns. Anyone care to educate me?

I keep my SR9c in condition 1 on my nightstand pointing towards the wall (live on a hill side) so even an accidental discharge isn't going to hit anything. My fiancee has a Inox Beretta Tomcat .32 (because she wanted more bullets than a revolver and can't rack a slide :s0114: ) in her nightstand also in condition 1. I have my AK in condition 3 under the bed. I have two small dogs that sound 50lbs bigger than they are and one of them can smell an animal across the street through the door jamb. I get plenty of practice runs (at least once a week) of getting up and clearing the house because of his damn sniffer. We live in a 3 story house with the bedrooms on the top floor so there is no egress. I investigate all noises so I have to clear the house as I am not going to wait for somebody to come up to the bedroom door as they could potentially harm my little lady. I run the scenarios through my head and I am not in the slightest paranoid, but if I feel if her life is threatened I will end a life and sleep well the next night. Somebody in my yard is a world away from somebody in my house, you won't find me in my underwear on the porch lol. I have called 911 many times in my life and have been very impressed with their response time except for the last time and that ended with the guy getting 17 years for attempted murder. It took 7 minutes for them to get there and that is why I carry now. When the seconds count the police are just minutes away.

I do what the old Quaker did. He picked up his double barreled shotgun and said quietly, "Friend I would not harm thee for all the world, but you're standing exactly where I intend to shoot."

No need for a chambered round, we have a 3 year old daughter though so my circumstances may be different. I like the idea of a potential intruder having one last chance to run when he hears me rack the action on whatever happens to be at my side that night. I would never want to shoot someone, that is stupid, if nothing more than the legalities of it all. Besides, our female Doberman sleeps very lightly ;)

I will say, if a gun is going to be on your hip, it needs to be chambered. But we all obviously agree on that or this thread would have a different title:s0112::s0114:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top