JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Mmm I don't know anyone from Israel but they do tend to win their fights. Must have a lot of accidents for them to carry with an empty chamber.
They are slowly getting away from this, but it's true, they always trained empty chamber for safety.
And yes, history shows them to be pretty efficient warriors.

I carry an unstable death ray in my trou (G27).
Not as slim, or fast as back in the day. (62, ache in several places).
But not Multnomah County stupid slow either (thanks, Bolus!):s0140:
Rick then - now.JPG
3-gun whenever I get the chance, fun practice!

I began to CC condition 1 after the Clackamas Town Center event (Dec 11, 2012).

Then, in my home, in the kitchen, my autistic 7 year old grandson tried to snatch my g27.

I re-evaluated my situation, switched to condition 3.
An extra step, a little more time invested in safety.

If someone targets me, hunts me, without a miracle, I am probably dead.
But, if someone targets someone else and I am nearby to intervene, may be a different story.

Rick then - now.JPG

looks like i'm the odd man out. I am relatively new to pistols (3 years) and new to CC (a little over 1 year).
i carry my M&P daily, but not chambered. I guess my thought process is alot like Monica's. in time i will carry chambered.

i feel it is pretty pompass of me to think that i am going to run into a situation like Clackamas town center or even an one-on-one situation and come out like "John McClane". my gun experience is hunting and target shooting. no military, no private security.

My wife has asked me "what would i do in a Clackamas town center situation?" and i told her i would get her and my child out of harms way and hole up. if the bad guy came "looking" for us then i would shoot. to be honest i would have to let the initial panic go away before i could even draw.

with the above, some are probably wondering why do i even carry? i do because if i need to use a gun i have my gun. i am in no way dreaming of a time where i get to draw. how many police officers go their entire lives and never shoot, and only draw a handful of times? its the same idea.

i dont carry chambered because with good situational awareness i dont need to carry chambered. yes there are always surprises, and yes i have racked one when my family was out and a creapster followed us into the restroom area, i even went with my wife and child into the ladies room, kept myself between the door and them and ready. i dont play with my phone unless i need to use my phone. eyes up, ears open. watching and scanning. if i need to i will. i pray i dont ever have to use my weapon.

we all think we know what we do, until we are there...like George from Seinfeld, push an old lady out of the way to safe himself. only a few people can say they would have the mental capacity to stay calm and react appropriately.

thanks for listening...

I carry my 1911 condition 1 only if I have direct control of the weapon, i.e. it is in a holster on my side. I have been known to carry it condition 2, although I rarely do that these days. If I am carrying for hunting backup or I do not have direct control, say, it's in the glove box or in my backpack, then condition 3. The only time I allow my sidearm to be without a loaded magazine is when range rules stipulate it.

An old cowboy once told me, "an unloaded gun is the most dangerous gun, it gives the impression that sometimes a gun may not be loaded." Rule No.1 : Treat every weapon as if it were loaded. I figure they might as well be.

For my small gun, I'm transitioning to my Glock23 in a SHTF IWB holster. Been carrying for a couple weeks with an empty chamber, cocked, until I prove to myself that it's not going to AD on me (which I don't believe it will). But, to be clear, the goal is chambered and ready to go....just getting used to the new holster.

DAO, chambered, IWB at 3 o'clock on the strong side. Two extra mags, 9 o'clock weak side! :cool: I've never been concerned carrying chambered, just understand your particular weapon.

Last Edited:
If you're carrying an old firearm that is not drop-safe, perhaps, but almost all guns these days (and for the last few decades) are perfectly safe carrying with one in the chamber.

However, if you have been given a guarantee that every bad guy in your future will be sure that you have use of both hands and arms, are given enough time to draw a rack your slide, AND are given enough room in which to work, then this is a great plan.

Without the political overtones some may infer from me bringing up the Trayvon Martin incident, George Zimmerman would have likely been dead or grievously wounded had he NOT been carrying with one ready to go in the chamber.

I carry a Glock, strong side IWB/OWB with one extra mag in a horizontal pouch at my belt buckle. It ALWAYS has a round in the chamber. And so does almost every handgun in my home!

Pancake holster strong side on belt under shirt, with 2 extra mags on weak side too...having had to draw my weapon last year, I am damn glad I carry chambered..it was just one less thing to worry about..

Or you could take it from one of our own :)

I realized I have never worried about either chambered rounds or safeties when carrying a revolver, but I have had conversations with self about both with semi-autos. I guess the long & heavy trigger pull makes that obsolete. I would never carry my revolver hammer cocked. ;-)

Is the scene safe?
Conscious, alert and oriented?
Person: who are you?
Place: where are you?
Event: what are you doing?

Aim high in steering
Get the big picture
Keep your eyes moving
Make sure they see you
Leave yourself an out

Cocked, locked, ready to rock?
Re-assess your situational awareness