JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yup, I feed them and they live just fine in the hedge around my driveway. You can order them from a couple hatcheries, McMurray and Privett come to mind. They are kinda cool...had two loads of chicks in the three years I've owned them...and they are great guard animals. Nothing gets by the screeching devil bird.

I have some Guinea Hens - given to me by someone I used to think liked me... What a racket they make! Little boogers will peck at the bedroom window if they think you're getting any sleep. :s0112:

I have no desire to try to hit intruders with a paperweight.
I believe the sound of a pump shotgun being "racked" would be the second thing you *might* hear, depending on the ringing in your ears and your level consciousness.
I also believe gun sound effects work best against intruders when used in conjunction with intense light effects, pain and profuse bleeding.
That said, if you want to come into my house unannounced/uninvited, you get to guess what that means!
The kids are grown/gone, and the other member of my household knows the circumstances and expects them to be the same as I do.

Glock 21 in night stand drawer when in bed, on my side the rest of the time, safe open at night with Saiga 12, 2-10 round magazines clipped together with an AR back up. But the dawgs pretty much keep the critters (human & otherwise) at bay, heck in most cases the dawgs do a better job than a security system, so I'm their back up. :D I love me 4 legged 60 pound mutts!

If you ain't got no dawgs, dial 911 and place the receiver under the pillow and wait them out. The police have to respond to all 911 calls. There isn't anything in my house worth some crack heads life but if they threaten me or my wife or even try to hurt my dawgs, all bets are off. If sitting waiting for the calvery the Saiga would be in my hands, 21 rounds of #7 shot should do the trick and if it don't the Glock & AR will!!!!

I find this thread amusing. If an intruder would be willing and able to break into my house. I would/will defend my house and family with lethal force with no rack of any action to warn them. They have made a concious and willing decision to enter my house and threaten my family with their presence. They will have one warning "stop or die" any funther dangerous or suggestive movements "anything that could be a reach for or near a weapon" would cause me to eliminate the threat. Period .... Me and my family are first and foremost... No pause No hesitation No forgiveness.. You break.. You enter.. You disobey a stop or ill kill.
I have to disbatch the threat.

Glock 21 in night stand drawer when in bed, on my side the rest of the time, safe open at night with Saiga 12, 2-10 round magazines clipped together with an AR back up. But the dawgs pretty much keep the critters (human & otherwise) at bay, heck in most cases the dawgs do a better job than a security system, so I'm their back up. :D I love me 4 legged 60 pound mutts!

If you ain't got no dawgs, dial 911 and place the receiver under the pillow and wait them out. The police have to respond to all 911 calls. There isn't anything in my house worth some crack heads life but if they threaten me or my wife or even try to hurt my dawgs, all bets are off. If sitting waiting for the calvery the Saiga would be in my hands, 21 rounds of #7 shot should do the trick and if it don't the Glock & AR will!!!!

Agree with you on the dogs, but not on the #7 birdshot.
To stop a home intruder I'd want buckshot of some kind. 00 is considered by many to be the shot of choice in scenarios like this.

To stop a home intruder I'd want buckshot of some kind. 00 is considered by many to be the shot of choice in scenarios like this.

#4 buckshot is a traditional urban police load often recomended as the ideal HD load.
Even at very close range birdshot cannot be relied upon to incapacitate.
21 rounds of it on the other hand would probably produce a fine red mist.

12ga round chambered, safety on, mag tube full.

carry pistol, round chambered, safety on, full mag.

AR carbine, round chambered, safety on, full mags.

I have to agree with you on this. Just FYI.
I have a 2" thick styrofoam archery target I use to hold paper targets on when I go target shooting.
After shooting some #7 birdshot at it throughout the course of the day along with some .22,9mm,.40,and .45. I packed it up and went home. While unpacking it, I was inspecting some of the damage to it.
The .22 holes were almost invisible, the 9mm and larger were fairly obvious, and the #7 bird shot was actually still in the target.
Shooting from about 15 yards, it penetrated the foam, but even with it being so thin at only 2" it was enough to stop them and trap them in their tracks from about 1/4" to 1/2" deep from the rear of the target.
This means that they only penetrated about 1 1/2"-1 3/4" from the front.

If someone broke in and you shot them with #7 birdshot from across a living area or down a hallway (about 10-15 yards) and shooting towards center mass, if they had so much as 2 layers of clothes + a decent jacket like a thicker leather or carhart jacket. It would probably penetrate the skin, but not bed itself in the flesh very deeply, and definitely not hit any major organs to permanently disable the threat.

Buckshot on the other hand has more mass and can penetrate further even despite heavier clothing.

If your going to have #7 birdshot in there for defense, you better aim for the head. I don't know anyone who would keep coming at you after being shot in the face with anything, even something as small as a bb gun or paintball gun.

#4 buckshot is a traditional urban police load often recomended as the ideal HD load.
Even at very close range birdshot cannot be relied upon to incapacitate.
21 rounds of it on the other hand would probably produce a fine red mist.
This is very true, #4 buckshot is recommended for urban environments because it has less chance of over penetration for more heavily populated areas. #2 buckshot is more effective, but does have a higher risk of over penetration as the balls get bigger and carry more mass and inertia with them. Either way, they should both get the job done, choose accordingly for your situation.

