JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"Currently" my carry gun is a G-26.:)

Carried in a Remora holster.

Which is sometimes in a soft sided briefcase, until I put it on (I don't carry when driving, it's in my briefcase...usually):D

I have not found the perfect holster for it, so stick with the Remora, and because of the WAY I carry/store it, I have a Siderlock on it.

It causes me to draw a little funny, manipulating the trigger lock, but it makes me feel safer about my carrying & I can do it proficiently now.

I have never been able to find any Stats on Accidental discharges of Glocks.......wonder why:rolleyes:o_O:confused::(

BUT, coming soon.........1911 cocked & Locked........Kimber UCC & Ruger 1911 Commander....cuz I now have holsters fer'em'.:D:D

It is good to be 2 mistakes away from an accident, and 2 is perhaps enough.

So, guns with thumb safeties can - and should - be carried with a round in the chamber, safety ON. This allows the operator to use them one-handed - a major tactical advantage if the BG is right in front of you (you may be pushing them away with the other hand).

Personally, I would not carry a gun without a thumb safety with a round in the chamber. I have thought about the risk/reward profile of that, and I do not like it.

I used to carry an empty chamber when the kids were in the house. My rationale was that loading / unloading / checking is where the accident is most likely to occur. Now that the kiddies are growed I leave it and carry it ready to rock.
I think it is best to always do one or the other. Having it sometimes hot and sometimes not is asking for an accidental discharge.

1911 cocked and locked when in sketcy areas and on first click when not. Always loaded and ready.
Every gun I own is loaded and ready. That way there is never any doubt about any of them being loaded.
An unloaded firearm is useless and just might get you killed.
Never accessible to any grandkids, but always accessible to me and my wife. We brought our sons up to know they were always loaded as well and a clear comprehension of safety and what they all could do.
Also taught them to honor and defend the 2nd and the responsibility to handle firearms in a manner that never disrespects it or do anything that would put that right into jeopardy..

If you're uncomfortable with one in the pipe (VERY common to people new to carrying) then I see no issue with carrying with an empty chamber. Racking a slide doesn't take THAT long.

But in reality, there IS no "safety issue" unless perhaps your carrying an old gun without a drop-safety.

• Assume every gun is loaded and ready to fire
  • Keep your finger OFF the trigger until ready to fire.
  • NEVER re-holster quickly and always LOOK while you're doing it so you can make sure there are no obstructions that will pull on the trigger (loose clothing, etc.)
  • MAKE SURE you are using a quality holster that fully covers the trigger and is secure enough that the gun won't fall out when running, for instance.
Follow those rules like your life depends on it and you will not have an ND.

I've been carrying daily for decades and never even had a close call. There is no factual/safety benefit from carrying a modern pistol in a holster without a round in the pipe unless you are being careless.

Rather than training you to be careless and have a fall-back save you, I'd rather you learn proper gun safety.

But like I said, if you will carry and feel safer without a round in the chamber, then do so. I'd much rather you be less than optimally prepared for a surprise situation than have you not carry at all because you don't feel safe.

d/a chambered hammer down, s/a chambered on half cock safety off
I don't carry striker fired guns because I feel the risk of a premature discharge is greater with them.

<broken link removed>

Not sure if this video is only for members to view or not, but the first DGU story in this video directly addresses the OP topic...great story.
Saw the video. Thanks for posting it.

There are very serious down-sides to carrying without a round in the pipe. It's definitely not something I would recommend.

But I also realize that CC is a PROCESS. And lots of people at first feel totally uncomfortable with one in the pipe. As they progress and their confidence increases, that attitude tends to change.

I started with a revolver with an empty chamber because the revolver I had, had no drop safety. I then went to a DA/SA that DID have a drop safety, but I was afraid to carry one in the pipe. (I didn't know a lot about guns). I progressed to carrying one in the pipe with the safety off, and then to a 1911 cocked and locked.

I was NOT unprepared in ANY of those situations. I was simply less than OPTIMALLY prepared.

I just never want a person new to CCW to be afraid to carry because the only way they hear about makes them feel unsafe. But they should also know the downsides of carrying WITHOUT one in the pipe.

If you don't understand the safety's built into your firearm for having a round in the chamber you then fear the firearm itself and should learn to handle it properly, if not own it all together.

Basically, it was designed to be chambered, then have it chambered. Anything else is misunderstanding, lack of understanding, or fear.

My beliefs and understanding is to have it ready to go, or not at all.

Therefor I carry a firearm that is always chambered and is safe to be carried so.

So, it wasn't designed to be chambered, don't have it chambered???????????

I am fearful of posters who don't proofread their posts when offering "advice".
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

North American arms pocket pistols have no safety, and the firing pin rests on the rim of a chambered round. Yet if dropped can have an accidental discharge. Series 70 style 1911s have no firing pin safety, and if dropped the sear can disengage and the hammer can drop with the safety on or off.

There are pistols that should probably not be carried with a round in the pipe. Therefor not truly designed to be carried with a round in the chamber.

Then again maybe I should have proof read.

I always carry a round chambered ( have done so everyday for the passed 20 years and have never had a problem). I even convinced my father and wife to do the same. Seconds count.

I usually carry a Glock 27 (winter gun) or my Ruger LC9s Pro (summer gun) so I don't have to mess with an external safety. One less fine motor skill to remember in a stressful situation. I have been involved in a shooting and I was lucky I was carrying a Glock. I would not have had time to rack the slide or flip off an external safety because the fight was on.

When I carry my Sigs I carry them de-cocked. ;) When I use to carry my 1911 I carried cocked and locked. I just remember to swipe off the safety when I draw and swipe on when I holster.

As far as holsters I generally use an open top paddle holster on my right hip for everything but my Ruger. I carry that in my front pants pocket in a pocket holster (Remora or DeSantis). I practice regularly drawing and shooting from the holster or from my pants pocket.

I also carry at least two spare magazines (three for the Ruger). I believe more is better.

Last Edited:
I always carry a round chambered ( have done so everyday for the passed 20 years and have never had a problem). I even convinced my father and wife to do the same. Seconds count.

I usually carry a Glock 27 (winter gun) or my Ruger LC9s Pro (summer gun) so I don't have to mess with an external safety. One less fine motor skill to remember in a stressful situation. I have been involved in a shooting and I was lucky I was carrying a Glock. I would not have had time to rack the slide or flip off an external safety because the fight was on.

When I carry my Sigs I carry them de-cocked. ;) When I use to carry my 1911 I carried cocked and locked. I just remember to swipe off the safety when I draw and swipe on when I holster.

As far as holsters I generally use an open top paddle holster on my right hip for everything but my Ruger. I carry that in my front pants pocket in a pocket holster (Remora or DeSantis). I practice regularly drawing and shooting from the holster or from my pants pocket.

I also carry at least two spare magazines (three for the Ruger). I believe more is better.
I hear you, but I think this thread is more directed to the NEW shooters who are frankly, AFRAID to carry with one in the pipe, for good or bad.

I don't think that's crazy. It's not even stupid, It's a matter of comfort level.

Again, I fail to see how ANYONE is better off choosing to NOT carry than to carry in a less than OPTIMAL way.

Sure, I'd like to see people carrying in an OPTIMAL way. But as the video Monica showed, sub-par STILL saved the day.

Ruger SR9C IWB Blackhawk size 03 leather holster made for Glock 17, 10+1 and forget the safety
it's a striker fire just like a Glock. It is equipped with a safety and I think this was so it could sell in Kalifornia.
Just draw and go bang if needed!
Since it's an IWB you really don't need any additional retention it's not going to fall out with your belt cinched tight enough to keep your britches up.
I also made an IWB for my Charter Arms Undercover same story. Plumb secure and really concealable.
Whatever you do don't buy one of these cheap soft IWB holsters they are crap and won't hold your firearm well and if you need to holster your weapon it takes both hands and a contortionist to get it to open up and say Ahh so you can put it away.
If you aren't aware of Hickock45 look him up on you tube and watch his videos on holsters, they will open your eyes.:D
Gabby

Carrying with the chamber empty is just dumb. :s0146:

If people are so afraid of the tools they have chosen to carry for their own defense, then they aren't prepared to defend themselves with it. They do not have the mindset for undertaking the serious activity of using a defensive firearm.

Mindset combined with tactics and good equipment most often leads to good outcomes, which is bad guy dead and good guy safe.

Not having a round in the chamber in a modern pistol means that your mindset is not in line with good tactics.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top