All that being said. I sleep with my 870 by the bed fully loaded with 00 buckshot, 1 in the chamber, 6 in the tube, 3 on the stock, safety on, as well as my kel-tec pf9 loaded 7 in the mag 1 in the chamber, no safety on it, under my pillow (normally on me except when I sleep, then I'm on it lol) with my tac light on the nightstand.

BTW:4 legged alarm systems are the best. They are the only alarm systems I'd trust my life to. You might be able to be sneaky and cut the lines or disable the alarms, but there is no way you can even come close to my place without my dogs letting me know.

My 2 cents;
The only time I had an actual home break in occur while I was home, I completely forgot I had a loaded Saiga-12 sitting RIGHT THERE. I chased the meth freak out with a broadsword. (Scottish Two-Hander) Only then did I realise I was a naked bald guy holding a sword. If he had been armed I might to be typing this right now.
So ever since, whenever I get out of bed - I reach down and touch the Saiga as a train-myself-to-do-this-from-now on game.

My 2 cents;
The only time I had an actual home break in occur while I was home, I completely forgot I had a loaded Saiga-12 sitting RIGHT THERE. I chased the meth freak out with a broadsword. (Scottish Two-Hander) Only then did I realise I was a naked bald guy holding a sword. If he had been armed I might to be typing this right now.
So ever since, whenever I get out of bed - I reach down and touch the Saiga as a train-myself-to-do-this-from-now on game.

I am having a lot of trouble concentrating on the thread right now. The mental image of the naked Braveheart chasing a bad guy through the house is a bit much.

My 2 cents;
I chased the meth freak out with a broadsword. (Scottish Two-Hander) Only then did I realise I was a naked bald guy holding a sword.

Note to self:Buy broad sword.
I think that a naked guy running with a sword would have a big WTF factor and scare people off more than a gun would in some cases, giving them the fear of, "OMG! This guy is crazy!"

I chamber a round on any HD weapon, or CCW. There are a lot of good reasons listed so far, but I have one more to add. First I will make it clear that I always break a gun in, 250+ rounds before I will trust my life with it, however, it still may fail. I want a round already chambered and ready to go for a self defense scenario, I would hate to have a failure to feed right when I need it most! Like I said, I break my guns in and assess their function before trusting my life with them, but if someone's threatening my life I don't want one more step where things can go wrong.
Jason

I rarely chamber. My long guns are never chambered, save for when I am at the range or hunting. I rarely chamber my pistol in everyday carry. By and large, my chamber remains empty for 4 reasons:

1. Based on past experience, I have a fear of accidental discharge. I was a soldier, and one of our buddies didn't come home after my friend had an honest accidental discharge, 100% human mistake- one that any one of us could have or would have made. This was not some dumb kid playing with a gun. This was a professional infantry soldier in the course of his duties.

As such, I only chamber a round when I get that gut feeling that puts the hair on my neck on high alert.

2. I like to think of that .25 or .5 of a second that it takes to rack the slide/pump/charging handle as less of a detriment, and more of a chance for me to go over my mental checklist titled "Is This Action Warranted".

A) Is my life or limbs, or that of a third party, regardless of their relationship to myself, in danger due to the actions of the threat(s) presented?

B) Does the threat(s) have the means of inflicting said damage?

C) Does the threat(s) have the intention of inflicting said damage?

D) most importantly, can I hit engage the threat(s) without jeapordizing the safety of non-threatening elements? In otherwords, can I make the shot without sailing it right passed the bad guy and into the old lady on the other side of the bus? Can I hit the intended target? Remember, panicked-fire is unnacceptable. It's like carpet bombing, or depleted uranium-it works, but that doesn't mean you should use it.

Having to rack the slide helps me to reaffirm what I should already know at that point-that everything is in place for me to be able to justify my actions according to my own moral code. I don't dechamber for any legal reason. It's just my own ethics. As a gun owner who carries 99% of the time, I recognize that gun safety is NEVER to be trivialized. If I f**k up, it looks bad on all of you as well.

3). I could sit around all day thinking about how I could get an edge over the dirtbag that, by some SMALL UNFORTUNATE CHANCE, would dare to enter my home without so much as implied permission..... Or I could reduce the likelyhood of my own gun killing somebody I love should, by some SMALL UNFORTUNATE CHANCE, my pistol discharge accidentally.

4). My pistol is a Glock. Yeah, I know they're all safe and whatever, but c'mon.... The trigger is the friggin' safety! It's awesome for high-threat scenarios, but Concealed Carry with a round chambered is making a very poor choice on my part.

For the record, It is a choice. Let us not find ourselves wishing that any laws are passed requiring one (chambered) or the other (not chambered).

I just want them to feel the touch of the muzzle on their scalp and hear the sound of the firing pin hitting the primer,then the bullet spiraling towards their skull.
:s0155:

But a guy with a gun shop had a daughter who heard someone on the porch,racked the slide on the pump shotgun and heard them falling off the porch as they ran away.
So it does work.

Don't the Israelis have some method of cary with an empty chamber?
They claim it's just as fast

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads